Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Deal Extended for Three Years

Lucasfilm is developing feature projects from Game of Thrones creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, as well as a potential trilogy from Rian Johnson, the filmmaker behind Last Jedi. Johnson, however, is currently prepping to shoot a detective thriller that is to star Daniel Craig.

Potential? Why did they use the word potential, when we all know the Rian Johnson trilogy is 100% guaranteed? Maybe they meant to say it has the potential to be super wonderful?

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    "But it hasn’t always been easy money. Kennedy has had to replace directors on two movies that were either in production or post-. Chris Lord and Phil Miller were fired from Solo: A Star Wars Story on June 20, 2017, less than a year before the film's release. Kennedy also effectively replaced Rogue One: A Star Wars Story director Gareth Edwards with helmer Tony Gilroy, though Edwards kept his directing credit. Last year, Colin Trevorrow, who was to have directed Star Wars: Episode IX, was fired and replaced with the series' Episode VII helmer, J.J. Abrams, a week later. "

Kennedy's deal extension also follows a polarizing reaction to Last Jedi — which sits at 91 percent fresh on review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes but was flooded with unusually angry fan complaints on social media about key plot choices. The reaction to Last Jediand Solo is resulting in a shift in studio strategy, with Disney making plans to slow the output of movies. "You can expect some slowdown," Disney CEO Bob Iger told THR in an interview published on Sept. 20, adding, "but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films."
    This right here is what bothers me, she hired them in the first place. If they weren't right for SW, wouldn't you have been able to determine this prior to? Just like Actors have to audition for a role. Directors have to give some kind of body of work and a treatment for what they plan to do for your story. You don't exactly hire some rube off the street and give them 100% freedom day one.
    So IMO, her track record on SW isn't exactly stellar. I get that some people don't work out, aren't a good fit. It's happened with Marvel a few times.
    But she doesn't fill me with confidence at all, which is why I have zero expectation for Star Wars anymore.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Mildoo View Post
    Lol. Creative. That's the go to word these days for kids...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkManX View Post
    the taste of bigots' tears is delicious
    The delusion of those individuals who (mistakenly) believe they're entitled simply because of sad SJW dogma including the "everyone who disagrees with me is a bigot" victim-mentality baloney is simply outrageous. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by BosskHasManners View Post
    The delusion of those individuals who (mistakenly) believe they're entitled simply because of sad SJW dogma including the "everyone who disagrees with me is a bigot" victim-mentality baloney is simply outrageous. Sad.
    only people playing the victim card are the angry white males that think women and minorities are incapable of doing anything unless some hidden agenda forces them upon the masses. Sorry if my post hit too close to home for you. Spout some more alt right buzzwords and acronyms to make yourself feel better.
    OT,PT,ST,RO,TPM,AOTC,ROTS,ANH,ESB,ROTJ,TFA,TLJ.... .STOP THE ABBREVIATION MADNESS!!! We are one abbreviation away from being scientologists. Now is the time to join The Abbreviation Resistance Movement!!!

only people playing the victim card are the angry white males that think women and minorities are incapable of doing anything unless some hidden agenda forces them upon the masses. Sorry if my post hit too close to home for you. Spout some more alt right buzzwords and acronyms to make yourself feel better.
    Ain't gonna happen.

I'm not even a white male. I'm not even that against all Kennedy's decisions.

I am, however, against the hypocrisy of racist, sexist poor sports like you who think you can get away with your trashy, illogical, all-or-nothing identity statements (i.e. "white males") that a certain part of the media/culture has made you feel comfortable with.

So, yeah, in the way of you bringing "bigotry" into this thread giving anyone like yourself the option of relegating movie/franchise criticism to the raving of bigots did hit too close to home. I'm disgusted to see what our culture has become.

I'm not afraid to educate you with the truth... in issues like this, you should be focused on movie/franchise reviewing.

Instead, you are a delusional SJW muddying the waters of franchise discussion by playing the race and gender card. Nothing more, and likely less.

EDITED TO ADD: Acronym too off-putting? If it makes you feel better, replace the "SJW" acronym with "individual possessing high amount of (typically baseless) passion on issues of social justice"
    Grow up.
    Last edited by BosskHasManners; 09-29-2018 at 07:51 AM.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! I'm going to stop you right there...you know what an acronym is?
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 09-29-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Quote Originally Posted by BosskHasManners View Post
    Ain't gonna happen.

I'm not even a white male. I'm not even that against all Kennedy's decisions.

I am, however, against the hypocrisy of racist, sexist poor sports like you who think you can get away with your trashy, illogical, all-or-nothing identity statements (i.e. "white males") that a certain part of the media/culture has made you feel comfortable with.

So, yeah, in the way of you bringing "bigotry" into this thread giving anyone like yourself the option of relegating movie/franchise criticism to the raving of bigots did hit too close to home. I'm disgusted to see what our culture has become.

I'm not afraid to educate you with the truth... in issues like this, you should be focused on movie/franchise reviewing.

Instead, you are a delusional SJW muddying the waters of franchise discussion by playing the race and gender card. Nothing more, and likely less.

EDITED TO ADD: Acronym too off-putting? If it makes you feel better, replace the "SJW" acronym with "individual possessing high amount of (typically baseless) passion on issues of social justice"
    Grow up.
    Well you didn't say a single thing about the movies. You just ranted about social justice warriors and saying women and minorities only get parts because of "entitlement". As usual, people like yourself can dish it out but can't take it. You can't spout a bunch of buzzwords from fox news and not expect to be called out for it. There's not a single thing that I've posted that's even close to racist or hypocritical. The vast majority of the people that use right wing buzzwords are white, male, and angry. That's a fact. It has nothing to do with not liking the movies. The people that genuinely dislike them actually talk about the movies instead of ranting about Cray Cray Kennedy and Ruin Johnson (how clever!!!) every single post.

Enjoy the salt, being on the wrong side of history, and your personal pride in your ignorance and bigotry.
    OT,PT,ST,RO,TPM,AOTC,ROTS,ANH,ESB,ROTJ,TFA,TLJ.... .STOP THE ABBREVIATION MADNESS!!! We are one abbreviation away from being scientologists. Now is the time to join The Abbreviation Resistance Movement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    This right here is what bothers me, she hired them in the first place. If they weren't right for SW, wouldn't you have been able to determine this prior to?

IDK, but I believe that a proper cinematic chemistry has to develop between the directors and actors. This article pretty much sums it up, particularly considering Lord/Miller's script largely remained unchanged after their departure.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/03/so...od-1201943599/

Eventually, it comes to the getting the tone right for the movie, which apparently Kennedy/Kasdan weren't happy with. And like the Sophia Coppola example, actors should feel that they have a significant contribution in the director's vision, but it seems it never developed in this situation. Lord/Miller themselves have said they didn't believe in 'creative differences' which they believe was a cliché, but maybe imposing that on a over 40 year franchise might have presented a challenge for them. Plus, their novice experience in live-action coming out of the animation industry may have contributed to that as well. Eventually, Kennedy made the call perhaps going on the conservative/secure route....maybe too little/too late in lieu of The Last Jedi.

Now my co-workers have 'accused' me at looking at the world through rose-colored glasses and the glass half full, so it's my hope Kennedy spends the next couple of years truly reflecting on the life-lessons learned on her taking the reins in finding new, creative and APPEASING ways to maintain the franchise in an ongoing and forward momentum. But at the same token, going on a conservation/secure route might take a toll on future Star Wars projects losing a bit of grandness and epic-ness in them. She might be a product of old corporate Hollywood, but I think she might to exercise some trepidation if she wants to take the franchise at all in some progressive direction.

Last edited by Deak_Starkiller; 09-29-2018 at 12:21 PM.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    This right here is what bothers me, she hired them in the first place. If they weren't right for SW, wouldn't you have been able to determine this prior to? Just like Actors have to audition for a role. Directors have to give some kind of body of work and a treatment for what they plan to do for your story. You don't exactly hire some rube off the street and give them 100% freedom day one.
    So IMO, her track record on SW isn't exactly stellar. I get that some people don't work out, aren't a good fit. It's happened with Marvel a few times.
    But she doesn't fill me with confidence at all, which is why I have zero expectation for Star Wars anymore.
    and just like in real life sometimes you hire the wrong person. This happens in movies quite a lot really where an actor or director isn't working or they have a different view on what the movie should be. \|

Famously Eric Stotlz was Marty in Back to the Future but it wasn't until several days into filming that they realized he wasn't working.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast