Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracked Bubble - Should I or Shouldn't I

It really depends on how much the crack is going to bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The_Principal View Post
    It really depends on how much the crack is going to bother you.

Yeah, It's not some much about how much it bothers me now; right now it's so small you can hardly notice it unless you are really looking. My worry was if it got worse or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoth_My_Fav View Post
    Clearly, what matters most is you do what makes you happy and fits your collecting goal.

I sure have bought cracked AFA graded figures, in fact one recent piece I bought was a cracked ROTJ 2 pack, the bubble is cracked at the bottom but it has been already graded as such, I felt comfortable because its already been cracked and the grade represents that, so there can be no doubt in a collectors mind what is the condition of the piece.

Besides a 60 grade, the cracked piece can be fitted with a holder around the bubble by AFA.

Now, if you decide to put tape on it, do so, its your piece and you are trying to make an effort to keep the bubble from getting worse. SAdly, these bubbles, once they crack, they tend to get worse and it might impact the value or money that you put into the figures.
    I actually reached out to AFA to see what the bubble protectors are, and what they do. It is for keeping the bubble on the card, but as far as preventing cracks or keeping cracks from getting worse, it does not good. I don't think I'm going to opt for that. Someone needs to invent a MOC protector that is made of the same non toxic plastic as Star Cases that is manufactured using a 3d printer that scans the MOC you want protected and creates a perfect over the top, crystal clear protector that hugs every curve corner and crevices of the bubble and card. then, even if a bubble cracked, it would also maintain it's shape. Somebody work on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadMotivator View Post
    Yeah, It's not some much about how much it bothers me now; right now it's so small you can hardly notice it unless you are really looking. My worry was if it got worse or something like that.
    I think transporting the piece or a lot of temperature swings has the greatest chance of making the crack worse. If it gets to you in the same shape as you bought it in and you display it, not moving it, my guess is that it would be relatively stable.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BadMotivator View Post
    I actually reached out to AFA to see what the bubble protectors are, and what they do. It is for keeping the bubble on the card, but as far as preventing cracks or keeping cracks from getting worse, it does not good. I don't think I'm going to opt for that. Someone needs to invent a MOC protector that is made of the same non toxic plastic as Star Cases that is manufactured using a 3d printer that scans the MOC you want protected and creates a perfect over the top, crystal clear protector that hugs every curve corner and crevices of the bubble and card. then, even if a bubble cracked, it would also maintain it's shape. Somebody work on that.
    that is a great idea, i do believe somewhere on this forum, someone showed a step by step process to make your own type of protector that keeps everything together but now i forget what it was called,,, :/

Don't forget that it's a pressure release crack just like a fault line, eventually there is going to be more stress release and you know that The big one is coming.
    He's no good to me open!

Okay, so I like I said I did buy the figure; I picked it up on Saturday. So....... It's not a crack! I can see how someone would think that it was, but it isn't. It's a raised piece of extra plastic that got a little too hot when the bubble was put on. I busted out my 10x watch makers magnifier and took a real close look. There is no crack, just a ridge of extra plastic. I have several figures like this. I think I'm good! And got a great deal! Thanks for everyone's input! It was helpful!

Glad to hear that it all worked out well. Congrats!

I had a ROTJ figure with a crack from when I first started. It was kept in a drawer in a climate controlled area and I looked one day and the bubble had just disintegrated. After that I no longer keep ones with cracked bubbles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12