Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 454

Thread: The Cost Of Hasbro’s Star Wars License

  1. #1

    The Cost Of Hasbro’s Star Wars License

    Quote Originally Posted by xfamousnicknaro View Post
    Do you have a link to the JTA article. Iíd genuinely like to read it.
    Check out the Netflix Documentary series 'The Toys That Made Us'. The first episode is about Star Wars, and they went in to significant detail about the original Star Wars licensing deal, and how that wound up getting negotiated in the 1990's. And the term for the fees that a toy company pays to an IP (intellectual property) owner is actually called a royalty. Star Wars as a brand has some of the highest royalty rates in the licensed merchandise business. In fact, when Hasbro renegotiated their deal with George Lucas in the 1990's, Lucas wound up with a substantial ownership stake in Hasbro as part of the compensation package.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by xfamousnicknaro View Post
    Iím willing to be proven wrong, but as far as Iíve seen, action figures are the only product that suffers the ďStar Wars taxĒ.
    Not true unfortunately. I'm a Lego collector as well and a frequent complaint there is the prices of Lego Star Wars sets.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicklab View Post
    Check out the Netflix Documentary series 'The Toys That Made Us'. The first episode is about Star Wars, and they went in to significant detail about the original Star Wars licensing deal, and how that wound up getting negotiated in the 1990's. And the term for the fees that a toy company pays to an IP (intellectual property) owner is actually called a royalty. Star Wars as a brand has some of the highest royalty rates in the licensed merchandise business. In fact, when Hasbro renegotiated their deal with George Lucas in the 1990's, Lucas wound up with a substantial ownership stake in Hasbro as part of the compensation package.
    Thanks, but Iíve seen that and I know what a royalty is. All Iím saying is, not everything that has Star Wars slapped on it gets a significant increase in price compared to other similar products. T-shirts, Pez Dispensers, folders, posters, even the films themselves are all the exact same price as any other licensed product of the same kind. Iím sure Hasbro is being extorted just because at one point the figure line was the number one seller. But now, that agreement is becoming more of an albatross than something people will look past because itís Star Wars. When is the license up? Maybe Hasbro needs to heavily negotiate so they can get back to making good, affordable products without having to cite licensing fees for why things are so expensive, or let it go altogether.
    Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.

    Twitter/Instagram: @BeRealNickNaro
    Customs Twitter/Instagram:@ArticuLesson / @ArticuLessons

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by xfamousnicknaro View Post
    Thanks, but I’ve seen that and I know what a royalty is. All I’m saying is, not everything that has Star Wars slapped on it gets a significant increase in price compared to other similar products. T-shirts, Pez Dispensers, folders, posters, even the films themselves are all the exact same price as any other licensed product of the same kind. I’m sure Hasbro is being extorted just because at one point the figure line was the number one seller. But now, that agreement is becoming more of an albatross than something people will look past because it’s Star Wars. When is the license up? Maybe Hasbro needs to heavily negotiate so they can get back to making good, affordable products without having to cite licensing fees for why things are so expensive, or let it go altogether.
    This is a solid point.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by xfamousnicknaro View Post
    Thanks, but I’ve seen that and I know what a royalty is. All I’m saying is, not everything that has Star Wars slapped on it gets a significant increase in price compared to other similar products. T-shirts, Pez Dispensers, folders, posters, even the films themselves are all the exact same price as any other licensed product of the same kind. I’m sure Hasbro is being extorted just because at one point the figure line was the number one seller. But now, that agreement is becoming more of an albatross than something people will look past because it’s Star Wars. When is the license up? Maybe Hasbro needs to heavily negotiate so they can get back to making good, affordable products without having to cite licensing fees for why things are so expensive, or let it go altogether.
    Well as Delta pointed out, Lego sees it too. I'm sure there's different prices for different types of merchandise. But Hasbro will NOT be in a position to negotiate if other people are bidding on the rights when license is up. The only way it can be ore affordable is if no one else wants the rights
    Last edited by GalaxyShot; 09-15-2018 at 07:34 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyShot View Post
    Well as Delta pointed out, Lego sees it too. I'm sure there's different prices for different types of merchandise. But Hasbro will NOT be in a position to negotiate if other people are bidding on the rights when license is up. The only way it can be ore affordable is if I one else wants the rights
    No, they donít. Lego follows a general ten cent per piece pricing strategy, and Star Wars is the same. For a specific example, the Lego Solo Speeder is 345 pieces and was priced at $30, so even a bit less than their normal structure. Now, those licensed sets have started getting larger and more expensive, but they still follow the same general pricing.

    I donít think any other company besides Mattel could handle the Star Wars license.
    Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.

    Twitter/Instagram: @BeRealNickNaro
    Customs Twitter/Instagram:@ArticuLesson / @ArticuLessons

  7. #7
    Agreed, only Mattel stands a chance of out bidding them. But given the decline in SW sales since Hasbro's extension, when they thought it was hot property ATM.
    I doubt anyone is going to get into a bidding war over it, it simply isn't as lucrative as it once was. Plus Mattel would be strictly 6", leaving us TVC Collectors more out in the cold than Hasbro ever did!

    It will either be Hasbro for the foreseeable future, or in house Disney.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Agreed, only Mattel stands a chance of out bidding them. But given the decline in SW sales since Hasbro's extension, when they thought it was hot property ATM.
    I doubt anyone is going to get into a bidding war over it, it simply isn't as lucrative as it once was. Plus Mattel would be strictly 6", leaving us TVC Collectors more out in the cold than Hasbro ever did!

    It will either be Hasbro for the foreseeable future, or in house Disney.
    Yeah, I don't want another company taking over and starting from scratch. What needs to happen is for the SW brand team to get an overhaul with at least one person that loves action figures and understands the long-term appeal of the brand and the appeal of the 3.75" scale for collectors that have been on board for decades.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You disappoint me! Yoda holds you in such high esteem --- SURELY you can do better!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Agreed, only Mattel stands a chance of out bidding them. But given the decline in SW sales since Hasbro's extension, when they thought it was hot property ATM.
    I doubt anyone is going to get into a bidding war over it, it simply isn't as lucrative as it once was. Plus Mattel would be strictly 6", leaving us TVC Collectors more out in the cold than Hasbro ever did!

    It will either be Hasbro for the foreseeable future, or in house Disney.
    One big solution, although I hate it, is Disney owning Hasbro. They already own Lucasfilm and the license so they wouldn't need to pay themselves. I think this is why we find for example the role play lightsabers so cheap compared to Hasbro. Disney charges $29 for theirs, and feature things like battle clash vibration and incredibly better sound boards. The ROTJ Luke you can get from Disney has a better and a perfectly accurate sound board compared to Hasbro's which is completely generic. Hasbro's feel lighter and cheaper by comparison and start at retail for something ludicrous like $59, for a TOY one, not the replicas that are metal. The Kylo Red one Hasbro just came out with for TLJ was atrociously priced. I hate to say it, but I could see Disney doing TVC even better than Hasbro because they'd be calling the shots.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SaberSonic83 View Post
    One big solution, although I hate it, is Disney owning Hasbro. They already own Lucasfilm and the license so they wouldn't need to pay themselves. I think this is why we find for example the role play lightsabers so cheap compared to Hasbro. Disney charges $29 for theirs, and feature things like battle clash vibration and incredibly better sound boards. The ROTJ Luke you can get from Disney has a better and a perfectly accurate sound board compared to Hasbro's which is completely generic. Hasbro's feel lighter and cheaper by comparison and start at retail for something ludicrous like $59, for a TOY one, not the replicas that are metal. The Kylo Red one Hasbro just came out with for TLJ was atrociously priced. I hate to say it, but I could see Disney doing TVC even better than Hasbro because they'd be calling the shots.
    100% agree. And the beauty of Disney handling the license is they could take the time to develop a more cohesive figure design, even if it meant sitting back for a year or so. They have so many other Star Wars products that they wouldn’t feel the need to rush the line as soon as they acquired it. Seeing them expand their BAD line, I would not be at all surprised if they just take ownership. It seems like they are prepping for that eventuality.

    Yeah that luke saber was nice and really tempting. Especially at the price.
    ďWhatís a Star War?Ē

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •