Thread: Dianoga Reproductons

Dianoga Reproductons

I'm going to start this conversation by stating that this is nothing more than conspiracy theory, but what are the chances that some or many of the Dianoga creatures being sold as original are nothing more than repros? Dianoga's seem to all over the place these days and more readily available than I remember them being in the past or is that just me? Out of many figures, creatures, parts, etc, Dianoga would be one of the easiest pieces to cast since it has no articulating parts and is cast in solid green. If I'm not mistaken, their are variations of original Dianogas cast in lighter and darker shades of green depending on when/where they were made, which would make spotting a repro even more difficult. Not to mention there's no COO mark. Check out this ebay listing:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/STAR-WARS-re...-/173176478890

Its painted green, not cast in green plastic. The casting looks like poor quality and the seams where the two molds meet are not quite like an original, but is it possible that someone could or already has made a mold that fits the original seam lines? Again, this is complete conspiracy theory, but I thought it may be worth discussing if nothing else, to get out ahead of what could happen in the future.

Nothing is sacred anymore. If it can be remade, it will. I am so, so glad I am very close to the end. The crappie thing is, the culprits aren't even trying to hide it anymore. Reproductions are now being flaunted in high regard by the makers. They brag with pics floating in water. The sad part is , we as collectors end up with them when someone needs money, and posts them as original.

I have owned 2 of these, and they are actually on the fragile side due to age and rubbery break downs. Luckily these will be hard to pass off as real. But then again, to the unsuspecting buyer, an expensive boo boo.

Can't really come down on them because they aren't listed as original on the other hand. Repro clearly marked in title. The hard truth is, in the not so distant future, there will be plenty of limelights with repros. Not saying from us or here on RS, but Facebook and other sites like that.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    Nothing is sacred anymore. If it can be remade, it will. I am so, so glad I am very close to the end. The crappie thing is, the culprits aren't even trying to hide it anymore. Reproductions are now being flaunted in high regard by the makers. They brag with pics floating in water. The sad part is , we as collectors end up with them when someone needs money, and posts them as original.

I have owned 2 of these, and they are actually on the fragile side due to age and rubbery break downs. Luckily these will be hard to pass off as real. But then again, to the unsuspecting buyer, an expensive boo boo.

Can't really come down on them because they aren't listed as original on the other hand. Repro clearly marked in title. The hard truth is, in the not so distant future, there will be plenty of limelights with repros. Not saying from us or here on RS, but Facebook and other sites like that.
    ...what do you mean by limelights?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronthebanker View Post
    ...what do you mean by limelights?
    collections.

I am a member of 4 builders sites for movie props. All 4 have members that have toy collections, and all 4 proudly show off the collections and admit there are repro card backs or repro weapons.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/