Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast

Thread: Rian Johnson's trillogy is still being made

Quote Originally Posted by lister View Post
    Like frequenting a Star Wars message board where the movie is discussed regularly? Good thinking.
    I guess you didn't get the joke.........................
    I
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

nm wrong thread
    Last edited by DarkManX; 07-04-2019 at 06:16 AM.
    OT,PT,ST,RO,TPM,AOTC,ROTS,ANH,ESB,ROTJ,TFA,TLJ.... .STOP THE ABBREVIATION MADNESS!!! We are one abbreviation away from being scientologists. Now is the time to join The Abbreviation Resistance Movement!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DarkManX View Post
    nm wrong thread
    Oh, man, I thought there was something new to complain about.............
    Last edited by Trooper31; 07-04-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    #1 want: Admiral Piett (3.75" TVC line)

I'd like to exercise my right to free speech, but I really don't have anything to say at the moment.

The trailer for his Knives Out is out, if anyone cares.

I think it’s suppose to be clever, witty, stylish, darkly comedic, and irreverent— traits I would never associate with Rian since he’s so unsuccessful at pulling any of these characteristics off. But then again, the always ferocious Toni Colette is in this, so maybe he just might be able to pull it off… But then again— TLJ.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    The trailer for his Knives Out is out, if anyone cares.

I think it’s suppose to be clever, witty, stylish, darkly comedic, and irreverent— traits I would never associate with Rian since he’s so unsuccessful at pulling any of these characteristics off. But then again, the always ferocious Toni Colette is in this, so maybe he just might be able to pull it off… But then again— TLJ.
    I've never been so disinterested in an upcoming movie that's starring so many actors and actresses I like. Any one cast member could usually get me in a theater, but then again— TLJ.

Looper and The Last Jedi were great! Definitely interested in seeing Knives Out, especially considering all the talent that is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by ozzfan84 View Post
    I've never been so disinterested in an upcoming movie that's starring so many actors and actresses I like. Any one cast member could usually get me in a theater, but then again— TLJ.
    If Knives Out works out for him, then good for him. Then hopefully he really will leave SW alone— both his treatment of the film and his attitude of the criticism is the epitome of juvenile toxicity, and he’s become a meme of a petulant, bratty middle-age man. (He really should take a clue from George who’s genuinely gentlemanly with his "If this doesn’t work, I’ll take the blame…” maturity.) On a more positive note about Rian, I’ll always maintain TLJ works as a SW-parody/farce at best. (But in no way would I sit through it ever again straight… )

Glad to see that Bob has called off this nonsense direction of The Sequel, and thus a more classic and timeless redirection that’s truer to the spirit of SW is being explored— or in this case, expanded on: The Mandalorian and Cassian (and the return of CW series) are strong indication of returning to SW’s timeless roots— but hopefully not lazily recycling it as this Sequel has done. And hopefully they're done with the tell and don’t show “strong this’ and “strong that” identity politics and will concentrate on just well-developed characters in a “strong” story.

Post-Sequel, I feel they might just no longer take SW for granted and slap the brand on any subpar generic product to be on-trend, and are willing to put in the effort again.

As I've said before, while he may or may not have been right for Star Wars. Especially not something dealing with or connected to OT characters, as far as I'm concerned. That said, he might be okay for something different in that Universe, heck based on TLJ he could have possibly made a decent Vong interpretation. lol

After all i thought Looper was alright, so he had the potential for something. And he may have it for Knives out.

Once I've had time to forget his transgression on Luke, and most of EP8. I think he could do okay for some weird spin-off that I'm not emotionally invested in. Because if he does wind up ruining another SW movie, at least he wouldn't have ruined any of my favorite or childhood characters.
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

^^^ He was never right for SW; I mean, just on a purely superficial level— tuxedos in a SW film..??? Horseracing/Muppet in literal nun’s habits…??? And a stereotypical nerd who looks like she should be in Ghostbusters..??? He lacks visual flare, and that should have been a warning sigh. I’ve never seen anything of his and he may very well be a competent director in another genre. But after TLJ— along with his obnoxious behaviour (and that voice…) on full display, I’m not interested in seeing anything he has to offer. I have to suffer enough arrogant, obnoxious, bratty people lackingd talent in my professional life, I don’t need to willingly put up with them when it comes to SW.

One of the most distinct, original and interesting director is Yorgos Lanthimos. Every single one of his film, with the exception of his first only because it’s tooon the nose in its literary adaption for my preference, has been building from strength to strength. But I’d never want to see him take on SW: that combo would be a disaster of unimagined magnitude.

But someone like Jeremy Saulnier, I can see him take on SW successfully. Especially now with the seemingly more adult direction with The Mandalorian and Cassian, Jeremy would be a potentially ideal candidate; with his seedier, grittier feel for tone that’s akin to classic Westerns set in modern times, and his leanings towards moodier, outcast-type anti-heroes. He would need to streamline his sensibility when it comes to a more consumer product like SW, but he’s very much like Gareth in that he avoids trends and would keep to a timeless tone for SW.

the thing that bothered me most was the treatment of Luke "I Came Here To Die" Skywalker.
    Luke is supposed to be the epitome of all "Hope" -- so what's the opposite of Hope..? suicide.
    and despair.

Rian basically just held a mirror up to Luke's character and gave us "Anti-Luke", for the sake of it.
    that's not "Clever". NO thought went into this.

it was like watching "Bizarro" Superman -- (after paying good money to see Christopher Reeve).
    it was a Bait&Switch -- sold to us by a mischievous leprechaun, who THOUGHT he was being "Clever".

Last edited by Cobalt60; 07-11-2019 at 12:46 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Page 53 of 55 FirstFirst ... 3435152535455 LastLast