Thread: AFA Bubble Protectors - What are they, What do they do, are they Worth It?

AFA Bubble Protectors - What are they, What do they do, are they Worth It?

So, I have been trying to find information about AFA bubble protectors that go inside graded MOC figures. I'm having a hard time figuring out what exactly they do, what they are intended to prevent, and if they work. Does anyone have any information or experience with this? I don't see a lot of figures with this add on, so clearly it isn't something that has caught on. I have found some stories about how they can fail and cause damage, but I can't figure out if that is legit or trolling. Any information would be appreciated.

Hey bad maotivator,they are designed to keep
    the bubble attached during shipping I don't see them doing much else. I know cas has put a strip across bottoms to keep card from warping. That to me would be a better option,I'm sure afa could do this as well. Maybe btd2 can post a pic of his cas case with card protector???

I've used it once because I had a card that was rare, only one ever AFA'ed. The bubble was cracked and I don't want it loosely banging around since it's a Die-cast ship. I think they did a great job thou a bit pricey. To me it was worth it, I don't think I would do a figure thou.
    He's no good to me open!

Quote Originally Posted by jedikman View Post
    Hey bad maotivator,they are designed to keep
    the bubble attached during shipping I don't see them doing much else. I know cas has put a strip across bottoms to keep card from warping. That to me would be a better option,I'm sure afa could do this as well. Maybe btd2 can post a pic of his cas case with card protector???
    Okay, I think I understand. I have seem some photos, but I can't discern what good it's doing. But I guess if it was tight to the bubble, it would it theory help prevent the bubble from coming off. Is there any support from the bottom, to help keep the weight of the figure from accelerating the bubble coming off?

I think you can work with them on the placement of the supports.
    He's no good to me open!

safest is always not to grade and padd. I got things in protectors that have graded 85 on bubble but cracked in shipping. They keep the seal in place though, but dont stop cracks.
    WTB: Foreign MOCs - Meccano, Harbert, PBP/Poch, Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Top Toys
    My feedback: http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1102899/