Thread: Afa question

Afa question

I have what I was told was a first shot. When I send it into Afa to have it graded will they authenticate that? How exactly does that work, do I need to state what I believe it is or do I send it in and they will “know”? Their website is straight out of 1995 so it’s hard to get any info on the process. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by x98lbwuss View Post
    I have what I was told was a first shot. When I send it into Afa to have it graded will they authenticate that? How exactly does that work, do I need to state what I believe it is or do I send it in and they will “know”? Their website is straight out of 1995 so it’s hard to get any info on the process. Thanks
    Yes, they can authenticate it. When you fill out the submission form (online or paper) you note that you think that it is a first shot there.

Separately, Tom Derby over at Collectible Investment Brokerage will also do a COA (certificate of authenticity) for about $75 if you don't want a number grade, just verification for yourself or any future buyer.

If you go to any regional or national SW conventions/toy shows, there are also many long time collectors (both buyers and sellers) that could simply tell you if it is legit for nothing but a handshake. Kane County Toy show outside of Chicago is next weekend.

Yeah if it is your first time doing a submission it takes some time. There will be a section on it when your typing in the name and year and toy line a spot for variants: put in first shot there and also on the title line. If the figure is in rough shape not a bad idea to have it just authenticated. I actually think afa may force the additional CIB for the first shot but not sure

I guess my question is more along the lines of if you submit something do they authenticate what it actually is vs. just a loose figure. Example, if I sent in a figure not knowing what it was, say a garage sale find, thinking it was just a nice figure and it turned out to be a first shot or something rare will they automatically grade it as such or do they just grade it as to what I claim it to be?

2 years ago I sent a minty han small head in- got it back with a very rare painted leg variant tagged to it not knowing that ahead of time...they are trained and are supposed to catch these things but you never know. They will not overlook a firstshot just out of spite because you didnt mark it as such