Thread: Star Wars Insider

Star Wars Insider

Cleaning out closets this weekend and found a couple boxes of back issues of Star Wars Insider. The issue on top of the first box was 2009, others are probably 'around' that time. Is this the type of thing people would want? Any recommendations on what to do with them? I hate to drop them in the recycle bin if some collector out there is looking for the issue with Cade Bane to complete their collection and I happen to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by OBone View Post
    Cleaning out closets this weekend and found a couple boxes of back issues of Star Wars Insider. The issue on top of the first box was 2009, others are probably 'around' that time. Is this the type of thing people would want? Any recommendations on what to do with them? I hate to drop them in the recycle bin if some collector out there is looking for the issue with Cade Bane to complete their collection and I happen to have it.
    You can try to sell them, but I suspect only a hardcore collector would want any of these. The info. in them is all outdated.

If you don't want to sell them, you can try to donate them somewhere - but I'm not sure who would want them. I had a subscription to the SWI myself years ago, and found myself with a large box of these back issues as well (I had let my subscription lapse - since, like I said, the info. in them was all outdated even right after it was released). They were taking up valuable room, so I ended up donating all of them to my local library. A couple of months later, I was putting some cardboard boxes in the library's recycling bin (which was in the parking lot), and noticed all of the SWI mags. I had donated, thrown in the bin - LOL. I guess they had less use for these than I thought. In any case, at least they will be useful somewhere - i.e. ending up as recyclables is better than being thrown in the trash & ending up in some landfill.
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 09-22-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Surely someone here will want them. Offer them up for a fair price or list want you would like in trade and I'm sure you'll find a taker.

Quote Originally Posted by ThallJoben View Post
    You can try to sell them, but I suspect only a hardcore collector would want any of these. The info. in them is all outdated.

If you don't want to sell them, you can try to donate them somewhere - but I'm not sure who would want them. I had a subscription to the SWI myself years ago, and found myself with a large box of these back issues as well (I had let my subscription lapse - since, like I said, the info. in them was all outdated even right after it was released). They were taking up valuable room, so I ended up donating all of them to my local library. A couple of months later, I was putting some cardboard boxes in the library's recycling bin (which was in the parking lot), and noticed all of the SWI mags. I had donated, thrown in the bin - LOL. I guess they had less use for these than I thought. In any case, at least they will be useful somewhere - i.e. ending up as recyclables is better than being thrown in the trash & ending up in some landfill.
    That was my suspicion. I wasn't necessarily trying to make money, just didn't want to throw away something somebody might want. Seems like I am best to head to recycling and skip the "donate to the library step." :-) Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by RDM View Post
    Surely someone here will want them. Offer them up for a fair price or list want you would like in trade and I'm sure you'll find a taker.
    I'll figure out how to offer them up and see what happens. Even if they are a 'freebie' I would guess the cost of shipping would not be worth it. They are pretty heavy. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OBone View Post
    I'll figure out how to offer them up and see what happens. Even if they are a 'freebie' I would guess the cost of shipping would not be worth it. They are pretty heavy. Thanks.
    Agreed. One of the reasons I don't bother selling things like this - especially through the mail - is the cost of shipping. You'll end up paying as much - or more - for the shipping than you would get for the items. Screw that. There's also the hassle of having to go to the post office, etc.

Again, your best bet is to donate these or recycle them.
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 09-23-2018 at 08:31 AM.

If you decide to donate and your library isn't interested in them, maybe consider donating them to an art class at a local school. Images in magazines are frequently used in drawing assignments, and I imagine those images in particular would prove to be popular.
    My best friend is a middle school art teacher and I once gave him a bunch of old Insiders and various other magazines and comic books that weren't worth much, and his students loved using them.

Good suggestion. Thanks.

Still have trouble finding this out in in the wild.
    You don't know the power of the dark side!