Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Imperial Dignitary

Quote Originally Posted by MasterRizz View Post
    I know I'm a little late to the party, but here's my opinion. I completely understand, as Jadesfire states "the opinion of bitter retro Youtubers". I wouldn't say he's bitter, but he makes some good points. Out of all the characters to make, the ID? They could have made any other character, maybe a Slave Leia, or Tarkin, or any other figure, but the chose the guy who is in two scenes? However, I must admit I like the way it looks. The purple is a nice color. My problem is $90 for him. I would pay maximum, maybe $60, and that's pushing it. I'm not taking sides, but I understand both point's of view one can take.
    So the reason they went with the Dignitary over say, Tarkin, is because ROTJ was the new hot movie. It would sort of be like when Episode 9 drops Hasbro producing a figure from Episode 7. Yes fans may want a particular character in retrospect, but Hasbro, like Kenner, is going to produce figures based on whatever the most recent movie is because it's the new hotness.

If the figure hype didn't drop out in the mid 80s with POTF there is a good chance that we would have seen a Tarkin since there wasn't a new movie after ROTJ. We saw that when they went back to the drawing board and started bringing back previous characters like Stormy Luke. Because there was no planned movie release after ROTJ, Kenner was coming up with completely new characters to continue their SW line. Check out the "Blue Binder" on SW Archives website. Ultimately when popularity started picking back up again in the 90s we did get to see Tarkin make his appearance on a POTF green card.

I go back and forth of on the feasibility of Slave Leia. I think in one since, Kenner produced Jabba's Playset with a collar restraint that they portrayed Luke wearing on the box, I suppose because they didn't have a Slave Leia. Having the collar itself seems to suggest that the idea crossed their minds at one point though. I think even for the 80s, Kenner probably thought that having such a figure would maybe be considered controversial and decided not to take the next step on it. That and what boy wanted to play with a half nude figure? Well, not in the way Kenner probably would have intended anyhow. Ultimately, we got that figure too, but sadly never in the vintage line.

The Imperial Dignitary added a level of character diversity that I feel made the ROTJ line stand out compared to the previous films. I think some kids / collectors were intrigued by the choice. I'm most curious as to whether LFL made the suggestion or if it was Kenner that campaigned to produce a dignitary. Either way, its part of action figure history, these decades later, and its trivial to suggest another character would have been better suited. That same argument can be applied to any of background characters that were released.

PS: If anyone owns this figure and loathes it - by all means, feel free to send it my way! I'd be happy to have this character in my collection. If I don't get a hold of the Kenner version, I'll continue to campaign for a modern figure in TVC.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_sidious View Post
    The Imperial Dignitary added a level of character diversity that I feel made the ROTJ line stand out compared to the previous films. I think some kids / collectors were intrigued by the choice. I'm most curious as to whether LFL made the suggestion or if it was Kenner that campaigned to produce a dignitary. Either way, its part of action figure history, these decades later, and its trivial to suggest another character would have been better suited. That same argument can be applied to any of background characters that were released.

PS: If anyone owns this figure and loathes it - by all means, feel free to send it my way! I'd be happy to have this character in my collection. If I don't get a hold of the Kenner version, I'll continue to campaign for a modern figure in TVC.

Agree. Whatever level of info Kenner had on this character prior to ROTJ's release is futal to discuss ultimately. In reality even if all they had was a single movie still, that would be all they needed to produce an intriguing character like your saying. He's creepy looking and where's bright purple garments. You don't need to know anything beyond that to know he's going to raise eyebrows. 35 years later and he's still one of the most talked about figures because of his role and appearance. Love him. Great job Kenner.

i feel like a borg should be saying "discussion is futile" but i digress. the bigger mystery is why in all these years havent we gotten a new digintary? and those two weirdoes arent the same guy we want sim aloo dammit
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 01-21-2019 at 02:01 PM.
    lando's not a man he's a power blaster

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesfire133336b View Post
    i feel like a borg should be saying "discussion is futile" but i digress. the bigger mystery is why in all these years havent we gotten a new digintary? and those two weirdoes arent the same guy we want sim aloo dammit
    I think they did one for Hasbro's 2003 ROTJ release. He doesn't quite capture the creepy pope feel though

We had it good back in 2003 when the Saga Collection gave us two dignitaries as action figures, why they stopped there is beyond me, considering collectors have been asking for a resculpt of the Kenner Sim Aloo ever since. In the most recent Fan's Choice Poll, he ranked in the top 6 - so they know the demand remains strong. I've always liked the dignitaries, so I hope its something they consider for TVC, since they're releasing Yakface this year, another of the top 6.

There is another dignitary named Sate Pestage, that looks very similar to one of the 2003 releases, so I used that head, along with other parts to create a custom. I think that might be how some of us complete our collections - we make them ourselves!

I wonder if we'll ever have ALL of the Dignitaries from ROTJ? According to a brief image search I did last night, there were five of those guys: Sim, Janus, the other guy they made along with the Janus figure; another who looked a great deal like Janus, and then the ridiculous blue telly-tubby guy.
    "Evacuate? In our moment of triumpth? I think you overestimate their chances!"

There are actually six in ROTJ, five of which appear in the prominent promotional image. Here are a couple screen grabs I found on google:

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper1138 View Post
    I wonder if we'll ever have ALL of the Dignitaries from ROTJ? According to a brief image search I did last night, there were five of those guys: Sim, Janus, the other guy they made along with the Janus figure; another who looked a great deal like Janus, and then the ridiculous blue telly-tubby guy.
    i though that the other guy released along side janus,(i think his name was kreen blista vanee or something like that. the fat guy with the gw hat) i thoguht he was the tellytubby guy?
    lando's not a man he's a power blaster

1.) Sim Aloo (Kenner) - 1985
    2.) Janus Greejatus (Hasbro) - 2003
    3.) Kren Blista-Vanee (Hasbro) - 2003

4.) Sate Pestage (never produced)
    5.) Ars Dangor (never produced)
    6.) Unidentified (never produced)

The top three are canon names for the characters, while Sate Pestage (dressed similar to Janus, but with black / red) & Ars Dangor (all blue) are speculation based on material from the Star Wars website, if I recall correctly. In the EU, both Sate Pestage and Ars Dangor survived and returned to Coruscant, I believe. There is a behind the scenes image of the sixth dignitary (cant seem to locate it), still unidentified, and not even speculated about because he didn't appear in the group photo...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast