Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The long road of evolving my Pit of Carkoon diorama (WIP 5/23/19)

Stang! That looks fantastic.

Of course, I hate you now because I feel compelled to upgrade my own version now since it pales in comparison.

Outstanding job on the sculpting, and the paper towel is genius! I never would have thought that cool of a texture was possible with such a simple product.
    take a look at my Millennium Falcon project at: http://forum.rebelscum.com/showthread.php?t=1003955

Wow great work Greg amazing stuff. The sculpting on the tentacles is perfect. You have captured the crawling of the tentacles along the side of the pit. It is subtle but take something from beautiful to brilliant. The pit walls with tentacles again brilliant perfect amount of detail. Those that don’t sculpt don’t realize it is so easy to over-sculpt something. You have to have the right amount of detail but not to much. The error I always make is over sculpt and in the process it doesn’t look right. I am curious did you order the sail barge? I have to get my pit fixed up. Some of my tentacles have broken, now that I have seen your tentacles I might re-do mine and copy your pattern if that is cool with you. The repaint on the sciffs is perfect. I am trying to figure out how did it. Great work!

Thanks so much, guys- JJep, your Carkoon is the standard in diorama-making, so I'm honored by the kind words! I didn't actually back the Barge (so I'm thrilled that it oversold at the end) because I really was just intent on having mine as a background piece of set more than a toy. I'm confident the improvements I'm making will be able to better justify skipping the purchase!

Edit: here's a pic starting the process on the barge; I cut out openings for the windows that I'll soon replace with opened panels cut with slits. I've also since put some foamcore frame pieces inside to fill out the body a bit, not shown in this pic.

Last edited by Daigo_Bah; 01-11-2019 at 11:55 PM.
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

And here is a pic of the window slats cut out of posterboard and super-glued onto the foamies that were there before. I haven't decided whether to cut out the slits in the foamie too, or just leave it embossed like it is now (I'll have to test it).

Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Looking good so far.

I have a question: Do you think if you had used a textured J-cloth instead of paper towels that you could have playability with the scarlacc mouth?

Huh, could be, and I wonder if a little air pump underneath could be squeezed from a handheld bladder to simulate the quiver of the mouth after a foe is swallowed! It would be a cool effect, but I'd probably use it once and forget about it . I finished the window slats (that was some monotonous precision cutting!) and placed them in the open window holes. I'll have to do a little altering here and there but this is essentially how it will remain. It's funny because the upper deck windows are open in a couple shots, but closed in others. I have also since cut a new steering vane (not pictured, that'll be the next update), because my old one was about an inch too small in height and length, and was placed too far toward the rear by about an inch as well. I removed my old propulsion engine from the rear too, to be remade and detailed. Probably can't tell in these pics, but I added several support struts inside the body of the barge to bulk it outward a bit.

Last edited by Daigo_Bah; 01-20-2019 at 11:29 AM.

I love comparison shots; Sarlacc old and new:

Last edited by Daigo_Bah; 01-20-2019 at 11:36 AM.

What a huge improvement!

Thanks, I hope so! Here is a pic of the start of the extra detail panels on the larger panels; I'll have to do this for all of them including the house-shaped lower large panels too.

And I am close to finishing the new steering vane- just needs a few details, but see the accuracy and size comparison to the older one:

A test fit of the new vane:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast