Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cost Of Hasbro’s Star Wars License

I like the Disney toys too. But I'm not sure if I think they'd do THAT much better of a job with action figures. Cheaper, yeah definitely. But better overall? I dunno. Their ROLE PLAY stuff is certainly great. But their actual toys are very hit and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by xfamousnicknaro View Post
    Do you have a link to the JTA article. I’d genuinely like to read it.

I couldn't find it, so I sent one of the site admins an email asking for it. And my recollection was off. It was a large discussion going on where one of the site admins brought up a list of statistics on a different post. Don't remember which one it was. BUT after bringing it up to him, he decided to write an article on it. He just posted it. Its a REALLY good read. I suggest everyone take a look.

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/20...-wars-license/
    Last edited by GalaxyShot; 09-16-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Definitely worth the read, though I still would like to get some inkling of what other licensees have to deal with. It basically just points out that Hasbro gets raked over the coals with Star Wars almost to the point of indentured servitude. Makes me wonder even more why they bother, and the only reasons I can think of is history and bragging rights. Sooner or later though, that crown is going to just be too heavy. With how often a lot of Star Wars figure related stuff gets clearanced, stores will eventually say ďno moreĒ. Maybe they sell enough to make it worth while before that happens? Itís possible, but that recent NPD report that showed Star Wars being outsold by Marvel (not a surprise really) and Jurassic World (kind of surprising) should really give Hasbro pause.

Honestly, if PUBG,Fortnite or Overwatch had a comparable figure line, theyíd have probably slapped Star Wars down another notch.

I really donít think Hasbro will drop Star Wars by choice, even if I think theyíd be better served picking up some less expensive but possibly more profitable licenses instead. Imagine they got Call of Duty and gave it the Joe treatment?
    Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.

Twitter/Instagram: @BeRealNickNaro
    Customs Twitter/Instagram:@ArticuLesson / @ArticuLessons

There has been a huge change though that happened with TFA and that is that SW figures sales have slowed down selling a huge amount. We have seen unprecedentedly small offering at stores and a huge amount of product clearanced. We can see for ourselves SW toys sales are not what they used to be and that changes the game?
    Most wanted figures: Vedain, Luke Bespin (Beatup version), Fozec, Taym Dren Garen, Sim Aloo

Star Wars is a dying brand sadly. It has seasonal appeal and nothing more at this point.
    ďWhatís a Star War?Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Idpullthecurtain View Post
    There has been a huge change though that happened with TFA and that is that SW figures sales have slowed down selling a huge amount. We have seen unprecedentedly small offering at stores and a huge amount of product clearanced. We can see for ourselves SW toys sales are not what they used to be and that changes the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick10126 View Post
    Star Wars is a dying brand sadly. It has seasonal appeal and nothing more at this point.
    Good points. Do you guys think the problem is too many new films coming too quickly or do you think it's more the problem that so many films out thre have toy lines and kids seem to just bounce from one film to the next and never really get attached to any one line?

If SW films came out every 2 years, I think that would give Hasbro a chance to play catch-up on any "secret" characters that were not to be revelaed. However, with the current market of so many films with toys, SW really has become a few months line for any kids still buying toys.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

I think there are a few items:
    Fragmentation of customer base
    Kids moving to electronics
    Hasbro not adjusting to speed of release
    Hasbro not adjusting to new paradigm

I think the last is the most interesting. By new paradigm I mean new ways of consumption and proliferation of brands and format. No surprise but both of these are brought on by technology. Today I can get hot toys, side show, LEGO, funko, Bandai, FFG, figuearts. Even 5 years ago some of those were much harder to get or didnít exist.

I think Hasbro should do what LEGO has done and go direct to consumer. They need to make HtS a real thing and use Haslab much more aggressively. Many companies that have relied on retail donít have a very good understanding of their end customer buying habits or wants. They get a view of this from blogs, forums and social media but data in the form of direct to consumer sales numbers and haslab campaigns will allow them to make better decisions. Condition of dtc has been an issue for consumer but can be solved easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper31 View Post
    Good points. Do you guys think the problem is too many new films coming too quickly or do you think it's more the problem that so many films out thre have toy lines and kids seem to just bounce from one film to the next and never really get attached to any one line?

If SW films came out every 2 years, I think that would give Hasbro a chance to play catch-up on any "secret" characters that were not to be revelaed. However, with the current market of so many films with toys, SW really has become a few months line for any kids still buying toys.
    I donít think itís too many films. Toy lines based on ongoing cartoons, like TMNT, do really well. It probably has more to do with the storytelling in the new films. Overall, I enjoy the new films, and I like the designs, but one of the big differences is that they donít allow for kids to imagine adventures between the films. TFA and TLJ are the first two films that happen back to back. Rouge One pretty much tells a complete story and then all the characters die. What do you do with that as far as play? Same thing with many of the characters in Solo, and on top of that, many of the characters arenít available yet. And the regular Solo was a pack in in a $30 set.

Youíve got all the time in between RoTJ and TFA, but what do you do? There arenít any figures to go in that timespan. You could maybe imagine Poe on some adventures. Han and Chewie smuggling, sure. But without playsets and vehicles? Meh. Itís all kind of a mess.
    Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist.

Twitter/Instagram: @BeRealNickNaro
    Customs Twitter/Instagram:@ArticuLesson / @ArticuLessons

In my opinion TLJ was least "toyetic" of all the Star Wars movies. Also the movie sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    In my opinion TLJ was least "toyetic" of all the Star Wars movies. Also the movie sucked.
    Yeah I’m trying to think who or what they could have released that would been interesting toys. One thing that has really struck me on all the lines for the new movies...where are the aliens?? And when they do release aliens, what’s the deal with all their faces being covered? Those don’t make for interesting toys. Look back at the OT and the PT. You get cantina aliens, Bounty hunters, jabba’s palace. From the PT you get nemoidians, senators, Jedi council members, gungans.

Who do you have in the ST and spin offs that aren’t wearing helmets or masks covering their face?? This is Star Wars, aliens are the world building appeal.
    ďWhatís a Star War?Ē

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast