Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: The Future of Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    "don't drink the kool-aid" isn't my creation, its a common cultural reference to Jonestown I believe.
    it basically means "always question the status quo" and/or "don't follow along". that kind of thing.

Kennedy presents men and women as 2 separate entities -- she presents women as a disenfranchised minority group in need of reverse discrimination.
    problem: the only thing 'women' have in common (in the context of being a disenfranchised social group) IS oppression at the hands of men -- this is implied.

it's the same with the fabricated race war that's been going on in america for the last few years
    (see: CNN @ Ferguson Missouri -- they way the media "stoked" THAT fire was ALSO shameful -- this was "social justice war-profiteering").

the thing you might be missing: as a "member of the entertainment community" her primary concern is to make bank from all this.
    this is how her industry gauges "success" -- if she wants to be a "Powerful Woman" in this Industry then her rhetoric must generate profit.
    (and Yes "rivalries" are GREAT for sports teams. a healthy Rivalry between 2 cities (fueled by rhetoric in the media) can generate all kinds of profits).

method: she riles up disenfranchised social groups (to make them spend money) by intentionally highlighting social injustices which may or may not exist anymore.
    this increases social discord (not heals it).

specifically: she has created a MYTH that star wars is a male-centric misogynistic product of the sexist-seventies, which can ONLY be corrected by HER.

reality check: SW'77 gave us the template "strong female lead" which was used to create COUNTLESS "strong female leads" -- from Ripley in Alien to Sarah Connor in T2 to Hit Girl & Lara Croft -- EVERY "Strong female character" in the last 40 years owes a direct lineage to Princess Leia (and George Lucas who created her).

conclusion: KK is misrepresenting the truth in order to create social injustice out of thin air. (like Sylvester McMonkey McBean). she is not a social justice warrior. she is not a social justice peacekeeper. she is a social justice war monger, and a social justice war "profiteer" <-- THIS is how her industry gauges success.
    I'm not missing that Kennedy's job is to make money. I get that. Though I'd question how profitable her "war mongering" has been.

I (want to) believe that her "reverse discrimination" is done to improve opportunities for women and minorities in the industry, and to create more inclusive media within her sphere of influence, though I'm open to being convinced otherwise.

What I am trying to better understand is the resentment towards adressing the "imbalance". If the opression is inappropriately implied, or the social injustices do not exist, then sure. But if the opression is real, and the social injustices do exist then shouldn't some social discord be expected as that is addressed? I'd be pretty angry if I knew I was institutionally disadvantaged, and I might be pretty defensive if I had been institutionally protected but that was now being threatened.

Is that the source of the resentment? Or does the resentment come from the belief that there is no situation to correct?

You won't believe it... but I've never read McMonkeybean.

I want to get into "strong" female character vs "masculine" female character too, but it can wait.
    Wanted to buy (or trade for): Toynami Thundarr the Barbarian: Thundarr, Ariel and Ookla (all three, loose and complete or carded, but figures in NM/M condition). PM me.

No offense to any participants in this tirade. But if this is the future of Star Wars, then I'm very sad this is what it's come to.
    I miss the simple arguments over the PT, good and bad. Or who shot first. lol

well if we're staying 'on topic' then I think the future of star wars will be more "social-justice-war-profiteering" as TPTB seek to increase their sales by continuing to divide the fanbase along demographic lines ((black v white, male v female, OT-fans v ST-fans)) because in this game EVERYONE loves a good "grudge match" between 2 classic RIVALS -- it gets people spending money.

(meanwhile the constant brainwash of "us v them" being pushed upon the gullible masses by Our Media Overlords serves to undermine the fragile balance of society by fueling rifts between the races (and/or genders) resulting in real world displays of hatred like Ferguson Missouri (and/or Pizzagate) as the Media "cashes in" on these events with the best ratings in decades -- "That's Entertainment!")

[/on topic]
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 10-08-2018 at 01:52 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    third option: Han Shot Only.

(with SW its never so black and white) (see what I did there..?) LOL

cheers.
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 10-08-2018 at 01:58 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

(just as the rhetoric of NFL owners like Mark Cuban is just a ploy sell football tickets to HIS team's fans in a 'grudge-match', the rhetoric of KK is a ploy to sell movie tickets to HER team in the same way -- she's trying to get a grudge-match going by pitting males-aganst-females in a ploy to sell MORE tickets to BOTH sides -- because everyone LOVES a good grudge-match).
    I'm going to politely correct you here (because I generally like everything you post) before somebody else rudely corrects you:

Mark Cuban owns the Dallas Mavericks of the NBA (basketball)
    Perhaps you were thinking of Jerry Jones, who owns the Dallas Cowboys of the NFL (football)

But otherwise, GREAT job as always

d'oh! you're right. my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    No offense to any participants in this tirade. But if this is the future of Star Wars, then I'm very sad this is what it's come to.
    Tirade? I don't know if you are referring to the recent exchange between Cobalt and myself, but that's one of the most civil discussions I've been involved with around Disney and Star Wars on these boards.
    Wanted to buy (or trade for): Toynami Thundarr the Barbarian: Thundarr, Ariel and Ookla (all three, loose and complete or carded, but figures in NM/M condition). PM me.

third option: Han Shot Only.

Well, I'm definitely with you on that... though I would have phrased it, "Greedo never shot".

I've always maintained that even if someone dislikes the direction Disney is taking Star Wars, we always have the OT, or the PT, or whatever people are into. If we are suggesting that Disney should cater to all of its fans, then release the pre-Special Edition OT on Blu Ray already! (I realise that is more of Lucas gripe than a Disney gripe, but they could've done it already if they wanted to. That was my biggest thing with the Fox deal; everyone else was so excited about the X-Men and Fantastic Four joining the MCU, but I just want my official original Original Trilogy in hi def!)

Oh yeah we are definitely getting OT non special edition. Probably only available in a big $200+ limited edition box set but they will release it.

Hell probably even re release it in theaters just to get more cash but I'm ok with that.

But that won't be till the ST is done
    Last edited by Vicarious_Fan; 10-08-2018 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious_Fan View Post
    Oh yeah we are definitely getting OT non special edition. Probably only available in a big $200+ limited edition box set but they will release it.

Hell probably even re release it in theaters just to get more cash but I'm ok with that.

But that won't be till the ST is done
    Can you imagine the cheer in a theatre when Greedo doesn't shoot?!

I don't mind an overpriced boxset, I don't mind waiting. I just want it to happen.

I would be disappointed if it was only available on the streaming service.
    Last edited by Otter; 10-08-2018 at 10:09 PM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789