Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Grading Obsession

That’s not the same thing at all. You’d have to make that same argument about any collectible and its condition. Regardless if it’s graded, most people want their collectibles in good condition and there is a big difference between a 75 and an 85, IMO.

It depends on who is grading the piece, on a given day. Again I've seen several pieces that it was tough to tell between a 80 and 85 grade (it's usually something very small, fine detail that they side with a higher or lower grade). When the loose figure in incased, a grade of 75 or 80 , how can one tell exactly how loose the limbs are ? You can't, since it's incased and you cannot check the limbs. Also, if it's a white figure , well sorry to say but white plastics do discolor over time. No matter if it's been in darkness or on display. It may have been graded a 85 at one point in time, but now has slightly discolored limbs. Is it still a 85 grade ?

Sure, I get what you're saying. Most people do want a nicer condition piece. With it being nicer condition, there is a price to be paid. If you're OK with buying a loose figure, maybe try and find as nice of loose and be happy with that (most likely it will be less money then a AFA 80 or 85 grade).
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    Refining my broken English to proper English, *cuz John A. said so

Quote Originally Posted by LooseBidstalker View Post
    That’s not the same thing at all. You’d have to make that same argument about any collectible and its condition. Regardless if it’s graded, most people want their collectibles in good condition and there is a big difference between a 75 and an 85, IMO.
    Yea I agree, there is a big big big difference between 75s and 85s, I have seen it, whether it be MOCs or MISB.

I will say tho, some 75s, if we are talking MISB items, can have nice fresh bright colors on the box but all it takes is some big creases and poof, there is why it was a 75 rather than say 85.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
    Also, if it's a white figure , well sorry to say but white plastics do discolor over time. No matter if it's been in darkness or on display. It may have been graded a 85 at one point in time, but now has slightly discolored limbs. Is it still a 85 grade ?
    I brought that point up earlier too. I don't think it should still be considered an 85 if its deteriorated over time. That's were we get back into should there be a set parameters of years that a grade is good for? If AFA doesn't set those rules then it is up to the community and individual collectors to know how many years back a figure was graded and if that grade should still be considered valid. I've said it before, I think it would be wise for AFA to go ahead and stake claim as being the authority in setting those rules now in preparation for years to come. It would bring in additional revenue for them to offer a lower "regrade" price to collectors. I don't think that 15 or 20 years is a bad marker as an expiration date for grades. A lot can happen in that amount of time and decomposing figures are a real possibility depending on how they are stored. I know its like you are having your figure graded twice, but in 15 or 20 years (if you're planning to invest that long) the demand prices are likely to either increase or drastically increase and your investment could be worth that much more. Does anyone know if AFA or has anyone talked to AFA about what the future of grading looks like to them? Or are they only thinking how they are going to be grading Force Awakens figures in 20 years?
    Last edited by WampasGottaEat2; 10-04-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    I brought that point up earlier too. I don't think it should still be considered an 85 if its deteriorated over time. That's were we get back into should there be a set parameters of years that a grade is good for? If AFA doesn't set those rules then it is up to the community and individual collectors to know how many years back a figure was graded and if that grade should still be considered valid. I've said it before, I think it would be wise for AFA to go ahead and stake claim as being the authority in setting those rules now in preparation for years to come. It would bring in additional revenue for them to offer a lower "regrade" price to collectors. I don't think that 15 or 20 years is a bad marker as an expiration date for grades. A lot can happen in that amount of time and decomposing figures are a real possibility depending on how they are stored. I know its like you are having your figure graded twice, but in 15 or 20 years (if you're planning to invest that long) the demand prices are likely to either increase or drastically increase and your investment could be worth that much more. Does anyone know if AFA or has anyone talked to AFA about what the future of grading looks like to them? Or are they only thinking how they are going to be grading Force Awakens figures in 20 years?
    based on all this conversation I would venture to say that grades are pretty much worthless as more time passes from the date of the grade.

There would be more value in these services if we thought of them as "authentication" services versus grading services- IF they actually know what is authentic and correct which some have said is also in question...fake vcj's being authenticated would be extreme but even the wrong accessories (not fake, but wrong version based on coo, etc.) has been seen in many cases.

Probably no business case to run these services as authentication only though as the only ones that really need it are the rarest figures or hardest ones for your average collector to know the difference...

OK, I partially eat my words. You're not totally collecting a number , more so you're collecting an acrylic display case. People/collectors make those, so you could just buy a acrylic display case (for proofs , MOC's , not so sure about loose figures). That's where AFA / CAS shines, is with incasing loose figures. I could see if it's a rarer/harder to find loose figure (say a VC Jawa) , having it AFA graded ( any grade) , at least doubles (maybe triples) the value of a particular figure versus selling it loose. But for a common loose figure, or even a last 15 figure, to pay $30-40 bucks to then get it incased in acrylic seems pointless to me (from a value stand point), but they do look good on display (some value there, $30-40 worth, I don't know)
    "It is better to light a small candle then to curse the darkness" ~Confucius
    WTB:any ESB Rebel Soldier Proof card
    Refining my broken English to proper English, *cuz John A. said so

It would be very simple to start a validation service here on RS.

Step one. Buy cases from Iain's site.

Step two, seal the case with a tamper proof serial numbered hologram.

No grades, only validation. Records can be stored and viewed on a data base here on RS

The only issue would be a mod or trusted member to send the pieces to.

After all, we keep saying this site is dedicated to preserving and protecting the hobby. In my opinion, this can be a big step and new beginning.
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_L View Post
    OK, I partially eat my words. You're not totally collecting a number , more so you're collecting an acrylic display case. People/collectors make those, so you could just buy a acrylic display case (for proofs , MOC's , not so sure about loose figures). That's where AFA / CAS shines, is with incasing loose figures. I could see if it's a rarer/harder to find loose figure (say a VC Jawa) , having it AFA graded ( any grade) , at least doubles (maybe triples) the value of a particular figure versus selling it loose. But for a common loose figure, or even a last 15 figure, to pay $30-40 bucks to then get it incased in acrylic seems pointless to me (from a value stand point), but they do look good on display (some value there, $30-40 worth, I don't know)

Every collector is a a little bit different I know. For some, the grade what people are after. It puts a figures condition on a level playing field so I respect that. Me, I like to handle and touch the stuff I collect and if I had a VCJ I would probably just pick up a cheap acrylic case to keep it in, but still want to access it. To each their own though.

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    It would be very simple to start a validation service here on RS.

Step one. Buy cases from Iain's site.

Step two, seal the case with a tamper proof serial numbered hologram.

No grades, only validation. Records can be stored and viewed on a data base here on RS

The only issue would be a mod or trusted member to send the pieces to.

After all, we keep saying this site is dedicated to preserving and protecting the hobby. In my opinion, this can be a big step and new beginning.
    I would enjoy something like that and would probably partake if the conditions were right. A validation system seems like it would still entomb the figures in acrylic forever, which I don’t like. But allowing them to be removed from acrylic would kill the point of validating them I suppose. Wish there was a way to have my cake and eat it too. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by WampasGottaEat2 View Post
    I would enjoy something like that and would probably partake if the conditions were right. A validation system seems like it would still entomb the figures in acrylic forever, which I don’t like. But allowing them to be removed from acrylic would kill the point of validating them I suppose. Wish there was a way to have my cake and eat it too. Haha
    Using a tamper proof seal is just like using tape to seal baggie figures. The only difference is, if you try to remove the seal, you can't reattach it. The tamper proof seal is designed to come apart leaving it useless. Therfore if you own a validation piece, it's yours, you know it's real, and you can open it and play all you want. If you decide to part with it, it can be revalidated as long as you keep it original.

The cost of the hologram depends on the amount we buy. Iain's cases are the same with price breaks for multiple purchases. Hologram companies can customize it to say anything on the seal. Example could be RS with a serial number under it.

I would guess this can be a group effort with purchase of the hologram seals along with a possible black light to expose paint touch ups. Someone here would be the keeper of the seals and we would send the cases and figures to them. Pay a reasonable price for the time and shipping.

A no reply sticky thread can be used to store the numbered pieces for records

This can be accomplished with very little to no effort
    Vintage Toy Collector. TOYMANS FEEDBACK http://forum.rebelscum.com/t1113796/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123