Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cassian Andor TV series - 2021

Agreed. Cassian is a bright spot in a dark Disney world with a backstory I want to learn about.

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    I meant in a general sense. You don't seem to like any of the figures...the movies...the shows...
    Well in my defense, 95% of the figures are repacks of ones that I already own. For the record, I do like all of the Movies except TFA and TLJ.
    And when they come out with a new show that i like, I'll like it too.

I'll admit that I can be very critical of certain things, it's my cross to bear. But it doesn't mean I hate every movie.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

It'll be a tricky one this. Will the TV series be his journey from idealistic Rebel to amoral jerk because that's what he started Rogue One as?

Quote Originally Posted by CellBlock1138 View Post
    Not sure how Diego Luna was a weak link at all. Cassian Andor was one of the most refreshing new characters in Star Wars in a long time. I like the fact that he's just a field operative for the Rebellion. A guy doing his job, like the thousands (millions?) of others in a paramilitary organisation. He also has a genuine character arc (if I can use that dumb term), in that he goes from a cold, trained, assassin to understanding the bigger picture, in terms of Jyn and Galen Erso and the necessity to eliminate an arbitrarily destructive weapon such as the Death Star. His death on the beach with Jyn was excellently handled as well. There's no lovey dovey shite, it's just two people that have a real understanding, he offers a moment of comfort and nothing else needs to be elaborated on. A subtlety that is sorely missing from a lot of movies, especially where leading men and women are concerned. It's an immensely well handled scene, from the set piece, the acting, the music. It's one of the finest scenes in any Star Wars film. In fact, the Darth Vader kick *** scene that follows it (as much as I like it) kind of acts as an anti-climax in comparison.

As for Gareth being a director, or even showrunner, I'd be well up for that. He is the ONLY one that has got Star Wars, out of the current crop, and I include the likes of Filoni in that as well. His direction of 'Rogue One', Kennedy sanctioned reshoots aside, was superb. He really does understand Imperial period Star Wars. So, he'd be a perfect fit to oversee a Cassian Andor TV series and the period it's set in.
    I like Diego/Cassian. Just that he’s way too mousey-looking for a leading man: He’s not necessarily a bad choice— just not physically fully convincing in his role. He has very little presence when compared with the rest of the RO gang/cast. I get that he’s meant as the straighman of the gang, and the cold attitude is understandable, given his life and work— but his interaction with the rest of the gang is pure suspicion/disdain (he’s even distant to K2), until deep into the 2nd act, is a noticeable drag to the story. At least grace Cassian with some charm, wit, magnetism. With such a strong ensemble cast, where even the extras have solid presence: the guy that’s in the prison transport with Jyn; the 70s-mustache X-Wing pilot; the hooded woman that’s an Alliance Leader at the conference; Lyra etc, Diego/Cassian lacks leading man presence. (I recently watched King Arthur with Clive Owens, and there may be a handful of things weak with the film, but the entire main cast is so solid-- even Keira.)

(I can understand when detractors find RO gloomy with inaccessible characters: Jyn is already a reclusive, introverted and heavily damaged, mousey sort when she’s introduced. To pair her with an even more distant, and even more mousey man can be a tad too much.)

Quote Originally Posted by Internets View Post
    It'll be a tricky one this. Will the TV series be his journey from idealistic Rebel to amoral jerk because that's what he started Rogue One as?
    Well we know it'll end with his death :p Would be great to see Jyn again or have the RO end battle play out from different angles.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I like Diego/Cassian. Just that he’s way too mousey-looking for a leading man: He’s not necessarily a bad choice— just not physically fully convincing in his role. He has very little presence when compared with the rest of the RO gang/cast. I get that he’s meant as the straighman of the gang, and the cold attitude is understandable, given his life and work— but his interaction with the rest of the gang is pure suspicion/disdain (he’s even distant to K2), until deep into the 2nd act, is a noticeable drag to the story. At least grace Cassian with some charm, wit, magnetism.

Ummm, I see what you mean. But, I disagree. I think too many writers confuse smartarse remarks as "character". Having their people always on point with the next "witty" line is not character. It's just some line the writer has spent time dreaming up. After a while it doesn't even pass as charming, just annoying. As for Cassian's physique, he's an intelligence officer. He doesn't need to be Arnie. In fact, the fact that he's just a regular Joe makes him more realistic to me.

With such a strong ensemble cast, where even the extras have solid presence: the guy that’s in the prison transport with Jyn; the 70s-mustache X-Wing pilot; the hooded woman that’s an Alliance Leader at the conference; Lyra etc, Diego/Cassian lacks leading man presence. (I recently watched King Arthur with Clive Owens, and there may be a handful of things weak with the film, but the entire main cast is so solid-- even Keira.)

(I can understand when detractors find RO gloomy with inaccessible characters: Jyn is already a reclusive, introverted and heavily damaged, mousey sort when she’s introduced. To pair her with an even more distant, and even more mousey man can be a tad too much.)
    God, I hate Clive Owen LOL. I find him as dull as dishwater. Oh well... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But, yeah, people who want to detract from 'Rogue One' by calling the characters boring are just not getting those characters as far as I'm concerned and I think that's a result of the "smartarse" writing that saturates movies these days. That, if people aren't being "funny", then they're somehow "bad" characters. It just doesn't compute with me.

To me the 'Rogue One' characters fit the piece perfectly. They're damaged people, involved in a war. A war that's taken everything from them. To have them go around pointing fingers at the camera and flippantly rolling quips like fuck all of consequence was happening would have been awful. Star Wars isn't 'Guardians of the Galaxy'.

As for being "mousey", I don't see either Jyn or Cassian as such. These are people that have survived extraordinary circumstances, as evidenced in the film. They've been pretty much forced to be lone wolves, by events the war has thrust upon them and they've survived in any way they can. In the case of Cassian, it's objective at any cost and with Jyn it's apathy, withdrawal and not "looking up". They both come to a redemption of sorts by the end of the film and realise that there's a bigger picture. There's a lot more going on with the characters of 'Rogue One' than in anything that Disney has put out, Star Wars wise. In fact, I'd say the cast of 'Rogue One' are some of the best Star Wars characters.

Contrast them to the likes of Rey, a bouncy, preppy jolly hocky sticks, wish fulfilment, that never once feels like a real person. Or Finn, an Uncle Tomfoolery trope who's story ended as soon as he left Jakku for the first time and decided to defect. Or Poe, a one man army cliche.

I'll take the 'Rogue One' characters over them any day of the week.

^^^ By no means would I want Diego/Cassian to look like Arnold with his one-liners, nor act like Chris/Star Lord… Oh God no LOL No need to turn these characters into flat caricatures— this Sequel has already taken care of that, as we've clearly seen.

Many times, an actor’s physical appearance may be easily overlooked because their performance is that solid: Al Pacino in his early years come to mind. He’s this unassuming, plain Jane-looking everyday bloke, and he’s tiny in physical stature— and they never try to hide that (unlike with Tom Cruise). But his characters and his performance is full of this sort of intensity, bravado and boundless magnetism. That’s what’s missing with Diego/Cassian. In my life, I'm around individuals that may not look conventionally "attractive/beautiful", but once I get to know them, their intelligence, their personality, their style, and most importantly, their talent, hugely compensates for their other (physical) shortcomings, and they become that much more attractive/admirable/beautiful. That's what's missing with Diego/Cassian.

Just my observations and preference, of course. RO is so solid, and if I had my way and Cassian had some fire his presence then RO would be that much stronger. As to how my criticism of Diego/Cassian relates to this series: I really do hope that he is only the connection to showcase other characters. Cassian as a character, has already been established as a fighter since he was 6yo, so I can’t imagine a (dreaded) happy-go-lucky Cassian in this, and how he eventually turns into the ice-cold solider in RO. He seems to have been a Debbie Downer since he was little LOL
    Last edited by farmer; 11-13-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Great news! I'm very excited about a cassian-focused pre-rogue one time period spy series!

i loved rogue one. and i thought Cassian was an ok character. but a series focusing on him..? that sounds really boring imo. he would make a great recurring/background character in a series starring a cast of characters more exciting than the ones in rogue one.

i'm really starting to wonder if disney will ever get it right.
    EU= fanfic

I saw him on James Corden the other day and I was impressed with the way he spoke -- not just the accent but the soft spoken intelligence behind it -- I came away with some new respect for the guy. I think the actor can hold his own. I have confidence in his ability to carry the show.

so really, it's going to be all just down to the writing -- specifically: the character.

I think Cassian's character has lots of room for further development; unlike Lando's example (in the other thread), he doesn't have a 40 year history of characterization in the eyes of the fans, so they could actually make him LGBT and nobody would throw a fit over it.
    (meaning: they can pretty much do whatever they want. the possibilities for developing this character are a lot more 'open' than someone like Han or Lando, for examples -- in order to be successful, a TV show about Han (or Lando) would need more limitations placed on it, when it comes to developing the central character -- Kasadan ignored this '40 year history of characterization' and his movie lost money at the box office).

re: "what were they thinking"?
    I think they planned this pretty well. it was a good choice of character upon which to base a TV show. and I think the actor has the 'skillz' to pull it off. I am cautiously optimistic.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 11-19-2018 at 02:31 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast