Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: eFX Darth Vader Helmet - Ashes of the Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    the melted vader helmet had no actual 'role' in TFA; it was only there to provide a visual manifestation of the over-arcing theme of the ST (which I do not agree with): "let the past die; kill it if you have to".

to me, personally, the melted helmet represents a visual symbolization of the new franchise trying very hard to "burn" a bridge to the past.. to "END" the OT-dominance of the SW franchise (because Kathleen Kennedy "owes us nothing" in her own words).

the melted helmet was meant to drive the point home, with a single visual image -- "star wars is dead. long live star wars" -- (like the crowning of a new british monarch).

out with the old; in with the new.

but SW was nowhere near a natural 'death', so instead, the producers first had to KILL IT. (or 'murder' it, as the case may be). I feel this was unnecessary.

--> rather than honoring the 40-year legacy of SW.. the ST has made a conscious effort to "kill it" and replace it with something "new".. something infused with KK's values instead of GL's.

we have been told: there was something WRONG with the original SW (and we should never have loved it) -- it was misogynist, and dated, and in dire need of being "updated" with modern/liberal values.

((we have been told: the New Heroes are the "future of SW", but when you get right down to it: the very next time we see those New Heroes on screen, will be the LAST time we see the New Heroes on screen therefore, they CANNOT be the "future" of anything it's not possible)).

I feel it was a mistake to "kill the past" in this way ; I think the melted helmet represents a misguided path, which "KK&co." should never have taken.

I do not agree with the ST theme of "kill the past" and therefore I have no interest in owning this visual manifestation of that theme.

when it comes to ST props, I would rather own a Kylo Ren helmet than a Melted Vader. (@KK: what did the OT ever do to YOU? why do you hate it so much? sheesh).
    The irony out of all of this is that it was George who hired Kathy Kennedy. :/
    ANH, the best movie ever - ESB, the best SW movie ever
    My feedback

KK produced Jurassic Park #3. 'nuff said.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    the over-arcing theme of the ST (which I do not agree with): "let the past die; kill it if you have to”
    I don’t want to start yet another massive debate about TLJ or the ST, but I’m so tired of seeing this mantra repeated. Doesn’t anyone realize the movie makes it very clear Kylo Ren is WRONG? Yes he tries to kill the past (in multiple ways) but he’s the VILLAIN.

It’s like saying Vader’s idea to turn Luke to the Dark side, kill the emperor, and rule the Galaxy with an iron fisted father-son team up is the theme of the OT.

The ST has many faults, but this idea that they (Lucasfilm, KK, Disney, etc.) are embracing “kill the past” as the message they want delivered is preposterously misguided. Heck, if anything, TFA (and even TLJ in many ways) hold on to and embrace the past TOO much by repeating/rehashing so many things from the OT.

I think the helmet looks cool. It’s not something I personally want in my collection (very happy with my non-melted ANH Vader PCR), but I can totally see this being a really cool display.
    Last edited by canofhumdingers; 08-04-2018 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by canofhumdingers View Post
    I don’t want to start yet another massive debate about TLJ or the ST, but I’m so tired of seeing this mantra repeated. Doesn’t anyone realize the movie makes it very clear Kylo Ren is WRONG? Yes he tries to kill the past (in multiple ways) but he’s the VILLAIN.

It’s like saying Vader’s idea to turn Luke to the Dark side, kill the emperor, and rule the Galaxy with an iron fisted father-son team up is the theme of the OT.

The ST has many faults, but this idea that they (Lucasfilm, KK, Disney, etc.) are embracing “kill the past” as the message they want delivered is preposterously misguided. Heck, if anything, TFA (and even TLJ in many ways) hold on to and embrace the past TOO much by repeating/rehashing so many things from the OT.

I think the helmet looks cool. It’s not something I personally want in my collection (very happy with my non-melted ANH Vader PCR), but I can totally see this being a really cool display.
    Totally agree on several points. From one in the OT era of original fans, I thought GL had nearly killed Star Wars after the triumphant ESB, followed up by the much weaker ROTJ. Ewoks defeat the Empire, really? We original fans lived a very long drought between the OT and the PT, so we had more to regret after the over simplified end of the Empire due to the Ewoks in the ROTJ.

Concerning the melted Vader helmet, I think it is kind of cool as more of a relic from Vader's funeral pyre in ROTJ. Seeing it in flames at the end of ROTJ is how I remember it, so it kind of ties the two together. I won't pay crazy money for it, but normal helmet prices in the $500 range would work for me.
    Star Wars collector since 1977.
    Life or Death? Star Wars collecting is much more serious than that!
    My partial collection

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123