Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Celebration Chicago: Costumes

Celebration Chicago: Costumes

Get pointers on costuming, share your progress, ask questions or help others right here.
    Convention Autographs & Internet Sales - Official Pix by C2 Ventures
    Administrator - The Registry
    Co-Founder - Star Wars Grand Florida Alliance
    President - Tampa Star Wars Club

With non-connecting hotels being far away, I probably won't be taking my armor. That being said, working on something new.
    TK/TB/CC/ST-5400 - Feedback
    Facebook Page: Deathstar's Random - YouTube Channel: Deathstar's Random
    Join the Anime thread!

I'm not bringing my Jedi this time. I'll only be there for a couple of days so I may not wear a costume at all. I'm working on an imperial officer so that is a possibility but we will see.
    www.heroministries.org

"To me, She's royalty!"

I'll be in Porkins, Imperial Officer, MIB, #RogueMouse and some other surprises...
    "The Sith don't own my soul... They just lease it from time to time with an option to buy."

The hotel situation being what it is, it's going to be difficult to cosplay at all. I'm not sure I want to be in full cosplay riding the city trains in Chicago. Ugh. I really wish they thought about these things when ReepPop decides to put on a SW convention. A small handful of hotels connected to the convention center does not cut it for conventions like Celebration. I go back and forth numerous times during the convention to either my car or the hotel and this makes it impossible. I hope this is the last time this convention is in Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessOrgana View Post
    The hotel situation being what it is, it's going to be difficult to cosplay at all. I'm not sure I want to be in full cosplay riding the city trains in Chicago. Ugh. I really wish they thought about these things when ReepPop decides to put on a SW convention. A small handful of hotels connected to the convention center does not cut it for conventions like Celebration. I go back and forth numerous times during the convention to either my car or the hotel and this makes it impossible. I hope this is the last time this convention is in Chicago.
    how far away are you that you will be riding trains daily? Hotels are only a few miles away. HAve you thought about changing your cosplay plans and NOT changing several times a day. You have to adapt to the show and the environment like we all do.

you can always go to/from the McC parking lots that are attached. You can contact McC and see about renting a small space and/or room for cosplayers to change. you could contact RP and discuss this with Mary as well. Even for future events.

Should have my ST Captain up and running by then.
    Lego ISD "Avenger"
    "Don't under estimate the power of the Dark Side"

Does anyone remember Cele. 4 at the LA convention Center years ago? Gencon ran it. they had 3 large rooms available for day storage of fans items. this was very convenient for 501st members and their armor. this could also be used for other cos-players. there was also a room set aside for dressing in. I will call Reed and ask them if this can be arranged for Chicago.I will emphasize the inconveniences of the hotel situation for cosplayers and fans in general. I'm just a fan like everyone else, but unless someone starts the ball rolling nothing will get done. I will call Monday at the earliest for us all.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthBaldylox View Post
    how far away are you that you will be riding trains daily? Hotels are only a few miles away. HAve you thought about changing your cosplay plans and NOT changing several times a day. You have to adapt to the show and the environment like we all do.

you can always go to/from the McC parking lots that are attached. You can contact McC and see about renting a small space and/or room for cosplayers to change. you could contact RP and discuss this with Mary as well. Even for future events.
    I'm fully aware I will have to adapt to the show and environment "like we all do". I was pointing out that a convention like this where hotels are not plentiful in the immediate area, and are twice what I've spent at other Celebrations, is not a place that is conducive to a convention like this. There are plenty of cities with convention centers where this is not the case. Secondly, the hotel we obtained through OnPeak (because every hotel connected to McCormick was sold out) is 3 miles away as are EVERY SINGLE OTHER HOTEL THAT IS OFFERED THROUGH OnPeak. There aren't any that are 1 mile out. They were all 2.8-4+ miles away. I was online early the day they went on sale to try and land a hotel attached and that was literally impossible as I couldn't even get into the reservation site for an hour. There is a Hyatt, Marriott, Home2Suites, Hampton & Hilton Garden connected to McCormick and every one was sold out and still is, through OnPeak. And there is NO chance that I'm spending $400+ per night to book on my own through Hilton itself. This is my entire point. In Orlando and Anaheim, where it has been for the past 8 years had hotel rooms that were much cheaper if you couldn't land one through onPeak. Cheaper and walking distance. We won't want to be spending thousands in hotels, we want to be spending that money AT Celebration for photo ops and souvenirs.

We are also not going to have a car so the parking garage is useless for us. The cost of renting a car and then paying to park it at the hotel and at the convention center would add on ANOTHER $1,000! So yes, if you're trying to understand why we would be taking a train everywhere, it's because we won't have a car and the hotel is 3 miles away. I'm not walking a 5K every day one way in April in Chicago...in cosplay no less. Trains, Lyft, Uber, that is what we will need to take. And we don't go back and forth to change costumes several times a day. We go back and forth at least twice to rest for a bit if we've been standing in lines since 3am, to change into street clothes for a photo op, to eat a meal outside of the convention center, to shower if need be. While I'm aware not everyone wants to get away from the convention center for an hour or 2 each day, it is nice for those of us who DO want to. Having the convention in a place that has options for everyone and affordable hotels, parking and food, are much preferred for a leisure convention where you're not traveling on business who is picking up the tab. People who live outside of big cities aren't used to the prices and traffic in bigger cities. They're supposed to offer more and instead this trip is costing us literally 3X more than we spent at every other Celebration we've been to. While nobody is twisting our arms making us spend this, we are disappointed that we probably won't be able to go to the next one because of the amount we have to spend for this one. And for it to be inconvenient for getting anywhere!

We will do what we need to do, but it is inconvenient and expensive, something that is fully within the control of ReedPop in what location they choose. And that was the entire point I made with my brief original post.

I'm sorry its costing you 3x more. There's ups and downs for everybody. I'd say more UPS with how fast it sold out. I'm sorry thr best you can find is 1000$ for parking, rental, and parking. I know you can get a car 20-25$, McC is 23$/16hrs and hotels are around 30-60 depending on which you are at. I spent under 300$ last convention there, staying at Sheraton down town with my personal car. Using the shuttles saves you a lot. Hotel for me is cheaper than what I paid in Orlando using on-peak. its 3mi away. thats just the way Chicago is laid out. I think ill be spending LESS in Chicago than Orlando overall and I'll need my car at McC because i have a booth and might need to store some stuff in the car.

As for resting at your room. there will be plenty of folks to befriend. Start asking in the hotel groups for folks will to allow nap visits. Its a thing, not widely talked about, but people do it. I gave access to my hotel in Orlando for 2hrs a day for a guy i met inline who needed to change costumes daily. He gave me 10$ a day.

SW is a community of people who like to help. just have to ask. Someone was already calling RP today to check on a cosplay room and I've contacted McC for the same thing. no response yet. As a non cos-player, that never donned on me. After your post it did, so im inquiring to help.

If i hear anything about a room, ill post here. If i find anyone wanting to share nap space, ill post again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast