Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SDCC Thrawn Alliances Book

Quote Originally Posted by thorskywalker View Post
    oh man!!!!! You have not read the Thrawn Trilogy? That is -in my humble opinion- the BEST piece of Literature EVER written in the context of Star Wars. Nothing can ever come close to it.. You should really start immediately!
    So I've heard.
    "I mean, really, how many times will you look under Jabba's manboobs?" - bkusna

Black Series 6" Wish List: Aemon Gremm, Moff Jerjerrod, Death Star Gunner, Ponda Baba, Dr. Evazan.

Quote Originally Posted by thorskywalker View Post
    oh man!!!!! You have not read the Thrawn Trilogy? That is -in my humble opinion- the BEST piece of Literature EVER written in the context of Star Wars. Nothing can ever come close to it.. You should really start immediately!
    Yeah, I agree pretty good stuff here. Good characters, good story, good plot, etc.
    Western PA contact www.pswcs.com
    You are a meat head, dead from the neck up....a meathad.-Archie Bunker

Thrawn 2 is next up on my Audible listen list after partaking in a non-fiction, palette cleanser. (The Templers, by Dan Jones)

In the last month recently finished the following two Star Wars audiobooks (For the record, I've listened to most of them):

Ashoka: Decent for its' relatively narrow story scope and somewhat lightweight material. Treads a very familiar trope of outsider who comes in to help the downtrodden, but Rebel cartoon fans will like how it sets up the Bail Organa--Fulcrum connection. The best bonus is that you get Ashley doing the voice & that's nearly worth 1 extra star in itself. Enjoyed this one more than Rebel Rising, which it shares obvious similarities to. Rating this one 3.5/5 stars.

Last Shot: Disappointing, given the characters and the timeline. Overall this was strangely simultaneously both confusing and boring. It has you jumping around 3-4(!) different timelines making it a pain the behind to keep track of the "storyline" while doing anything else but paying 100% attention. If you want a summation, this is basically a Dr. Who episode involving the Daleks. All that was missing were droids yelling, "Exterminate! Exterminate!" Not-quite saving grace award goes to Marc Thompson whose voice impersonation is golden as both Han & Lando. IMO, he's recently overtaken Johnathan Davis as best SW narrator, excited to have him back for Thrawn 2. "Yesssss, perhapsss." (Listeners of first Thrawn book will get that.) The other 2 narrators on Last Shot are nothing special and seem to be there merely to check Disney Diversity Boxes. Overall: 2.5/5 stars.
    Last edited by MrPickles; 08-15-2018 at 02:16 PM.
    "Only now, at the end, do you understand."

Thank you very much for the review.. For some reason I kind of lost my apetite since Disney took over anyway.. I couldn't decide whether to read or not only because it was written by Zahn, who happens to be my hero of all time when it comes to SW Literature.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPickles View Post
    Thrawn 2 is next up on my Audible listen list after partaking in a non-fiction, palette cleanser. (The Templers, by Dan Jones)

In the last month recently finished the following two Star Wars audiobooks (For the record, I've listened to most of them):

Ashoka: Decent for its' relatively narrow story scope and somewhat lightweight material. Treads a very familiar trope of outsider who comes in to help the downtrodden, but Rebel cartoon fans will like how it sets up the Bail Organa--Fulcrum connection. The best bonus is that you get Ashley doing the voice & that's nearly worth 1 extra star in itself. Enjoyed this one more than Rebel Rising, which it shares obvious similarities to. Rating this one 3.5/5 stars.

Last Shot: Disappointing, given the characters and the timeline. Overall this was strangely simultaneously both confusing and boring. It has you jumping around 3-4(!) different timelines making it a pain the behind to keep track of the "storyline" while doing anything else but paying 100% attention. If you want a summation, this is basically a Dr. Who episode involving the Daleks. All that was missing were droids yelling, "Exterminate! Exterminate!" Not-quite saving grace award goes to Marc Thompson whose voice impersonation is golden as both Han & Lando. IMO, he's recently overtaken Johnathan Davis as best SW narrator, excited to have him back for Thrawn 2. "Yesssss, perhapsss." (Listeners of first Thrawn book will get that.) The other 2 narrators on Last Shot are nothing special and seem to be there merely to check Disney Diversity Boxes. Overall: 2.5/5 stars.
    But...it is written if the Evil Spirit arms the Tiger with claws, Brahman provided wings for the Dove...Thus spoke the Super Guru

Thrawn 2 (Audio) Mini-spoiler-free Review: "Now THIS is Podrac..."...ur....no, but it is a good audiobook. Like 'Last Shot', it jumps around (2 main) different timelines; (Well, technically there's a 3rd one for a little while until the Padme timeline merges) Clone Wars era (post Ashoka walk-out) with Anakin/younger Thrawn, and then maybe 15 years later with Vader/Grand Moff Thrawn sometime just after the events of Rebels Season 3.

What's not to like?! You got all the good elements here: Author Zahn, Vader, Thrawn, Emperor cameo, Mysterious Outer-rim threat, Force-stuff, several game-changing new technologies, Thrawn strategic prowess and Vader kickin' A-. It's a solid dual-story with potentially long-lasting galactic consequences & narrator Marc Thompson once again does a stand-up job. And....maybe coolest of all, you have the introduction of the planet Batuu that's gonna be the new Disneyland(world) park location, Black Spire Outpost! Dontcha wanna know the backstory of this backwater location before you go see it in-person?! Of course you do.

I really don't even want to talk about the Storyline stuff in the book yet. Just don't feel I can w/out spoilers yet. So, let's give it a couple more months first. I will say this though.... I don't know what the future holds, but there's some stuff in this book that I think could hold the key to some VERY important elements that could happen post-Episode IX. We're talkin' on the level of Legend's Yuuzhan Vong type of set-up here. And that's all I'll say. Review: 4.5/5 Stars If you don't wanna read/listen to this SW book, then this type of stuff clearly isn't your tea.
    "Only now, at the end, do you understand."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12