Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The long road of evolving my Pit of Carkoon diorama (WIP 5/23/19)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The long road of evolving my Pit of Carkoon diorama (WIP 5/23/19)

Whew- time to get back into enhancing an older diorama! This one has been long in the works, as some of these pics show. The timing of coming back to this was not due to the upcoming Haslab barge (as I was one of the few longtime collectors that did NOT purchase one); just coincidental because it was showing its age. The very first iteration was circa 2003, with a less accurate barge built into the wall and a terribly boring Pit of Carkoon made from a bedsheet draped across a couple platforms and a simplistic Sarlacc between them:

First Version:

I later enhanced the barge with more accurate railings, shorter sails, and a richer (but inaccurate) greenish paintjob.

Next version:

After a flooding and ruining of the sheet (thankfully), I molded a landscape from a chicken wire frame to at least somewhat look like a diorama base, and covered it in another sheet and a little plaster and sand. The problem is that it was still too gritty and still obviously a sheet.

Next version:

I was very happy with the Sarlacc itself, but it had since crumbled so I'll have to make it once again:

And the last 2 problems I had included that the base curved down in the front (I really wanted to emphasize the "Pit" if I could), and the fact that the support rods for the 2 skiffs were vertical and very obvious to the viewer (despite trying to cover them with a fabric piece):

So, I revisited this one by removing the damaged Sarlacc and the skiffs, and cutting a semicircle on the sheet so that I would be able to angle it upwards to form an eventual bowl-shaped base. Note the newly-angled support strut for the hero skiff:

I then started to bend the wireframe to form the bowl shape. Thought the angle of the pic is not ideal, note the better-hidden support strut compared to before.

I brushed away all the sand and coated the whole surface with plaster; I'll do a second coat and get it really smooth before painting it and putting some sand back.

Later work will involve a repaint of the barge to its more brown/less green base color. More to come!

Last edited by Daigo_Bah; 05-23-2019 at 08:54 PM.
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

Looks great so far. The base for this is difficult since it is so uneven.
    If it isn't too late, the hole wasn't round as it had a ravine one the left side.
    Also, did you consider using clear rods for the skiffs?

You're right about that ravine; I thought about trying to emphasize it it the "rocky" part that I'm going to resculpt, but it may not be too late to sort of mash in and re-plaster the one side! For the clear rods issue, I thought those might be too costly compared to the wooden dowels, but the new angled approach is making a difference that I hope will show in the pics!
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Since it is Xmas, you might find a large clear plastic candy cane (filled with candy). It might make a good rod. I've also seen clear rods for venetian blinds but IDK how expensive they would be. Clear plastic stirring sticks might be strong (and tall) enough, as might plastic wine glass stems. Cut glass or acrylic are also possibilities.

Well, I decided to try to camouflage the rods with a better "hill" of plaster, that I'm confident will do the job after I paint it all up and can make a more shadowy color for the support structure compared to the rest of the environment. What else is new includes that I pulled the skirt sheet up and directly hot-glued it to the rim of the bowl's edge, then coated it in plaster to blend. These pics don't go in very close, but I sanded down the plaster and got it fairly smooth. In a couple days, I'll sand once more then paint the whole thing a nice tan-orange before putting some actual sand back in.

That's looking great! I can't wait to see it with sand and the Saarlacc.

I also didn't buy the Barge as it is something I have always wanted to make.

That looks sooooo good!!!!
    If the Rebels have obtained a complete technical read-out of this station it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness. . . and exploit it.

Thanks, bud! And here are a few pics of the mouth in place:

Holy ****! That is perfect! You should produce these for us!!!
    If the Rebels have obtained a complete technical read-out of this station it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness. . . and exploit it.

Stang! That looks fantastic.

Of course, I hate you now because I feel compelled to upgrade my own version now since it pales in comparison.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast