Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone notice how things seem to be getting... dirtier?

From my original collection I have a vintage stormtrooper and an r2-d2 with spots that have developed over the years. Any way to clean/ minimise the spots rather than using acids??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toyman941 View Post
    I have heard from non smoking collectors complain about their own pieces begin to smell like cigarettes. I guess it's part of the breakdown of plasics.

Not defending ebay sellers, I can't speak on that.

I have heard to get rid of cigarette smell, you can use vinegar first, then wash with soapy warm water.
    One can also try putting them in an enclosed container submerged in baking soda for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by ILoveSlaveLeia View Post
    I'm okay with a little dirt...it's the cigarette smoke smell that drives me crazy. Put that one cigarette-smelling figure in a bin with other figures, and soon they will all stink. What's worse is that you can't trust the "from a smoke and pet free home" tag that ebay sellers love to use. I can't tell you how many times recently I've gotten figures that still smell like smoke despite that claim. At least I can wash off dirt!
    oh good lord hate that! also stuff i order from yojoe outlet has a weird smell too.
    that star destroyer playset was filthy that i got.
    usually soap and water does it for me for the cig smell,toyman. but you'd think they could at least clean it before they sell it.
    instead ebay sellers are like "welp were selling it cleaning it is your problem now" :p
    (hums cloud city music) doo do doot do, do dooo do doot do, doo do do do

Quote Originally Posted by Jadesfire133336b View Post
    oh good lord hate that! also stuff i order from yojoe outlet has a weird smell too.
    that star destroyer playset was filthy that i got.
    usually soap and water does it for me for the cig smell,toyman. but you'd think they could at least clean it before they sell it.
    instead ebay sellers are like "welp were selling it cleaning it is your problem now" :p
    I think people who sell vintage figures and toys on a regular basis don't always clean them because of the time it takes to do each piece. Someone selling lets say 100 or even 200 figures a month likely isn't going to take the time to clean all of them when they have that much coming in and going out. I know that's on the extreme side of bulk vintage selling, but people do it. I remember that Star Destroyer though, it was pretty dirty. Did it clean up well?

thats true i suppose about selling huge lots but when i buy just regular loose figures it just seems lazy. but they could be reselling them from a large lot.
    the star destroyer looks nicer now but if i rub a q tip on it it still comes away dirty like its embedded in the plastic or something. also i cant get all those nooks and crannies on the roof clean theres still lots of dirt deep down where the qtip cant reach. i still need legs and a lighting rig for the shaft of the meditation chamber to complete it though.
    also a while back i got a potf2 hoth playset (97) that was "new in the box" how ever when i opened it it had a bunch of brown dirty stuff all over it.
    while i tend to just think the guy sold me a playset he used(instructions showed attaching a hatch that was already on it) i found a similer thing on vehicles that had been in strarge for like 10 to 15 years tho i also found some kind of pill bugs in there too (dead on the snow speeder )
    Last edited by Jadesfire133336b; 10-03-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    (hums cloud city music) doo do doot do, do dooo do doot do, doo do do do

Yeah that roof is a pain, sort of like doing that falcon. That dust will settle in the worse places

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12