Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New MEGO retro figures

Saw these the other day at Target. Brought back a lot of memories, I was big into MEGO back in the 70's, before Star Wars. I had a ton of them...Super Heroes, POTA, Star Trek, Action Jackson. I even had the first issue Batman and Robin with removable masks. Sadly not many survived. I still have my Spider Man though, in pretty good shape. My mom filled in the webbing on his head with a fine tipped permanent marker, since it wasn't painted. Anyway, it was cool to see these, but I just couldn't bite on any of them. Not sure why, just wasn't interested in any of the characters.
    Feedback thread
    Don't need a somewhat newer jocular since the older legacy collection hypnosis arena two pack jocular is still great and thing is that do all attack of the Clones Jedi figures really need jedi robes?

I was born in the early '70's, so do remember having some Mego Star Trek & Superhero figures back in the late '70's, notably Klingon, Uhura, Spider-man, Incredible Hulk, and Superman. Have no idea where they are now.

IIRC, Mego toys started fading out of popularity in the early '80's - probably because Star Wars, G.I. Joe: ARAH, and other similar toys (in a smaller scale) started getting much more prevalent. Plus, there weren't a lot of vehicles/playsets to go along with these larger Mego figures, so the play value was limited.

However, these have made a come-back since the 200X's. I regret not getting some of the Classic ST figures when they were out with the retro packaging (that looked very similar to the original packaging from the 1970's).

That being said, for some reason I wasn't too interested in these latest offerings - not a big fan of the TV show figures.

Though - the ST figures were not bad - especially the Mirror, Mirror two-pack. However, I just can't get interested enough to buy these. If there were more aliens in the line, I would definitely get a Romulan, Gorn, Salt-Vampire, etc. - however, I would be surprised if the line lasted that long....I just can't see these figures continuing beyond this initial wave.
    Last edited by ThallJoben; 08-24-2018 at 11:55 AM.

last month I was at Target and I saw some weird new MEGO figures. One of them was a bad looking Peg from Married with Children, Her accessory was a box of chocolates or whatever her snack was in the show,

You don't say
    Feedback thread
    Don't need a somewhat newer jocular since the older legacy collection hypnosis arena two pack jocular is still great and thing is that do all attack of the Clones Jedi figures really need jedi robes?

Quote Originally Posted by R1G4R3PO View Post
    But alas 12-16 years ago, I managed to re-collect most of them, a few I had to customize new outfits like Conan's, Supergirl's outfit and Isis' dress plus a whole slew of never made before characters...Flash, Daredevil, King Pin, Scorpion, Wolverine, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Green Lantern, Two face.. just to name a few

here's my custom megos...old school outfits, except punisher, more late 90's -ish, who's hiding in the back.
    Should have parts for Ghost Rider, been holding off making him for some reason
    Last edited by R1G4R3PO; 08-30-2018 at 07:56 PM.

I was excited to see the Norm figure with Cliff Clavin pictured on the back. I need another John Ratzenberger figure. The pegs aren't as full as they were when my local Target first put these out so they seem to be selling, albeit slowly. Let's hope the line is strong enough to continue. I rarely buy figures unless I know I can get a complete set of the characters I want. The chances that the line would continue long enough to complete the Brady Bunch or Star Trek crew seem pretty slim.
    My Feedback

I tried learning a foreign language by watching Star Wars in Spanish on DVD. I started with Phantom Menace, and quit after "Me Llamo Jar Jar Binks"

Though I know I said I wasn't planning on doing this, I decided to give in to nostalgia & finally picked up the new Mego Classic Trek Chekov & "Mirror Mirror" Kirk/Spock two-pack. Great toys! These were never done in the original '70's line (well, Kirk & Spock were - but not in these outfits) - but the packaging & look of the figures are similar to what they would have looked like if they came out back in the day. Very cool that they're going back & "filling in the holes" re: these figures.

I can't find Sulu, but it may be sold out @ my particular Target. Though, I can always get it online.

Re: these new Mego ST figures, it's worth noting that in addition to the possibly forthcoming Gorn & Romulan Commander (as teased on the Sulu card front), on the Chekov card front a Captain Kirk & Mr. Spock are teased - in their regular outfits from the show. So, hopefully we'll be getting at least these 4 new ST Classic figures down the road.

Looking forward to the Gorn to pair with Kirk. Just a bit bummed we didn't get the female Romulan Commander to pair with Spock. Oh well, but that's OK....Mark Lenard gave a solid performance in "Balance Of Terror", one of my high-ranking favorite episodes in my book.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

These finally hit my local Target. They're all a lot better looking in person. Picked up Sulu, Chekov and Dracula.

While it is nice to see MEGO dolls of a few characters from tv shows like George Wendt aka Norm of Cheers and Peggy from Married With Children, the thing is that the MEGO thing was before my time. I was born in 1980 anyway.

So why bother wasting money on buying these newer versions of MEGO dolls based on late 1980s early 1990s tv shows anyway? For older fans who were old enough when MEGO was around in the 1970s?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast