Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack of the Clones is a great Star Wars movie!

Last edited by Cobalt60; 11-25-2018 at 12:04 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

'Attack of the Clones' is a wretched film. It's badly directed, badly produced, badly acted, badly plotted, badly paced and introduces some really stupid ideas into the Star Wars universe. It was worse than 'The Phantom Menace' even and that was saying something. It's list of grievances is too long for one post.

I think there is a lot of prequel forgiveness going around these days, because the sequel trilogy has turned out to be so below par too.

Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    'It was worse than 'The Phantom Menace' even and that was saying something.
    LOOOL My poor poor poor beloved TPM...

George’s thematic and narrative intentions may have the potential to be “great” for The Prequel— but his execution fails on every level, particularly AOTC. Filmmaking is a visual medium — not for its (extremely) shortcomings in The Prequel’s case, to be made up from supplementary materials/novelization. And AOTC is the equivalent of someone dressed as a Furry, and speaking in an annoying Goofy-voice, with distracting unfunny slapstick choreography to stupid dubstep, while giving a first-draft presentation on a serious issue before The Supreme Court (of the United States): The intention may be noble, and the potential may be admirable, but the presentation is so inappropriate an juvenile that it doesn’t merit any serious attention.

I’ll always maintain that the Prequel was brimming with colossal potential that easily exceeded the OT’s. Just unfortunate the execution was such an unbelievably, juvenile, hot mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    my daughter is a fan of AOTC.

my daughter was 3 months old when it came out. I took her to the movie, she sat on my lap in the theater.
    she stared at the screen with wide-eyed wonder for about 20 minutes... and then fell asleep, to the soothing sounds of "Pew! Pew! Pew!"
    she grew up with this one. it's in her blood. she wore the costumes, she played with the toys. she absolutely adored this movie.

looking back as a teenager, she has now grown enough to admit, the movie is 90% cringeworthy.
    she laughs at the shockingly bad dialog, and cringes at the clunky love story (c/w cows and sand).
    it's almost like a cheesy, campy, tribute-to-SW. (like Spaceballs).

---> and who doesn't love Spaceballs? am-I-right? LOL (gotta love it)
    --> she STILL adores AOTC. it's in her blood. she understands it's a crappy movie,
    but she makes NO apologies for the fact that she loves it.

and that's what it's all about.

-====-

lets not pretend that AOTC is a piece of High Art, nor a "Great Movie" (by any stretch of the imagination)..

..let's just enjoy it for what it is. Adorable? yes. Lovable? yes. but... "Great"?

Ahh, but you fell in to the trap. I never said it was a “Great movie”. My title states that it’s “a great Star Wars movie”.
    I’m not going to pretend that the movie doesn’t have its faults, but I will say as a Star Wars movie it succeeds where other Star Wars films fail.
    I can still watch the prequels over and over again, because they’re fun to watch, and they add to the lore of Star Wars. And, if the movie is fun to watch, despite its flaws then it’s a success. Christopher Lee as Count Dooku, Ewan Mcgregor as Obi Wan. It’s like watching a movie that’s a period piece. I think a lot of people expect the dialogue to be like our modern society today. But, Lucas was trying to make it different. It’s set A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away. That was exactly the reason why I’m not a fan of the sequels. The characters don’t seem like they’re in The Star Wars universe anymore with their dialogue. It takes me right out of the fantasy universe George Lucas created. The Clone Wars and Rebels got it right.

If I’m going to rate the Star Wars films from best to worst. I’ll start with my favorite:
    1. Revenge of The Sith
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Star Wars
    4. Return of The Jedi
    5. Attack of The Clones
    6. The Phantom Menance
    7. Rouge One
    8. Solo
    9. The Force Awakens
    10. The Last Jedi

Whats intersting about Disney’s Star Wats films is some of them are really good films, but they’re not great Star Wars movies. Does that make sense? For example Rouge One is a great film, the best out of all of Disney’s Star Wars films in my opinion, but it fails as a Star Wars Film. The heroes die at the end. And, while that adds gravitas to the stakes, Lucas would have had the heroes make it out against all odds. Which would have made it fit more thematically with the fantasy universe he created.

Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    'Attack of the Clones' is a wretched film. It's badly directed, badly produced, badly acted, badly plotted, badly paced and introduces some really stupid ideas into the Star Wars universe. It was worse than 'The Phantom Menace' even and that was saying something. It's list of grievances is too long for one post.

I think there is a lot of prequel forgiveness going around these days, because the sequel trilogy has turned out to be so below par too.
    Wow! Such hate for AOTC. Again, I’ll give you that it has some faults. But, I think some of the hate it gets is because old school fans that grew up on the original trilogy look at them through Rose colored glasses. And, I’m an old school fan. When you look back at Return of The Jedi you can see some cheesiness also. The Ewoks, come on. I loved them as a kid too, but they’re no worse than Anakin’s story arc with Pademe in AOTC. Sure, that’s my opinion though. Why do so many people jump on the band wagon of hating a film because others say they should?

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    LOOOL My poor poor poor beloved TPM...
    Sorry Farmer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

George’s thematic and narrative intentions may have the potential to be “great” for The Prequel— but his execution fails on every level, particularly AOTC. Filmmaking is a visual medium — not for its (extremely) shortcomings in The Prequel’s case, to be made up from supplementary materials/novelization. And AOTC is the equivalent of someone dressed as a Furry, and speaking in an annoying Goofy-voice, with distracting unfunny slapstick choreography to stupid dubstep, while giving a first-draft presentation on a serious issue before The Supreme Court (of the United States): The intention may be noble, and the potential may be admirable, but the presentation is so inappropriate an juvenile that it doesn’t merit any serious attention.

I’ll always maintain that the Prequel was brimming with colossal potential that easily exceeded the OT’s. Just unfortunate the execution was such an unbelievably, juvenile, hot mess.
    Agreed. The potential for the prequels to be great was there. But it was completely squandered.

I wanted to like 'The Phantom Menace', I really did. I made excuse after excuse. It must have been me, not Star Wars surely? But, no. It was the film. Into the bargain, the film itself is completely unnecessary. There's just no point in kid Anakin, Qui-Gon (a character I actually liked), Mimsy Skywalker (or whatever her name was), or anything else that's in the film. In the end, I just had to be honest with myself and admit that it was a bad film, littered with bad choices.

The prequels, as a whole, could have (and arguable should have) just been about a mid 20's Anakin falling to the darkside and ignoring all of 40 something Obi-Wan's sage advice, taking place during the Clone Wars and eliminate all of the bollocks.

No yippie kid, no stupid pod race, no immaculate conception, no midichlorians, no roger/roger droids, no Gungans, no Geonosians, no Jingo Jango Fett, no Bobby Fett, no dying of a broken heart, no 1950's diners, no General Grievous bodily harm, no Count Dookula, no crazy frog Yoda, no Darth Vader building C3PO, no R2D2, etc. The list is endless of just how shit those films were.

The latter half of 'Revenge of the Sith' was ok, once you get past Christiansen's piss poor acting and the video game level final fight and Darth Vader's "no" and Palpatine's "no, no, no...."

Actually, no. Forget that. It was all shite.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeStarkiller View Post
    Wow! Such hate for AOTC. Again, I’ll give you that it has some faults. But, I think some of the hate it gets is because old school fans that grew up on the original trilogy look at them through Rose colored glasses. And, I’m an old school fan. When you look back at Return of The Jedi you can see some cheesiness also. The Ewoks, come on. I loved them as a kid too, but they’re no worse than Anakin’s story arc with Pademe in AOTC. Sure, that’s my opinion though. Why do so many people jump on the band wagon of hating a film because others say they should?
    Who's to say that they do? Perhaps they just don't like it because it's a bad film. Both a bad Star Wars film and a bad film over all and I don't think it has anything to do with being and old school or new school fan. The problem are the film's themselves, not which school one belongs to.

However, if you like it, go for it.

Attack of the Clones really works when Obi-wan plays detective. I have always wanted to see the Jedi portrayed as the Guardians of the Galaxy that Obi-wan tells Luke in A New Hope. Ewan is great in the role and I really like the confrontation with Jango. Even the final battle is cool. I am fine with Yoda's fighting style, him standing there and going toe to toe with guys three times his size is silly. It would be stupid not to have him use his size and agility to his advantage. Its the zero chemistry between Padme and Anakin that doesn't work. Its even weirder when there is a deleted scene showing Padme's family. It seems Anakin's virgin birth was done not to deal with the Skywalker lineage then Lucas has like an entire family for Padme we never see again. I honestly believe Lucas had the sketch for Episode II in his mind and the special effects team let him down as well as someone not telling him to add some spark to Anakin/Padme. Lucas did a way better job in Episode III of moving the parts towards the end. It also helped that Spielberg seem to be guiding him turning Anakin and in the final lightsaber duels. Both smart moves.

AOTC is a good movie. Although my least favourite of the prequels, it is still lightyears better than either ST movie.
    The only thing "wrong" with AOTC is the love story between Anakin and Padme. The dialogue is cheesy and clunky.
    But if you're looking for a good love story, perhaps you should look somewhere other than a Star Wars film.

Quote Originally Posted by BoneFett View Post
    AOTC is a good movie. Although my least favourite of the prequels, it is still lightyears better than either ST movie.
    The only thing "wrong" with AOTC is the love story between Anakin and Padme. The dialogue is cheesy and clunky.
    But if you're looking for a good love story, perhaps you should look somewhere other than a Star Wars film.
    I agree, the only thing holding AOTC back is the love story. And, it bothered me a little at first. Except I remembered that it should be taken more for what it was intended. Anakin is this awkward kid with exceptional skill that was never meant to have a relationship with a woman due to the Jedi code. And, Padame was former royalty and now a senator. So she’s never really had any relationships other than with her people. So it’s supposed to be awkward. I think where those scenes fail is I think Natalie Portman didn’t have much chemistry with Hayden. I saw the same problems in Thor Dark World with Chris Hemsworth. I think Hayden actually showed some good chemistry on his end, but it was kind of ruined from Portman’s end which was a shame.

However, I think the whole love story is such a small part of the film, it doesn’t detract that much for me over the whole arc of the film. I’ve come to terms with its limitations.

But, I get it. I’m probably not going to convince a lot of people to like the film if they don’t already. I was just hoping to get more conversation about what Lucas got right with the film, than discussing it’s faults.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast