Thread: Sise Fromm - Just how rare is this figure?

Sise Fromm - Just how rare is this figure?

Between 1977 & 1985, Kenner manufactured 300 Million Star Wars action figures, but they didn't make a lot of Sise Fromm figures. Today he exists as one of the hardest figures to find in the Star Wars line. (If not the hardest figure to find - next to Vlix). But exactly how rare is he?

We know that both Sise & Tig Fromm were only released for a short time in the USA - but they were not included in the Canadian release of the Driods line. During the time that they were on the shelves, they were not popular figures. Many were sent directly to the clearance isle and it would be quite a challenge to find a child that actually played with these. From there, it looks like they may have been sent out to liquidation chains - with a large percentage being sold off by Kay-Bee in the late 1980s. This is evidenced by the Kay-Bee price tags that exist on a lot of the MOC examples that survive today.

Relatively, when compared to "rare" figures like Yak Face and Blue Snaggletooth, it appears that there are far fewer Sise Fromm figures out there. On the rarity scale, Sise Fromm might just be the rarest production figure in the Star Wars line - second only to Vlix. He is certainly the rarest Star Wars figure released in the USA. I often wonder if the number of USA Sise Fromm figures is comparable to the number of Glasslite Vlix figures in terms of production numbers. It may appear that there are more Sise Fromms out there simply because more of them survived "The Dark Ages" (1985-1995) than Glasslite Vlix did - but that would only account for current population numbers and not actual production manufacturing numbers.

All of this being said, we now have data in the form of completed ebay sales, population reports of graded examples, etc. that can provide some more evidence as to how many Sise Fromms are out there in the collecting community. It does seem that this figure is so much rarer than once thought. One area of data that is not commonly known would be case assortments and wave distribution. Was Sise Fromm released in every case of Droids figures? If so, how many figures per case were released? Were there any full case assortments of just Sise Fromm released? (I doubt it).

I have a theory that Sise Fromm was likely one per case - due to his large size, soft goods cloak, and relative obscurity as a character (villain). I also have a feeling Sise Fromm may have been added to the wave assortment late in the game - meaning that it was not included in the earliest case assortments. Does anyone have any info on the actual wave and case assortments of the Droids line? That data could add some valuable clues to the mystery.

Regardless, Sise Fromm is quite an intriguing figure. The complete story of it's rarity has still yet to be told. I really look forward to finding out as much info as I can about this elusive (and expensive) figure!
    "A Death Mark's Not An Easy Thing To Live With"

About the same as R2-D2 and C-3PO from the Droids line. Tig is up there too, but those three are the rarest of the series.

You can find any of them, they just might not be on ebay the moment you look, save a search on him, and one will show up probably in under a month.
    ROTJ/Revenge Focus Collector - Help me complete the 79 Proof run!

Yeah, I didn't think Sise Fromm was THAT rare. I see him on ebay from time to time MOC; not so much loose. What about Boba Fett MOC? Other than Vlix of course, I thought the Fett man was the rarest and by far the most expensive... or are we only talking about the DROIDS figures and not the A-Wing or Boba Fett release on the DROIDS card?

I think its possible that Sise & Tig Fromm were short packed, being limited to one per case, and weren't carried forward in future assortments. I vaguely recall seeing them at KB Toys for $1, when I was a kid, but I didn't pick them up because I had no idea who they were! I've always wondered if KB discarded the unsold stock, sending some figures to charities or landfills, making them more rare, because they weren't exactly flying off the pegs on clearance...

Quote Originally Posted by Fratboy24 View Post
    About the same as R2-D2 and C-3PO from the Droids line. Tig is up there too, but those three are the rarest of the series.

You can find any of them, they just might not be on ebay the moment you look, save a search on him, and one will show up probably in under a month.

I think with Sise and Tig Fromm the lack of supply is what creates the demand. For R2 and C3PO, it's the demand which causes the lack of supply.

I don't know VlixHunter... I think you have a huge stash of Sise Fromm's, loose and carded and you are trying to convince us all it's a super rare figure, right before you try to sell them all!!!!

I'm kidding of course, but if you do have one for sale.....

I always say he’s very rare just look at eBay auctions compared to blue snaggletooth (who sometimes seems more common than red snag) or yak face even. The difference is yak and blue snag are more desirable than sise fromm. If the day comes that people absolutely feel they need to collect the droids line or need sise in their collections, he will end up being a monster. I would take a guess as to how many weren’t sold even during closeout with no place to be repackaged if sold again because the line was completely done. I’m sure a lot of sise fromms were destroyed or went to some unknown place.
    Trade Feedback
    http://forum.rebelscum.com/t919503/

Looking for any type of Snaggletooth prototypes- New or vintage!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadMotivator View Post
    I don't know VlixHunter... I think you have a huge stash of Sise Fromm's, loose and carded and you are trying to convince us all it's a super rare figure, right before you try to sell them all!!!!

Ha! I wish. I don't own a loose one, but the one MOC Sise Fromm I have definitely has a KB Toys clearance price tag on it - marked down to $1.00!

That's downright sickening considering the price these things go for today. I have a Lady Gorneesh carded (nowhere near mint) that has a KB price tag of 4/$1.00. If only I could drive 88mph with 1.21 gigawatts.