Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: power of the force/ last 17

i miss kaybee toys. there was a mall a few towns away i used to go to and i bought some rare x men figures there in the 90s that i couldnt find locally.
    (hums cloud city music) doo do doot do, do dooo do doot do, doo do do do

Quote Originally Posted by SW74 View Post
    Trilogo's were sold a Kaybee in the US
    Indeed. However, "released" is not the same as "sold." That was overstock that KayBee bought. Power of the Force in Australia I think was also buyout/overstock as well.
    Last edited by comicalUser; 12-13-2018 at 12:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Stormtrooper Luke is also $100 loose figure. That is nuts. The worst part is there is no Stormtrooper Han. I find it a bit funny that the Star Wars CCG made a stormtrooper Han, but not a Stormtrooper Luke. Almost to make up for the Kenner release.
    id like to ask whats up with his blaster? i see people selling st luke blasters for nearly 200$ doesnt he just have the same imperial blaster that half the others in the line have?
    or are last 17 enthusiasts so rabid they have to have only the blaster that came with it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesfire133336b View Post
    ...or are last 17 enthusiasts so rabid they have to have only the blaster that came with it?
    Yes.

Luke Stormtrooper was packed with a 'true black' imperial blaster. Figures with the same basic accessory prior to this had 'black-ish' or 'black-blue' blasters - ones that had a little less black plastic dye in the casting batches. You can see the difference via the 'flashlight test' - putting the accessory on the lense of a lit flashlight will show the earlier accessories have a grey or blue halo.

Additionally, there's some slight sculpting differences.
    Member of the 62 POTF coin club!!
    My Trade Feedback has links to want and have trade lists.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesfire133336b View Post
    id like to ask whats up with his blaster? i see people selling st luke blasters for nearly 200$ doesnt he just have the same imperial blaster that half the others in the line have?
    or are last 17 enthusiasts so rabid they have to have only the blaster that came with it?
    It is frustrating. I wish they hadn't done it. But they did. Not intentionally, I'm sure. That's a move toymakers would make today to make it rare.

But it's is frustrating at least for me because I have 95% of all the weapons I owned as a kid. And I've used the dang flashlight to no avail to find the all black blaster. I was so frustrated that a few years ago, I almost bought a Luke Stormy IN PACKAGE just to open it and examine the blaster. No way I could afford that now with today's prices.

Quote Originally Posted by buck16 View Post
    It is frustrating. I wish they hadn't done it. But they did. Not intentionally, I'm sure. That's a move toymakers would make today to make it rare.

But it's is frustrating at least for me because I have 95% of all the weapons I owned as a kid. And I've used the dang flashlight to no avail to find the all black blaster. I was so frustrated that a few years ago, I almost bought a Luke Stormy IN PACKAGE just to open it and examine the blaster. No way I could afford that now with today's prices.
    ok thanks trent and buck16 i thoguht there must be a special something about it. honestly if i ever somehow get a stormtrooper luke if he doesnt have his blaster hes getting a normal one
    from hammerhead or something i cant afford the insane prices on ebay for it
    i know what you mean trent even without a flashlight i can see that my death squad commander has a greyish black blaster. while i dont have it i know ig88 had a more blue ish verison as well
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 12-15-2018 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Stormtrooper Luke is also $100 loose figure. That is nuts. The worst part is there is no Stormtrooper Han. I find it a bit funny that the Star Wars CCG made a stormtrooper Han, but not a Stormtrooper Luke. Almost to make up for the Kenner release.
    Quote Originally Posted by comicalUser View Post
    $100 — 5 years ago! In nice condition it is rare to find him below $200. Yellowed ones may sell for a bit less. His helmet alone sells for $100 or more. The blaster is even crazier now. Nearly all of the Last 17 are $100+ figures now.
    The Luke Stormtrooper price seems to be between $150 and $300. A few on ebay have sold for less. Forget about trying to buy one still carded! This figure was sort of a grail of mine for a very long time. Long story short, as a kid I had one in my hands, put it back to ask my mom, and came back to find it had been taken by someone else. I searched ebay here and there for it every now and then, but a few years ago my wife got me one for Christmas. Sadly, he's turning pretty yellow and has a very faint hairline crack near one of his shoulders on the back. I look for better examples every now and then. It's usually a lost cause and I miss out on the deals. I suppose I could try the old peroxide bath, but I'm afraid it will only cause more issues with the crack.

On a side note, several years ago a friend of mine managed to get a very good deal on a "beater" Luke Stormtrroper, and put a Han head on the body. He used an original Han head, and drilled into the body. Cut the helmet off a beater stormtrooper. It looked pretty good overall, but I would have gone an easier route and just swapped the Luke head with a Bespin Han, and justified a Repro helmet for the custom. (The ONLY time I would have allowed a repro accessory)
    Last edited by DJ121; 12-15-2018 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    The Luke Stormtrooper price seems to be between $150 and $300. A few on ebay have sold for less. Forget about trying to buy one still carded! This figure was sort of a grail of mine for a very long time. Long story short, as a kid I had one in my hands, put it back to ask my mom, and came back to find it had been taken by someone else. I searched ebay here and there for it every now and then, but a few years ago my wife got me one for Christmas. Sadly, he's turning pretty yellow and has a very faint hairline crack near one of his shoulders on the back. I look for better examples every now and then. It's usually a lost cause and I miss out on the deals. I suppose I could try the old peroxide bath, but I'm afraid it will only cause more issues with the crack.

On a side note, several years ago a friend of mine managed to get a very good deal on a "beater" Luke Stormtrroper, and put a Han head on the body. He used an original Han head, and drilled into the body. Cut the helmet off a beater stormtrooper. It looked pretty good overall, but I would have gone an easier route and just swapped the Luke head with a Bespin Han, and justified a Repro helmet for the custom. (The ONLY time I would have allowed a repro accessory)
    Yeah, it's crazy. My storm on getting a majority of the last 17 is this:

Spring of 1986. My friend was getting ready to move to San Antonio from Houston at the end of the school year -- 8th grade for us. He got ME a going away present, which was pretty cool in itself. Shouldn't it have been me getting HIM one. Pretty nice guy. Anyway, the present was an EV-9D9. I open it and am scratching my head. I was a HUGE collector of Star Wars figs. Exclusivley. My friend, Marc, he was G.I. Joe exclusively. He says to me, "We were at Fiesta and saw this. Did you know there were new Star Wars figures?" !?!??!?! That's how I felt. I thanked him a ton. Then had my dad take me over the next few days to every Toys R Us and mall toy store (Circus World and/or Kay Bee) in the city. Oddly, we never hit a Fiesta. But over those couple days, I got:

1 Barada
    2 Imperial Dignitary
    3 A-Wing Pilot
    4 Imperial Gunner
    5 R2-D2 with Pop-up Lightsaber
    6 Amanaman
    7 Luke in Battle Poncho
    8 Lumat
    9 Romba
    10 EV-9D9
    11 and, of course, Luke Stormy.
    + The Battle Wagon
    + The Tatooine Skiff

So pretty darn good. One of each. But I think about -- especially because I can't bring myself to sell my originals -- all those figures I left on the shelf that I didn't realize would be worth some ridiculous amount of money one day.

Having said that, I got lucky my friend gave me that surprise. And I got lucky with a pretty damn good childhood!

PS. Many moons later, I had to buy Han Carb, Warok, Lando General, I think Paploo, and, of course, Yak Face.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234