Thread: mint on...blister?

mint on...blister?

so this is a topic im interested in talking about.
    what is it really worth when a figure is on a damaged or destroyed card?
    for example right now on ebay theres a bib fortuna sealed in a bubble thats had the card back cut off or destroyed.
    my question is , is that worth leaving sealed or would it be better off opened?
    its not on a card anymore per se, some one has taken the scissors and cut the back off and left poor bib trapped in a plastic prison.
    its kind of like how the still sealed gi joes from vehicles are sold.
    i dont have one its just a theoretical question.
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 12-02-2018 at 02:15 AM.
    (hums cloud city music) doo do doot do, do dooo do doot do, doo do do do

Personally, if I came across one I would pay (maybe) $15. I wouldn't be able to justify more than that.

the one i saw was on bid for nearly 30$ but that was why i was asking about the debate on opening it.

i wont ever open a mint on card figure. ill be clear now so everyone understands, but something like that i might unless its a super taboo thing to do so.

Cut cards are not exactly uncommon. While they're not on a perfect condition, it's still a form of sealed figure. There's only a finite number of them out there. Is the bubble cracked or yellowed? Jedi figures tend to yellow and become quite brittle. In a few years, it will probably break on it's own. I think it's similar to opening a baggie or a fully carded figure. It should only be done if whatever package it has is in complete distress, torn, cracked or otherwise compromised and it just can't be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    Cut cards are not exactly uncommon. While they're not on a perfect condition, it's still a form of sealed figure. There's only a finite number of them out there. Is the bubble cracked or yellowed? Jedi figures tend to yellow and become quite brittle. In a few years, it will probably break on it's own. I think it's similar to opening a baggie or a fully carded figure. It should only be done if whatever package it has is in complete distress, torn, cracked or otherwise compromised and it just can't be saved.
    well i dont have it but the example in question was rather yellow in plastic. ive pretty much decided to leave such things be most people seem uneasy about it and ican see why it is as you said still sealed on card (fro ma certain point of view)

there are cut card collectors out there some of the rare variants go for quite a bit. But a normal figure isn't worth that much more than a mint loose figure. I know that CAS has started a few different ways to grade things like cut cards to only score the figure part so people are less likely to open them.

I personally don't care for them and wouldn't buy one unless it was a DT saber or VCJ type thing... and even then only because it would be cheaper than a compete card...

yeah i dont either. if theres a market for them then ill leave them be i couldn't stand to look at it i couldn't display it in any capacity.
    im not my sister, i dont have boxes of crap just to have them in the way . and thats all i could do with cut card figures. throw it in a box and say
    "oh yeah i have one." id rather have a loose figure i could display or a moc figure i could hang up not one ins some weird netherworld limbo.
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 12-03-2018 at 07:12 AM.

I would say that for 99% of figures still sealed on a cut card the value isn't worth much more than the loose figure, unless it's something harder to come by. It takes a particular collector, but they are out there and people do collect them. For me, its either loose or on a display quality cardback. Doesn't have to be a mint cardback, just displayable (I can upgrade down the road if need be). When I see sealed blisters on a cut card, yes it is still sealed and never handled outside the factory, but in my head I'm looking at it as a loose figure trapped in what is now worthless plastic. The big draw for collectors to this type of collector is to be able to open it and have a dead mint, uncirculated, loose figure. However, ever since AFA stopped the U-Grade it will be interesting to see how this niche collecting goes in the future. Several people have taken their figures out of cut cards and sent them into grading companies only to have them come back with a grade lower than 90, which has ruffled some feathers and gets into the whole "how are these things actually being graded" conversation. In the end, a sealed cut card figure is only worth what your willing to pay I suppose.

Any toy, figure, vehicle — just because an item is sealed does not mean it is mint, and is a common misconception. I mean, it is rampant is our culture: mint on card, after all. I understand the thinking, but factory defects apply to an overall grade. Over spray, paint misapplications and molding issues all detract from a grade. You also have to consider most figures (and sometimes even accessories) are rattling around, and not secured in their bubble, which can lead to damage. There is also the common issue of cardback colors coming off on lighter colored figures. A sealed figure could very well grade a 70 or 75 (which is common with a strormtrooper, for example) if there are several of the mentioned defects.

A 90 is hard to realize and would have no damage what-so-ever, and nearly no manufacturer flaws, or vice versa. I have seen 95's, never a 100.

And, there are several figures where a cut card are at least double the value of a loose example. Even the lesser figures do command premiums. A Bib Fortuna cut card just went for $38. Nien Nunb sold not too long ago for something like $35. Both of these figures are $15 -20. And then there are special examples where a Princess Leia (SW) sold for something around $450 earlier this year. The market and pricing for cut cards has risen over the past few years. It certainly would be interesting to see if the removal of the U-grade brings down the prices at all. However, I am sure there are still those that open for for the sake of sending away for a (possible) high grade. There are also the cloudy details as to how AFA is handling things. Apparently, if you send them in something sealed, they still will open it for you and grade it, they just will not apply a U-grade.
    Last edited by comicalUser; 12-03-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    Any toy, figure, vehicle — just because an item is sealed does not mean it is mint, and is a common misconception. I mean, it is rampant is our culture: mint on card, after all. I understand the thinking, but factory defects apply to an overall grade. Over spray, paint misapplications and molding issues all detract from a grade. You also have to consider most figures (and sometimes even accessories) are rattling around, and not secured in their bubble, which can lead to damage. There is also the common issue of cardback colors coming off on lighter colored figures. A sealed figure could very well grade a 70 or 75 (which is common with a strormtrooper, for example) if there are several of the mentioned defects.

A 90 is hard to realize and would have no damage what-so-ever, and nearly no manufacturer flaws, or vice versa. I have seen 95's, never a 100.

And, there are several figures where a cut card are at least double the value of a loose example. Even the lesser figures do command premiums. A Bib Fortuna cut card just went for $38. Nien Nunb sold not too long ago for something like $35. Both of these figures are $15 -20. And then there are special examples where a Princess Leia (SW) sold for something around $450 earlier this year. The market and pricing for cut cards has risen over the past few years. It certainly would be interesting to see if the removal of the U-grade brings down the prices at all. However, I am sure there are still those that open for for the sake of sending away for a (possible) high grade. There are also the cloudy details as to how AFA is handling things. Apparently, if you send them in something sealed, they still will open it for you and grade it, they just will not apply a U-grade.
    the bib fortuna you speak of might well be the one that sparked this topic as the one i saw was roughly around the price of 28$ or so but i didnt watc to see the final price.