Thread: NOS Unused Vinyl Capes

NOS Unused Vinyl Capes

Anyone out there have any info on never applied, new old stock vinyl capes? I have seen a few out there and on one of the facebook groups, someone was asking about a Snowtrooper cape that had never been applied and still had 3 of the 4 punch holes intact. It seems like there are a few out there based on that post, but they are kind of hard to find even though they surprisingly do not command a huge dollar amount when they come up for sale. I use the snowy cape as an example, but it got me thinking so I did a quick ebay search of currently listed and completed listings on unused vinyl capes and this is what came up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ORI...p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-ORIGINA...AAAOSwX6Rb8WNo

Neither of these past listings seem to have a clear image or description of the capes being sold, though they are guaranteed to be authentic and no repros by the seller. I know you can do the fingernail test to check if one side makes a zipping sound or not to help verify the authenticity. The shocking part to me is how low they sold, especially for an item that doesn't come up very often. Maybe because there isn't a clear image or description? To me it seems like a piece of Kenner new old stock would demand a premium price. Were these unused capes a factory overstock find like baggied removable limbs 3PO? If so then there should be more out there in private collections and in the market, but there doesn't seem to be. Anyone have any insight?
    Last edited by WampasGottaEat2; 01-11-2019 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    Anyone out there have any info on never applied, new old stock vinyl capes? I have seen a few out there and on one of the facebook groups, someone was asking about a Snowtrooper cape that had never been applied and still had 3 of the 4 punch holes intact. It seems like there are a few out there based on that post, but they are kind of hard to find even though they surprisingly do not command a huge dollar amount when they come up for sale. I use the snowy cape as an example, but it got me thinking so I did a quick ebay search of currently listed and completed listings on unused vinyl capes and this is what came up:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ORI...p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-ORIGINA...AAAOSwX6Rb8WNo

Neither of these past listings seem to have a clear image or description of the capes being sold, though they are guaranteed to be authentic and no repros by the seller. I know you can do the fingernail test to check if one side makes a zipping sound or not to help verify the authenticity. The shocking part to me is how low they sold, especially for an item that doesn't come up very often. Maybe because there isn't a clear image or description? To me it seems like a piece of Kenner new old stock would demand a premium price. Were these unused capes a factory overstock find like baggied removable limbs 3PO? If so then there should be more out there in private collections and in the market, but there doesn't seem to be. Anyone have any insight?
    Sounds like you have the answer there, without any clear images and no real provenance, it's an easy pass for anyone who is unsure so anyone bidding is not going to bid much higher than they would for a repro (because it very well may be). If it's not a repro it's just a bonus

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebanker View Post
    Sounds like you have the answer there, without any clear images and no real provenance, it's an easy pass for anyone who is unsure so anyone bidding is not going to bid much higher than they would for a repro (because it very well may be). If it's not a repro it's just a bonus
    Yeah, I looked into his seller history and there are some negative reviews, but they all have to do with an item not shipping. He still has a 99%+ seller rating and claims to never sell repro. But who knows, all I can go with is that they were original and sold at low prices because of the uncertainty.

For true originals, factory surplus would be my guess as to their origin story anyways. There's just not many authentic unused ones out there. For the snowy skirt, according to IG, there should be a zipping sound from the cross hatch on one side and the other side is just described as "rough". The biggest distinguisher in most cases is whether it makes the zipping sound or not (at least on one side it should on all vinyls correct?) from what I've been able to gather.

Follow up questions:

1) Are there original vinyl capes that make no zipping sound at all?
    2) Are there repros that make a zipping sound?

According to IG, the answer to both these questions is no.