Thread: Recommendations for a good acrylic paint wash?

Recommendations for a good acrylic paint wash?

Hi everyone,
    Iíve completed putting a base coat of paint on my Jabba dioramaís floors and walls. The floor is a basic sand color. Wall exteriors are suede, interiors are tan. Now, as they are now, itís just very basic. Iíve been told I should use a wash on them. How do I do this? Is the wash essentially a watered-down version of a darker color that is to be applied on the base layer? If so, how much paint and how much water? What is the consistency supposed to be? How many washes of different colors should be applied?

i used to paint metallic miniatures and know what shadowing is. How does that differ from a wash?

i donít want to continue until I get a better idea, thanks everyone!

You've painted miniatures, cool. So without knowing for sure, I would assume that shadowing is using a very dilluted flat black, brushing it over the details so that it fills all the crevices, then wiping off the excess before it dries. That's basically how a wash is done.

For something like your walls, which I'm assuming you used stucco for the finish, you would probably want something a little more subtle. What I would do personally is get some brown or dark brown paint, take a bit of the paint you used for your base color, and mix in a little dab of the brown. You can always add more if there isn't enough of a contrast.

Take a small little dish of water (depending on how much surface area you have to cover) and slowly start mixing in your brownish-tan color. You want it to be very runny, basically like water, maybe slightly thicker. You're going to probably want a brush big enough that you can quickly brush it over the entire surface area and then wipe it off before it dries. You can also have a spray bottle handy to keep it moist during the process. This was a helpful video when I did my Star Destroyer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0ZGTsDTcs The only big difference would be the color.

Remember you can go over it as many times as you want, until you get the right shade, which you'll probably end up doing.