Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Jabba’s Throne Room diorama (under construction)

I haven't used spackle, but I've used Poly Fill so I assume they work the same. Other than concrete (acidic), anything that textures should do the job. I use a trowel/pallet knife and a brush to get in tight spots.

Start with an easy area, or test it on the back first. Do the hard parts last. Also, don't start with too much all at once. It is easy enough to mix (if not premixed).

Yes to letting it dry before painting/washing. If you use watercolor, do that last.

Update! Ok, I have completed basically a first round of painting and washing. Please keep in mind I have never painted/washed/even built a diorama. So, here you go. Please give it a look and I’d love your feedback! I’m having a grate built and a rotisserie and a few other things. It’s getting there!

You should be really happy with this. I looks great so far. Your next wash might need to go darker (but that might be a camera problem, not a dio one.).

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    You should be really happy with this. I looks great so far. Your next wash might need to go darker (but that might be a camera problem, not a dio one.).
    Thanks Utinniii. I think it’s a little of both. This weekend I’m buying Liquitex modeling paste, and coarse texture gel to mix with darker shades of tan. I’ve been told this will help give the walls/floors a grittier texture. Then I’ll do another wash to fill in the cracks. Thanks for your support!

Excellent progress. I can't wait to see your next update.

Wow. That's looking great. Are you making those tables from the alcoves? :{J
    Disney? "Canon" you say? You must unlearn what you have learned...

If you need anything 3d Printed PM me. :{J

Ok. Here’s another update. Liquitex makes Stucco gel (buy it at Michaels), so I mixed it with a base paint and repainted and rewashed the walls. Liquitex also makes a gel that makes a sand texture and I’m waiting on that to paint/wash the floors.

also, I’m paying a guy who does custom work to build the Rotisserie, Grating, some tables/bottles, wind chime, and the alcove tables. I should have them in October.

Heres where I am now:

Great work, it's really coming along! And the painted accents around the doorways really add something. So two questions:

Are you planning on doing anything with the outside walls at all?

How are you planning on displaying it?

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Sceptaurus View Post
    Great work, it's really coming along! And the painted accents around the doorways really add something. So two questions:

Are you planning on doing anything with the outside walls at all?

How are you planning on displaying it?
    Thank you! I don’t plan of painting the outside walls, like I would the exterior of my house. I look at it this way: We see the interior of Jabba’s palace, not really the exterior. I do plan, however, to get tan foamboard and construct ceilings, so to speak, that I can fit with lighting.

As for displaying, that’s a good question. I am not glueing the whole thing together because there’s no way I could move it. I need to keep it in pieces so I can store it. I have a small house so I really don’t know. I would like to perhaps get a table big enough to display it in the room where I’m currently building/painting it. I will store it carefully in my basement very carefully so it doesn’t get ruined by dankness or humidity.

Lieutenant Commander

•    
    Love the scale of this dio. Where will you stash it when finished...?
    Do or not do - there is no try.
    Here you can find ALL my Lord of the Rings customs: http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92060

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast