Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Silly Seller's

Silly Seller's

Greetings. Today, I have been thinking about seller's I've previously met that think everything they have is golden. OR who rob themselves of true gems. Today I got a Minty MOC ROTJ Vader for $20. They appear to be going for much more than that these days. I once had a guy tell me a urine yellow Stormtrooper with no gun was worth $30. I had someone try to sell me a 90's Boba Fett for $25. Do you guy's have an interesting stories to share about people like this? I'd love to read them.
    Cheer's,
    MasterRizz

Yeah I guess every seller is different. In my experience, sellers that have been in the game a while are more often than not fairly pricing their pieces to market value. Others who haven't been in it as long may not know what they have exactly, especially if its a rarer variant, ledy, etc. And still others are scammers passing junk on as original. I've seen the full gamete of sellers. Really boils down to the buyer, not the seller, doing their due diligence and knowing what they're buying. I am curious about the ROTJ Vader you got. Was it an ebay find or somewhere else? Only asking because at $20 that makes my ears perk up about the legitimacy of it. Could be that the seller didn't know what it was though. Price seems cheaper than a recarded price even. Would love to hear the story on it!

Ya (No offence to anyone I traded with) but this is why I hate selling Star Wars stuff. I try to post the best pictures I can & hope I get a good price. I found that what Ebay says something will sell for isn't always the price.

Generally its up to the buyer to say it worth X amount. & the market to support it. Generally its also a lot of luck that I'm selling something at the right time.

That said, I've often negotiated with sellers who are trying to get what they over paid back in the 90s on something, when its just not worth that much. Lot of flee market tables with old junk, that would actually sell for market price.

But unfortunately I also been in the position with ebay/other selling shipping fees etc that it costs more to sell & I lose money.

I learned the hard way with a buyer in China just not to even try to sell there. (Guy argued about the price of shipping & then filed a paypal complaint once it "didn't" arrive (it did)

One strange tatic I found is something listed at a ridiculously low price, but the set shipping fee is really the cost of the item. Always wary when I see that.

Anything with suspect pictures, blury, additional items in the picture or odd descriptions can get an easy pass from me.
    The answer to every Star Wars question ever:
      Spoiler:  
    Its just a movie!!!!!!!!!!

Feedback BST
    I love this Bar! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU3_zzZQzx0

Quote Originally Posted by VideoViper View Post
    Ya (No offence to anyone I traded with) but this is why I hate selling Star Wars stuff. I try to post the best pictures I can & hope I get a good price. I found that what Ebay says something will sell for isn't always the price.

Generally its up to the buyer to say it worth X amount. & the market to support it. Generally its also a lot of luck that I'm selling something at the right time.

That said, I've often negotiated with sellers who are trying to get what they over paid back in the 90s on something, when its just not worth that much. Lot of flee market tables with old junk, that would actually sell for market price.

But unfortunately I also been in the position with ebay/other selling shipping fees etc that it costs more to sell & I lose money.

I learned the hard way with a buyer in China just not to even try to sell there. (Guy argued about the price of shipping & then filed a paypal complaint once it "didn't" arrive (it did)

One strange tatic I found is something listed at a ridiculously low price, but the set shipping fee is really the cost of the item. Always wary when I see that.

Anything with suspect pictures, blury, additional items in the picture or odd descriptions can get an easy pass from me.
    Yes and just to add onto what you said about shipping, I only ship to the lower 48 states when I do sell on ebay, which is rare these days. Ebay always will side with the buyer and far too many good sellers have had a bad buyer pull one over on them. This past spring I sold a large imperial shuttle and marked the shipping price at $30 because that's what it would cost ship it across the country. I mean it a pretty large box and it's got to be properly packed to make sure it arrives safely. The buyer ended up being one state away from me and the shipping cost was only $18. The buyer made a fuss about it being too high even though it clearly said "by buying this item you agree to the $30 shipping and handling fee." Ebay still sided with the buyer. That left a bad taste in my mouth and I've since sold very little. So just be careful with buying or selling anything with too high of a shipping fee or Ebay can get you for it. Doesn't seem fair, but I guess that's how it goes.

The ROTJ Vader story:
    Yesterday, I decided to take a trip to my local Comic Book Store.One guy was valuing out late-90's to early 2000's Star Wars figures. I turned to their Star Wars shelf, and the figure caught my eye. I also found a Biker Scout, but the card had rather large rips in it. I found it odd that the scout was more than the Vader, but I figured I shouldn't ask questions. I also got a mint ERG, which was $30. I picked them both up with no tax. Apparently they had bought some guy's collection, and that was in it, as well as the Hasbro Rocket Fett. It came in an Original Trilogy plastic case. I can assure you it is original. It was a nice little find. Almost better than the time I found an Uncle Gundy for $1. Speaking of eBay, I've never bought from it (too young to have PayPal).

Thats a deep rabbit hole for sure. We can go on for days with this topic.

Right now on ebay , you can buy the toy catalog insert for boba fetts mailer for only 295.00 with shipping costs to boot.

Of course, well all know that this particular insert was available in a few different toys.

Let's keep this coming. Haven't even hit the top of the iceberg yet.
    F.S.C.M.E. Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by MasterRizz View Post
    The ROTJ Vader story:
    Yesterday, I decided to take a trip to my local Comic Book Store.One guy was valuing out late-90's to early 2000's Star Wars figures. I turned to their Star Wars shelf, and the figure caught my eye. I also found a Biker Scout, but the card had rather large rips in it. I found it odd that the scout was more than the Vader, but I figured I shouldn't ask questions. I also got a mint ERG, which was $30. I picked them both up with no tax. Apparently they had bought some guy's collection, and that was in it, as well as the Hasbro Rocket Fett. It came in an Original Trilogy plastic case. I can assure you it is original. It was a nice little find. Almost better than the time I found an Uncle Gundy for $1. Speaking of eBay, I've never bought from it (too young to have PayPal).
    So..about this ROTJ Vader..

Was it this one: http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?i...erhelmet00.jpg (with the removable helmet - like in the ROTJ scene where Luke helps his dad take off the helmet)

or this one: http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?i...erew_cd_fr.jpg (with the helmet somewhat transparent - like in the ROTJ scene where the Emperor is using force lightning on Vader)

There are lots of ROTJ Vaders. Like 30-40 other ones. Maybe even more.

I think a lot of us are thinking of http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/Kenner/F-DarthVader/Kenner65BK.jpg&text=65%20Back%20Return%20Of%20The% 20Jedi%20Carded%20Figure%20with%20original%20image

or... http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/Kenner/F-DarthVader/Kenner65BKII.jpg&text=65%20Back%20New%20Image%20Re turn%20Of%20The%20Jedi%20Carded%20Figure
    Last edited by Trent; 12-04-2018 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Fixed links
    Member of the 62 POTF coin club!!
    My Trade Feedback has links to want and have trade lists.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterRizz View Post
    The ROTJ Vader story:
    On the plastic case, does it have a sticker on the bottom that says "Original Trilogy"?

I’m guessing the op bought a modern figure.

Hmmm silly sellers... Last year I ran into a gentlemen who was set-up at a local toy show for the first time since the mid-late 90's (according to him). He had dug out all of his stuff which included a nice assortment of MIB, MOC, loose figures, weapons, and some mailers. He boasted about knowing what he had, and on top of that, everything was moderately to egregiously overpriced. At this point, I thought my best bet was to dig through his box of loose/complete figures to see if I could fish out any variants that he might not be aware of... red bar R5, perhaps some no coo's... instead I found a Luke Jedi paired with an authentic black palace blaster and an B-Wing pilot paired with an authentic black endor blaster. Picked up the pair for $30.

@OP - Post a picture of the ROTJ Vader.
    Last edited by Mike_Z; 12-05-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast