Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3D Printing: Tutorials, Tips and questions.

Thanks.
    One advantage to printing multiple objects is that it gives each object time to cool before the next few layers. Since we mostly print tiny and sometimes thin objects, this is helpful (but controlling the speed can also accomplish this.

Doing multiple thin objects risks the nozzle knocking them off or snapping them. It's best to do a thin object by itself on a slightly lower nozzle temperature. You could also speed it up by 5-10%.

I can see that working on larger wider objects. But this will still increase the print time due to each layer's travel times. The nozzle has to move between the parts and that adds up over the layers.

And of course the slicing is important. That guy Danny I posted the link to shows how you can make 28mm scale minis that look almost completely smooth when printed on and FDM style printer. He uses an Ender 3 I think. Point is he was able to get small details as well as thin spears and arms to print by tweaking the settings just right. :{J
    Disney? "Canon" you say? You must unlearn what you have learned...

If you need anything 3d Printed PM me. :{J

Another tip is if you're going to use a PLA blend or HTPLA or anythign other than standard PLA, get a new nozzle and possibly heat break ready.

PLA's like the Stainless Steel or Magnetic Iron or Carbon Fiber and filaments like PTGE and the other stronger filaments eat up your nozzle fast.

The Stainless Steel PLA ate up a brand new nozzle with just a half roll. It told my nozzle "he doesn't like you and I don't like you either!" and my nozzle was easily pushed into some cantina tables. Luckily I went all Obi Wan and removed the nozzle like an Aqulishi arm.

(an example of Stainless Steel PLA)

I keep an e guitar string on hand to clean the nozzle when it's clogged and they make kits that are basically acupuncture needles to jam up in the hole.

And another different tip is how to print with multiple colors without dual or multiple extruders.

I simply let the print get to the desired layer height and cut the filament that's loaded and take the one I'm adding and follow the first filament down into the extruder.

Once the filament is loaded kind of push it through a little more to get that color coming out.

I've used this technique a lot to get this effect but also when I simply ran out of one color.

(an example of multi-color printing)

:{J

Here are more pics of my 3D printed BARC Bike with Sideshows clone on it for scale. Still have to paint and glue this together.

BARC 1;6 scale by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Nice! Which paint app are you going to do? Like is it for Neyo or any specific group of clones yet? :{J

Beautiful, as always Izzy.

I finally had a chance to 3D print again but it failed. The printer was making a strange sound.

I was talking to a worker there and he told me 2 really interesting things.

First he mentioned that an acetone vapor bath will remove the striation lines for a smooth finish.

Second, he said the library does have a 3D scanner, but it probably won't get the details I want. More importantly, he said that anyone with an Xbox can use it as a 3D scanner!! Someone discovered that the motion capture function can get really fine details. I don't have one so I didn't look into it but I thought I'd pass on this information in case one of you has an Xbox and wants to try it out.

Utinnii,

Appreciate the compliments and thank you for the information. I tried using Acetone in the past. It doesnít work with PLA. It will soften the material but it will not smooth out the lines. There is an another chemical you can use but I canít remember what is called off hand. I usually sand and use primer filler to help with the lines or if the part is really big I use smooth on XTC resin.

I havent tried using the Xbox to scan items but I did see a few demos at a few 3d expos. Right now itís not where I would like it to be. Not mention copy right issues that could arise. I try my best to stay away from doing that and design/model the parts myself. Thanks again for the information.

Izzy

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    Beautiful, as always Izzy.

I finally had a chance to 3D print again but it failed. The printer was making a strange sound.

I was talking to a worker there and he told me 2 really interesting things.

First he mentioned that an acetone vapor bath will remove the striation lines for a smooth finish.

Second, he said the library does have a 3D scanner, but it probably won't get the details I want. More importantly, he said that anyone with an Xbox can use it as a 3D scanner!! Someone discovered that the motion capture function can get really fine details. I don't have one so I didn't look into it but I thought I'd pass on this information in case one of you has an Xbox and wants to try it out.

I should have separated my post as it wasn't all directed at Izzy. The second part was for anyone.

He's correct about PLA and acetone not working.

With regards to both 3D printing and 3D scanning, I agree that it can be even better and isn't quite where I need them to be. (I want want of those tools Wesley's fellow kidnapped kid used in STNG where he imagined an object and it replicated it: from the alien abduction episode).

I want the scanner for my own creations, although copyright is still an issue if it is based on an existing property. I doubt Hasbro would make puffer pigs, Blurrgs and many other creatures I've created.

Although, scanning Hasbro parts for personal use is still something I am interested in.

Added some more detail to the back of the Speeder Bike. Replacing what I sanded off.

BSB by Izzy Mel, on Flickr

Hey, I just discovered a new poster on Thingiverse that is making a lot of droids from Star Wars in 3.75 scale!
    Enjoy!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast