Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance

Actually, it’s a prequel about 3 new gelflings on a quest...and sorry, Aughra IS back.

Aughra is an essential element, she's one of the building blocks of the planet Thra, I'm glad she's returning. She's also easily one of my favorite characters - the design, voice, personality, backstory - its all fantastic.

She’s a great presence in the original story, no doubt. But this new story didn’t need to include her. They’re including her because as usual with this era in franchises, they’re afraid to take any creative risks and tell new stories with new characters, and always rely on the familiarity of proven old favs to ensure brand recognition.

People have accused the main character from the OG story of being bland and forgettable. I thought he was fine. It’s a very sombre, and simple story that’s true to its old-world fairy tale roots, and Jenn fits into that very unique old-fashion tone and not the brand of gimmicky, everyman Hollywood-trope. Jim’s vision felt like something from another era, another time and for that, the story and the visuals have remained timeless. That’s the essence of The Dark Crystal that I hope will be in this new era. And that's why I adore The Dark Crystal and loathe the insufferably-dated Labyrinth.
    Last edited by farmer; 12-20-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    She’s a great presence in the original story, no doubt. But this new story didn’t need to include her. They’re including her because as usual with this era in franchises, they’re afraid to take any creative risks and tell new stories with new characters, and always rely on the familiarity of proven old favs to ensure brand recognition.

People have accused the main character from the OG story of being bland and forgettable. I thought he was fine. It’s a very sombre, and simple story that’s true to its old-world fairy tale roots, and Jenn fits into that very unique old-fashion tone and not the brand of gimmicky, everyman Hollywood-trope. Jim’s vision felt like something from another era, another time and for that, the story and the visuals have remained timeless. That’s the essence of The Dark Crystal that I hope will be in this new era. And that's why I adore The Dark Crystal and loathe the insufferably-dated Labyrinth.
    I agree with everything you said. Only difference is I do still like Labyrinth. Which interestingly, I didn't see, until I was an adult. Not to get too far afield off-topic, but, I've long maintained that the farting sound the stones make in the bog of eternal stench was solely (and I have no evidence to back this up) the creative decision/suggestion of... one of... the executive producers. One who years later might find humor in, oh, I don't know, farting beasts of burden called Eopies, or perhaps stepping in some icky icky poo.

Wow...have you actually read the new story...that’s a bit premature don’t you think. Her character is ancient...it makes sense she would lend knowledge or advice to the new characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post

^^^ I appreciate she's ancient. Doesn't mean she needs to be in this new series.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    I agree with everything you said. Only difference is I do still like Labyrinth. Which interestingly, I didn't see, until I was an adult. Not to get too far afield off-topic, but, I've long maintained that the farting sound the stones make in the bog of eternal stench was solely (and I have no evidence to back this up) the creative decision/suggestion of... one of... the executive producers. One who years later might find humor in, oh, I don't know, farting beasts of burden called Eopies, or perhaps stepping in some icky icky poo.
    Did you happen to watch Labyrinth with your kids, Pete? A dad will always be more tolerant of anything if their child (mostly a daughter) finds joy in it. Itís the only reason why adult men put up with Frozen.

I adore David Bowie, but I canít stand to watch him in his 80s-pop/glam drag as The Goblin King. Labyrinth just feels and looks like an expensive, extended Muppet (Variety) Show guest staring Bowie, run amuck. And an inexperienced Jennifer made Jake Lloyd look like a natural.

Iím not even phased by fart/poop gags, those are the least of Labyrinthís problems. Apparently, itís funny to the kiddiesÖ and Iíd imagine it will still remain funny to the kiddies 100 years from now. Labyrinth just drags, and nothing of consequence is ever shown beyond slapstick. I get people loving it for that brand of PG-rated cheap thrills and for itís musical numbers: Itís harmless nostalgia camp that doesnít really push the art of puppetry. And as an adult man who canít stand musicals and musical numbers, itís so unbearably flimsy not just conceptually, but visually. If Iím in a generous mood, Iíd say itís.. cutesy fluff.

The Dark Crystal feels and looks like an adult fairy tale that dares the adventurous kiddies to experience it. It's just visually uncomfortably, unfamiliar, twisted, creepy, nightmarishó and still ethereal, otherworldy-beauitful, visionary, and thank Godó not a single musical number. I mean, even the soundtrack is unsettling. And at its core, itís just a simple story. Itís the exact same reason ANH remains so potent. Simplicity is eternal.

(Canít say Iím excited about this new series. Iím absolutely open to it though. I hope it remembers to be expensive and daring like the original. Iíll say the same about the new SW series.)

ANH is potent because it “borrowed” from Joseph Campbell , f@iry tales, Grimm, The Searchers, Grail lore, Kurosawa, Westerns, Hidden Fortess, Hans Christian Anderson, and half a dozen other sources. Sorry you’re let down by concepts of a series that isn’t even on yet. My gut feeling is you’re going to be disappointed no matter what they do. How is Aughra any different than Yoda by the way? She may not be that big a component of this sequel.
    Last edited by jedisquared; 12-21-2018 at 02:33 PM.

Aughra's presence might boil down to Yoda's appearance in TLJ, brief but meaningful. I actually prefer she maintain a strong presence, because I think she binds all the DC stories together, but that's just me. For the next generation of fans that haven't seen DC, including Aughra is all the more important. Introducing her, the Skeksis, and Mystics, will help the new fans fall in love with the story the way we did as kids. She's an overpowering personality, but I think she'll add to the development of new characters, not take anything away. Even if she becomes a scene stealer, I think she's just as important, if not more than the new characters - lets be realistic, she existed long before and long after the reign of both the Gelfling and the Skeksis.

On another note, is anyone interested in seeing a company explore merchandise for the series? Funko did a great job with the POPs for DC and Labyrinth, and the Reaction line of 3.75 action figures were nothing short of amazing.

I wish I’d gotten a lot of those DC figures when they were at Toys R Us...just amazing. Didn’t have any room to display them. Funny, I just picked up the 7.88 Blu-ray of Dark Crystal at Walmart not that long ago. I have a studio press kit up for sale on eBay under jonthejedi.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast