Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Hot Wheels Elite: let's give them a thread of their own!

Star Wars Hot Wheels Elite: let's give them a thread of their own!

I know that this line is briefly discussed in the Hot Wheels Thread already, but as that thread originally dealt with the small scale models only, I felt that the Elite line is a bit lost there. And boy, these ships don't deserve being lost. In fact, I hope to get some deserved attention to the line, which may help it to continue.

I am not a professional when it comes to models. I do not own an EFX or MR model, but I got the full line from DeAgostini (still soo underrated!), all Micro Machines, some Hot Wheels, the full Disney DieCast assortment, I built some Bandai kits and more. So I would at least say that I can judge models within a cheap to medium price range.

To wrap it up: since a few years, the Hot Wheels Elite line offers DieCast products from various licenses. James Bond, Batman, Ghostbusters, Back to the future and more got nice, often 1:18 scaled collector models with a focus on: cars, of course. This year, the Elite line started with Star Wars. I was a bit shocked about the original price. However, after getting the first model rather cheap (41 USD at Amazon.com right now), I was really positively surprised.

In the meantime, I got the Tie Fighter (only 25 USD at Amazon at that time) and the X-Wing (59 USD at Amazon at that time). I imported them, as it was still cheaper than the 79 Euro upwards per model here in Germany.

The Millennium Falcon has a great, detailed mold, nice paintjob, good (mostly printed, not painted) weathering, nice details with the magnet-attachable antennas and landing gear, good flight stand, nice box. And: no screw holes! Still not sure if this should cost 100 , but for the price I paid, this is more than awesome.

The X-Wing Starfighter Red Five is well done too. There are some plastic parts which look a bit brighter than the metal parts and maybe could have been done better, and: this one has screw holes inside the wings. However, the weathering and detail is again really well done. You can open the canopy and see a tiny pilot as well. And again, this one has various exchangeable parts like landing gear, covers and more. The wings open with a nice mechanism, and you can get it into a good, dynamic pose with the simple, yet efficient flight stand.

The Tie Fighter is a more simple structure, but again the color scheme and the weathering is awesome. You can open the lid, and again a tiny pilot is inside. The window and the cover for the flight stand are again attached with magnet and can be exchanged / taken off. Most of the model is made of DieCast, however parts of the wings are plastic. This was sold here for 89 Euro and I must say that this would be too expensive for a model of that scale and detail. However, while 25 USD was supercheap, 50-60 / USD would be justified from my experience and evaluation.

As you notice, the ships are not to scale. Sometimes they are advertised as "1:18" which they are certainly not. In fact, the scale varies from model to model, with the Tie and X-Wing being close to each other.

While the Falcon is the best model from this line, the other 2 are well done as well. I am really looking forward for more ships from the Elite Series. I can only imagine what Hot Wheels could do with that line, and I really hope it will continues. There were more ships anounced in the past, but I did not see any prototypes to keep my hopes high.

I got the Tie Fighter for the same deal on Amazon. It looks really great, except the serial # stamped on the outside bottom of the wing.

The Falcon I picked up last week at Tuesday Morning for $29. It is much better than what I expected. I love the magnetic accessories, especially the landing gears. I love the Disney die cast Falcon, but the landing gears barely stay up.
    "May the Funk be with You!"

My brother happened to pick the Falcon up for his collection recently, so I didn't really bother picking up one for myself. I must say though I'm impressed with the detail and the weight. Only other vehicle I'm looking forward to is the Y-wing.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

Quote Originally Posted by Deak_Starkiller View Post
    My brother happened to pick the Falcon up for his collection recently, so I didn't really bother picking up one for myself. I must say though I'm impressed with the detail and the weight. Only other vehicle I'm looking forward to is the Y-wing.
    So far, EVERYONE I've been showing this thing has been impressed.

Was a Y-Wing ever anounced? There are so many possibilities in that line... As they are not to scale, they could even thing about a Nebulon B, Star Destroyer, Mon Calamari Cruiser, ...

Quote Originally Posted by StraightEdgeLuke View Post
    Was a Y-Wing ever anounced?
    No, not to my knowledge, but a Y-wing would be a definite buy for me. My only nitpick about the X-wing is that the cockpit opening isn't accurate to the film (unlike Action Fleet X-wing). But the Action Fleet Y-wing didn't get it right either, nor did Kenner/Hasbro but that was simply for spacing concerns. Maybe a HW Elite Y-wing will get around that. That's just me, wanting to display my fighters in that manner. A ladder accessory wouldn't hurt either.

If capital ships do get put on the table, the Tantive IV is at the top of the list.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

What is the size of the TIE Fighter?
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    What is the size of the TIE Fighter?
    Sergiu, the size of all is rather small. Still: great models!

See a review (not mine) here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgyEC1Ev9mE

I have the Millennium Falcon and it’s a worth addition to my collection.

I would definitely pick up a Solo version.

Quote Originally Posted by StraightEdgeLuke View Post
    Sergiu, the size of all is rather small. Still: great models!

See a review (not mine) here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgyEC1Ev9mE
    Thanks !
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

Thanks for this thread SEL, I've been watching these with interest as the prices start to come down. From what I've seen of them up close, they're very nice quality but I still think they're only worth the same as similr lines such as Dark Horse Halo or Mass Effect ships. I'd still like to get at least one for a representation of the line, probably one of the X-Wings. I'd love a Y-Wing to come out but I don't know how well they're selling and it took an age to get these released. I echo Rodders words, I'd love a Kessel Run MF too
    formerly Boris :shame:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast