Thread: What are some good biographies/autobiographies to read?

What are some good biographies/autobiographies to read?

Over the last couple of years I've given more attention to biographies/autobiographies in my reading. So naturally I'd like to see what good ones are out there that you guys have read.
    While I'm more apt to reading about musicians and actors, I'm game for other kinds of people.

Off the top of my head, so far I've read:

-Duff Mckagen It's So Easy
    -Groucho by Stefan Kanfer
    -The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    -A couple on Hunter S. Thompson
    -A couple on Charles Bukowski
    -Full of Life about writer John Fante

On my shelves waiting to be read are:

-Scott Weiland
    -Marilyn Manson
    -Anthony Kiedis
    -The new Beastie Boys book

I'm looking for GOOD ones to read. I'd like to weed out the inevitable cheap, usually uninformed/unauthorized ones as they tend to not know any real details about their subject.

Thanks!
    MOC? We don't need no steenkin' cards!
    My Feedback

Gloria Swanson's autobiography is one of the most fascinating books I've ever read. It's a huge doorstop of a book but I tore through it in a couple days.

The one about Akira Kurosawa and Toshiro Mifune (I forget the name, The Tiger and...something, or something like that) is really good.

I've read a couple on Hitchcock but can't remember which one was really good.

Anything by David McCullough is amazing.

From a historical perspective, Frederick Douglass's autobiography is one of the best I've ever read.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Wow, I hadn't even thought about a Kurosawa biography. THAT will be great to read.
    And the Fredrick D. one I've been eyeballing for a long time. Guess I'll bump that up on my "want to read" list.
    MOC? We don't need no steenkin' cards!
    My Feedback

John D. Rockefeller: The autobiograpy of an oil titan and Philanthopist
    Andrew Carnegie
    Same Walton: Made in America (Hate Wal-Mart or love it.. I Love this one)

I enjoy playing Poker. Big Texas Hold'em fan. While technically all may not be autobiographies (been a while since I read some), all true stories, and out a hundred books on poker here's a few of the ones I enjoyed:

Molly's Game- Book that last years movie was based on. Basically a true story on how an Olympic hopeful became the "Poker Princess" and ran the biggest underground poker games in the country. Mentions some famous names in the book that the movie didn't allow for.

Mike Matasau- Check Raising the Devil. A good behind the scenes look at the shady side of poker, and some behind the scenes goings on in the WSOP.
    Poker Brat: Phil Helmuth- autobiograpy
    Positively Fifth Street: Murderers, Cheetahs, and Binion's World Series of Poker-kind of the true story of James McManus who was sent to Las Vegas by Harper's to cover the World Series of Poker in 2000 and the murder of Ted Binion.. instead spends his stipend and ends up finishing at the final table of the world series. True story, I believe this is an autobiography, been a while. Great book. After reading I went on Youtbe and watched the final table.. very interesting after you read the book.
    Last edited by bobafett14; 11-25-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker