Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lets talk about acessories....and the pain of trying to complete figures

Quote Originally Posted by DJ121 View Post
    Accessories sure can get expensive. My wife got me a Luke Stormtrooper figure as a Christmas gift a few years ago. Turns out it arrived with a repro helmet. I think even back then I paid around $30-$35.00 for it. Even standard weapons like the Rebel pistol and the Imperial blaster have increased to double digit prices. I wouldn't mix parts from the 1995 figures with vintage, either. "Authentic" only in the term that they were issued by Hasbro under the Kenner name.

As far as the Vader lightsaber, if you're set against repros like many of us here, you can always track another down from a reputable seller.
    Pilot Luke, no matter how beat up or worn from childhood, is always very easy to re-equip because the blaster is pretty common.
    what if i bought another figure like say a b wing pilot that has the same weapon? could i just swap one of those blasters for leia?
    (hums cloud city music) doo do doot do, do dooo do doot do, doo do do do

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesfire133336b View Post
    what if i bought another figure like say a b wing pilot that has the same weapon? could i just swap one of those blasters for leia?
    That same blaster was packed with the B-Wing pilot, as well as the AT-ST driver. So yes, any one of those three blasters would all be interchangeable. There are of course mold variants and some color variations, but it's all basically the same weapon. It was also packed with the Imperial Gunner, but that one is cast in 100% solid Black. That's the really expensive variant.

seems like i see b wing pilots failry common so maybe i can do that. the atst driver i misplaced had the blaster with him so its doubly infuriating because now i cant find any cheap atst drivers with blasters.
    i mis the good old days. in 1994 or there abouts i bought vintage figures for 6$ each from a store called johns toys. that was where i got my "2nd tier" childhood figures.
    by that i mean the ones that i had after the first 7 but in the days i was young enough to still play with them.
    among this lot was greedo, royal guard , emperor, boba fett ,bespin luke, endor han, tie fighter pilot jabba (that ended up just being the figure without a playset) jedi luke stormtrooper and some others.
    most were complete though some like jedi luke bespin luke boba and stormtrooper werent.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    Another thought is that you can sell your figure with no accessories and buy the same figure, but complete. Heck of a lot cheaper than just picking up accessories and may help offset the difference. I'm sure you do this already or you wouldn't be on this forum, but always keep your eyes on the local market wherever you are. Something good can come up. I check my local craigslists and FB daily because just as soon as it gets posted someone always jumps on it. Not too many things come up for sale in my rural area, but when they do I want to be the first to pounce, especially since I know I'm not the only collector in my area. Just this past spring I found a complete mint yoda, complete mint Bespin Luke, complete mint Boba, and a minty R2 for $60. I guess what I'm saying is that the deals are still out there and like any good hunter sometimes you just have to sit quietly, let the small game pass by, and leap on the big ones when they cross your path. Building an amazing collection can be done on the cheaper side, it just takes time rather than cash.
    oh and i do want to say that the exception to my rule is bespin luke
    even as a kid i was like "this figure is beat to hell!" his paint is just horribly worn and his joints are loose and floppy.
    im defintitly up for buying a whole new complete bespin luke.
    is there a value or prefernce between blonde and brown hair?
    i cant really tell but i think this one was brown haired from what the has left.
    also were all bespin lukes released with yellow sabers?

The absolutely, sure fire way to go broke, is trying to complete figures, or buying figures one at a time. That is what you would call the money pit or trap. Sellers intentionally break up vehicles and or figures because they know the parts and accessories are worth more than a completed figure or vehicle.

My collection was completed by buying lots or multiple figures at a time. Keeping parts I didn't have or swapping out for better pieces than the ones I had.

There are still plenty of lots available, large and small. I would watch a few, targeting pieces I was missing and let the chips fall where they may.

Remember, you can always sell or trade the extras. And if you do it right, you can almost finish your collection without spending much money.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

thats true toyman and i have been buying lots but its the whole extras thing thast throws me because when im done counting figures i end up only needing one or to per lot.
    my count is up to 41 now (i have bossk ,a new lobot, and hoth commander on the way) i guess you could say 42 if you count jabba and crumb as figures. i still have a long way to go and not sure ill ever have a complete set of vintage but ill grab as much as i can afford. the vehicles and last 17 w ill be what breaks me
    although i will say i dont mind extras with army builders. id happily get a 2nd gam guard for an ax. i have 2 black bespin guards 1 has a blaster it just happend by accident. we were bidding and kinda accidently won both
    update
    after a flubbed bid on a cheap endor leia belt (doh!) i forked over 30$ for a near complete endor leia only missing the blaster.
    i figure ill just strip the gear off of it and put it on my old leia then disarm a bwing pilot or something.
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 12-02-2018 at 08:09 PM.

oh and i do want to say that the exception to my rule is bespin luke
    even as a kid i was like "this figure is beat to hell!" his paint is just horribly worn and his joints are loose and floppy.
    im defintitly up for buying a whole new complete bespin luke.
    is there a value or prefernce between blonde and brown hair?
    i cant really tell but i think this one was brown haired from what the has left.
    also were all bespin lukes released with yellow sabers?
    Yellow haired luke is more common than brown hair luke, but that being said, you can still find a nice brown hair for a reasonable price if you keep on the hunt. I like the brown hair personally because it looks more movie accurate in my opinion. Brown hair Luke I wouldn't call "rare" just slightly more uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    Yellow haired luke is more common than brown hair luke, but that being said, you can still find a nice brown hair for a reasonable price if you keep on the hunt. I like the brown hair personally because it looks more movie accurate in my opinion. Brown hair Luke I wouldn't call "rare" just slightly more uncommon.
    i agree wampa. the brown haired version looks better i just wish they had done that with the farm luke as well.

thats true toyman and i have been buying lots but its the whole extras thing thast throws me because when im done counting figures i end up only needing one or to per lot.
    my count is up to 41 now (i have bossk ,a new lobot, and hoth commander on the way) i guess you could say 42 if you count jabba and crumb as figures. i still have a long way to go and not sure ill ever have a complete set of vintage but ill grab as much as i can afford. the vehicles and last 17 w ill be what breaks me
    although i will say i dont mind extras with army builders. id happily get a 2nd gam guard for an ax. i have 2 black bespin guards 1 has a blaster it just happend by accident. we were bidding and kinda accidently won both
    update
    after a flubbed bid on a cheap endor leia belt (doh!) i forked over 30$ for a near complete endor leia only missing the blaster.
    i figure ill just strip the gear off of it and put it on my old leia then disarm a bwing pilot or something.
    Lots are a tricky thing. A quick tip for everyone is don't use lot as a keyword. Everyone is buying those. The trick is, it's all in the key words when searching for lots. Try words like CASE or SET, PACK, GROUP or BUNDLE. The majority of won lots came from using the word CASE or VINYL CASE. Auctions like those fly under the radar are you stand a better chance winning them. Also, don't be afraid of buying beater ships or playsets for tiny treasures hidden on broken ships or playsets.

Next year I think I will start a new collection with a small start up allowance and turn it into a complete collection without spending any more out of pocket than my original start up funds. I will provide receipts and proof. I did it once, I can do it again. The key is patients and not buying items I want, but buying items I can turn into what I want.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    Lots are a tricky thing. A quick tip for everyone is don't use lot as a keyword. Everyone is buying those. The trick is, it's all in the key words when searching for lots. Try words like CASE or SET, PACK, GROUP or BUNDLE. The majority of won lots came from using the word CASE or VINYL CASE. Auctions like those fly under the radar are you stand a better chance winning them. Also, don't be afraid of buying beater ships or playsets for tiny treasures hidden on broken ships or playsets.

Next year I think I will start a new collection with a small start up allowance and turn it into a complete collection without spending any more out of pocket than my original start up funds. I will provide receipts and proof. I did it once, I can do it again. The key is patients and not buying items I want, but buying items I can turn into what I want.
    yeah lots are tricky. lots can also get you things you dont want like lobot. my lobot has a broken thumb and a mekanek action head (for some reason)
    i have a newer better one on the way now. ill try searching for sets groups and bundles. lot does seem like a common word.
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 12-05-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12