Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Boy! Overstreet releasing Star Wars collectible price guide

Oh Boy! Overstreet releasing Star Wars collectible price guide

It seemed inevitable someone would release a mainstream price guide. Overstreet, popular for pricing the comics industry for years, is releasing an official price guide. I thought it would happen a few years ago. Could it ever be possible that prices will be referrred to as "Overstreet Price" like sports, game and hobby cards are referred to as "Beckett Price?"

Could this hurt Star Wars collectibles? Help it? Maybe only end up as a small blip on the map? Maybe level out some of the crazy eBay prices? Maybe educate collectors as to authenticity of sealed items, reproductions and fakes? They would be smart to include a section outlining the ins and outs of collecting. Like they've done with comics grading, with they define and describe grading factors?

Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    It seemed inevitable someone would release a mainstream price guide. Overstreet, popular for pricing the comics industry for years, is releasing an official price guide. I thought it would happen a few years ago. Could it ever be possible that prices will be referrred to as "Overstreet Price" like sports, game and hobby cards are referred to as "Beckett Price?"

Could this hurt Star Wars collectibles? Help it? Maybe only end up as a small blip on the map? Maybe level out some of the crazy eBay prices? Maybe educate collectors as to authenticity of sealed items, reproductions and fakes? They would be smart to include a section outlining the ins and outs of collecting. Like they've done with comics grading, with they define and describe grading factors?
    Price guides have been meaning less for going on two decades now...the book might be cool if it has good pictures and is presented well but nothing will replace most recent Ebay "sold listings" as a meaningful value of any item that is readily available anymore.

If they had a price guide app they might be on to something but the problem with that is the variance in item condition versus actually looking at the items sold in sold listings and seeing the condition for yourself

edit: with regards to educatng buyers, again, most of the vintage star wars market already knows the "ins and outs" better than a decades late to the party publisher, and once again for real expertise constantly updated resources like Imperial Gunnery are more up to date and reliable than a finite book of some sort.

Collector books should be more about presentation than information
    Last edited by aaronthebanker; 11-10-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Guys I use Star Wars Tracker App and it's awesome for pricing!!!! The Vintage Rebellion Podcast hooked me up with this app. Starwarstracker.com and you can download the App. It does cost however but worth it for up to date averages for items. A great way to log your items for insurance purposes as well as an electronic checklist with pictures or you own pictures.

Agreed. Once printed, it is immediately out of date. It can't be updated like the SW Tracker App.

Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post

I have multiple hobbies outside of SW and one of them is arrowhead and artifact hunting. I use Overstreet for identifying and pricing projectile points and it works well for them, but they are also thousands of years old so 5 or 10 years between editions does not make much difference in terms of price and scarcity. For Star Wars collectibles I think an Overstreet book would just be a novelty piece that without a doubt will be dated within the first year. Depending on how they put it together, however, could make for a good reference book. I'll support print copies until the day I die because I like to have a physical book in hand, but there so much easily attainable info on forums, facebook, ebay, etc. that I don't think I would buy it as a price guide or reference personally. I don't think that the community really needs another reference book/price guide as of today unless it offered an in depth look at a specific collecting niche.

This thread lead me to check out this Star Wars Tracker app. It's interesting. The one major problem I see with it is that it doesn't seem to take condition into consideration. I can see the average price of a MOC, graded and ungraded, but either I'm doing it wrong, or there is no way to see what grade or condition something was in. So if i want to see what my AFA 80 12 back Leia is worth, it's hard to tell, because the average for MOC's includes figures of all conditions. So to use it as a tool for pricing, I think i would need to know the conditions. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Also, I concur with pretty much everyone, a printed "price guide" has no chance of being a current representation of the market which seems to me to always be in flux.

A printed price guide is obsolete the second it comes off the press.

Bad Motivator
    On the Star Wars Tracker App when you click on an item it will have a High, Average, Min and volume. On the left hand side of your screen it has 100%, 90%, 80% and ect.. down to 10% and that's the condition of the items.

Quote Originally Posted by cichlidjedi View Post
    Bad Motivator
    On the Star Wars Tracker App when you click on an item it will have a High, Average, Min and volume. On the left hand side of your screen it has 100%, 90%, 80% and ect.. down to 10% and that's the condition of the items.
    Okay, i see that, but what do the percentages mean? 80 percent mint?

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadMotivator View Post
    This thread lead me to check out this Star Wars Tracker app. It's interesting. The one major problem I see with it is that it doesn't seem to take condition into consideration. I can see the average price of a MOC, graded and ungraded, but either I'm doing it wrong, or there is no way to see what grade or condition something was in. So if i want to see what my AFA 80 12 back Leia is worth, it's hard to tell, because the average for MOC's includes figures of all conditions. So to use it as a tool for pricing, I think i would need to know the conditions. Anyone have thoughts on that?

Also, I concur with pretty much everyone, a printed "price guide" has no chance of being a current representation of the market which seems to me to always be in flux.
    U hit the nail on the head...not only condition but listed with repros (obviously ALOT cheaper and more plentiful than true complete figures so skews all the numbers WAY down) and anything else is thrown into the average. I liked the app as a checklist but about as worthless as the printed price guid for value

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast