Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: does it feel like the original trilogy is getting smaller?

I think Disney killing the EU was a good thing. There was too much going on and some decisions were pretty stupid like killing Mara and Chewie. Hell, I don't think Thrawn should have died at least not that way. I know that pissed fans off, but it had to be done. You can't expect fans to read over a hundred books most of them just ok just to get what was going on in Episode 7. Yet, Disney has brought back Thrawn and Ashoka even though they really didn't need to. They are reaching out to those fans even if they watered down Thrawn, so he wouldn't find a way to kill all of the Rebels by the end of the season. Ashoka still being alive is just stupid. It was stupid to give Anakin a padwan, not make him Master especially when Ashoka was really good at the Jedi gig. Ashoka should have died in season four and we got a more darker Anakin like in the anime version which is the best Clone Wars. I don't blame Disney for decisions when it comes to the EU, I do blame them for hiring and firing creators when it doesn't fit Kathleen Kennedy's vision. A vision, I am not sure what she even knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzzler View Post
    Well for me there is only one canon. And I'm not arguing a better/worse canon situation. I'm saying I chose not to follow new canon, so consequently I don't have any conflict going on.

I haven't seen the movies or read the comics/novels. I'm not involved in the cultural SW scene but that doesn't bother me. I started re-reading the EU back in 2012 and I'm up to Balance Point in the Vong series. It has been very enjoyable and brought a greater level of enjoyment to read it in order. Reading chronologically out of order tends to have details and smaller plot lines slip from memory. In order and uninterrupted by months/years in publication gaps lends a greater cohesion to plot lines.

Maybe you should consider abandoning new canon if it isn't fulfilling, and switch to fleshing out the EU canon that was before. That might not be as easy for you because I think there are parts you've expressed that you really didn't like. Where as for me I can't say I hated any of it. There are stories that weren't my preferred style, and stories (more often in comics) that were choppy or substandard to me. Actually I really don't like the Force Unleashed with Vader's apprentice. That felt like a side scrolling video game put into words. Nor did I enjoy the horror genre stories, specifically Maul Lockdown. But other than that I am enjoying the old stuff just as much if not more than before. I don't have the frustration that everybody who dislikes elements of the ST movies and/or comics/novels is dealing with.

Maybe that is something for you to dwell on. You gave it an honest chance but it is coming up short for you. 'Your' SW seems to be suffering along the way. 'My' SW is doing nicely. It is finite, but voluminous enough that I initially estimated about 8 years to read it all at the pace that I read, and that certainly seems to be in the ballpark for accuracy. It's kind of hard to think I'll get bored reading the same old same old if it will take me 8 years of daily reading to get through it all once. I haven't once reacted like, "Ugh... not THIS story to slog through..."
    i just sat here and typed up a long well thought out response only to get DATABASE ERROR.
    ill try to recollect my scattered thoughts once more...
    i basicly agree with you though i seem like i cant quite express myself in words clearly. to me there is no disney (technicly) what they call canon i call non canon. im old eu all the way and that isnt a slight toward anyone that likes the new disney stuff. i only read the 3 disney books because my sister bought them for me on clearance for 2$ each just like how a few figures she bought me i probably wouldnt have bothered with.
    i only follow the movies so far as new canon goes.
    i liked the force unleashed but it was a little weird because it made it seem like darth vader was a creator and founding father of the rebellion(whether on purpose or not)
    and other titles in the same overall period made it seem like he w as always plotting against palpatine since mustafar. as for books i have a long way to go once i hit crucible where the time line ends
    then ill have the clone wars books to loop back around to so im probably set for the rest of my life.
    (hums cloud city music) doo do doot do, do dooo do doot do, doo do do do

Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    I think Disney killing the EU was a good thing. There was too much going on and some decisions were pretty stupid like killing Mara and Chewie. Hell, I don't think Thrawn should have died at least not that way. I know that pissed fans off, but it had to be done. You can't expect fans to read over a hundred books most of them just ok just to get what was going on in Episode 7. Yet, Disney has brought back Thrawn and Ashoka even though they really didn't need to. They are reaching out to those fans even if they watered down Thrawn, so he wouldn't find a way to kill all of the Rebels by the end of the season. Ashoka still being alive is just stupid. It was stupid to give Anakin a padwan, not make him Master especially when Ashoka was really good at the Jedi gig. Ashoka should have died in season four and we got a more darker Anakin like in the anime version which is the best Clone Wars. I don't blame Disney for decisions when it comes to the EU, I do blame them for hiring and firing creators when it doesn't fit Kathleen Kennedy's vision. A vision, I am not sure what she even knows.
    yeah i hate that. ive never watched rebels or much of clones wars but mara jade is my favorite character and i hated that they killed chewie too. people keep teasing mara jade for the ne w movies abu tat this pint i dont even want her to show up. they will just mess her up worse if she does or cast somebody i hate in the role where i cant enjoy it. no just let poor mara rest.

I don’t consider the Sequels cannon. So the only Disney movies I’m accepting are Solo and Rouge One which add more to the original trilogy.

works for me rogue one is way up there in my sw favorite movies. i jate trying to rate them though because i hate leaving any movie at the bottom.

Honestly, does it feel like the OT is getting smaller? I'd say, unfortunately, yes. The marketing seems to almost entirely be based upon contemporary SW. The push for classic based merch seems to never have been as small as it is now. You take a look at the Vintage Collection on the pegs now, about 5% of that action figure line is made up of OT characters. It used to be that when a new film was released, say prequel era, that years merch and marketing was prominently pushing that years film release itself, makes sense, but on the off years with no new film release it went back to being dominated more so by OT again. Well here's the problem...there hasn't been an off year for four years. Now it appears there will eventually be again as Disney even stated they were over-saturating...but I continually see jabs now thrown at the OT in articles. How it's dated, it's cheesy, it's sexist, kids don't even watch them anymore, on and on and on...and that's honestly heartbreaking to me because the bread and butter of this franchise is the OT. Just no two ways about it. You even have the concept, now, of SW films that don't have ANY OT characters in them. That's becoming a sooner than later possibility. The Prequels still had Obi Wan, Anakin, Palpatine, Yoda, etc. The spin-off films have OT characters. Sure not in their iconic OT looks, but the same characters nonetheless. The sequels have OT characters, but now the trend is to kill them off. Plus the ones that likely won't be killed, roles like C-3PO, R2, and Chewbacca are resorted to glorified cameos and not really roles in the plot at all anymore. Instead of pushing Ackbar, they push Holdo...when Ackbar actually makes sense and is already established. Instead...they kill him. They push BB-8 over R2. They have Rey showing Han freaking Solo how to fix the Falcon - HIS ship! Now this isn't to say I'm opposed to new characters, far from, but I can't help but notice the distancing and re-branding of the new away from the classic. Almost to the point of stepping on the OT and saying, "Move over, old-timer, you're in need of an oil change," and it's just insulting.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 12-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

i agree it s full of sh** and thats why i dont like disneys crap ahem i mean "movies" since im an obvious woman hating masochist and all :p

I still unabashedly love TFA and liked Solo, but R1 and TLJ are low points in the series I haven't seen since the prequels. R1 at least feels like Star Wars to me, it just doesn't have any characters worth a damn.
    Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

i agree like the characters but they could have been better. and if people like him thats fine but i really didnt like cassian andor's attitude. by the time he was remotely likable he was dead

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234