Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by Utinniii View Post
    Any guesses as to who the "American" is? (Aside from the very obvious choice)
    I read a theory that it's Brenner. It goes that he somehow gets into the Upside Down to escape the Demagorgen and somehow the Soviets find him while conducting their own experiments to access this other dimension. In exchange for his life he has been helping their research.

As for this season I really enjoyed it. Tough to say how I would rank each season but I'll do a re-watch to help digest it.
    Black Series Wish List: Destroyer Droid, Cad Bane, TPM Obi-Wan, X-Wing Pilot Wedge Antilles, Count Dooku, Bodhi Rook

It’s safe to conclude Hopper didn’t “die”. He’s one of the consistently complex, unshakable characters in the show: A show that’s filled with solid characters, so that’s saying a lot for Hopper/Harbour. But the revelation that there’s an imprisoned “American” is meant to instantly give the impression it’s him— although it could very well be Brenner. It’s not my preference, since— how does one survive an attack by that monster??? But this duo knows how to write and direct, and will likely pull it off, even revealing more about Brenner’s (supernatural) capabilities than previously shown. It’ll be fun.

What’s more intriguing— and the stronger cliffhanger of Season 3 is, that the Soviet also succeeded in opening the portal. And if the show, at least part of it will take place in The Soviet Union, then that’s a great welcome since we’re likely spared the pop culture trappings that Season 3 was just a tad (too much) reliant on. At least get out of Hawkins (but not with the punky crew of Season 2, please)…

I’d place this Season tied with Season 2 (the punky crew being the weakest link that dragged down that Season. And the 80s-pop culture overload being the weakest link for Season 3), with Season 1 still the best.
    Last edited by farmer; 07-15-2019 at 12:55 PM.

I'd assumed it was Hopper too, but I do agree...it does seem almost too blatantly obvious. Truthfully, I was like..."Wait...who's Brenner?" I had to look it up. I def. know the character of course, I just forgot the name. While I do think Season 3 is the weakest over-all, my least favorite episode (and apparently pretty much everyones) is the punk crew episode in Season 2. By far! It just didn't mesh. At all! Which I heard is exactly why it's not remotely mentioned or those characters explored in Season 3. Apparently the Duffers are aware that episode was NOT received well. Season 1 is def. still the best of, but I do think Season 2 (outside of that one episode) is nearly equal. I love the Aliens parallels, one of my all-time favorite films.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 07-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Yeah, I preferred season 2 a bit more (and actually liked the punky crew!) and felt that El was not as strong of a character as she was in 2. It's like they said let's make her a typical teenager instead of the arc she was on in the previous 2 seasons.
    Please read my version of the Star Wars prequels and let me know what you think!

Check out the Rebelscum Custom Dioramas Index!

So Season 3 of Stranger Things is supposed to take place during the summer of 1984?

Then whats up with everyone seeing Back to the Future at the theater? the movie came out in 1985.

Duffer Brothers messed up big time

This season takes place in ‘85.

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    While I do think Season 3 is the weakest over-all, my least favorite episode (and apparently pretty much everyones) is the punk crew episode in Season 2. By far! It just didn't mesh. At all! Which I heard is exactly why it's not remotely mentioned or those characters explored in Season 3. Apparently the Duffers are aware that episode was NOT received well.
    Writers/directors who listen to the criticisms of the show, and take it in a constructive manner for the better of their work…??? Rather than antagonize and mock the fandom. Wow— what a great, mature attitude… Who’d have thunk?!?!?

I just took it as the punky kids being Eleven trying out a new clique— as many at that age go through. You know the ones— and we’ve all seen it happen in school: When you first meet them they’re the polite, quiet introverted girls, still dressing like their mums do all their shopping; the next year they come back from summer as faux-punk cuz they went to an Avril Lavigne performance at the mall; then the next year they dress like they’re from The Hills cuz they spent the summer in Calabasas… I don’t mind seeing El try all these different attitudes since she is a teen girl, and she’s shown the full spectrum of behaviour; from innocence (Season 1), to arrogant and angsty (Season 2), to her more mainstream teenybopper phase in Season 3. Wonderful characterization.

(There’s a sheepishly clever scene in Season 2, with Jonathan trying to talk to a Goth girl in full Siouxsie Sioux facepaint at a house party, and asks if she’s into KISS LOL …It’s these little flourishes in details that gives the show that extra boost of charm.)
    Last edited by farmer; 07-15-2019 at 09:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Writers/directors who listen to the criticisms of the show, and take it in a constructive manner for the better of their work…??? Rather than antagonize and mock the fandom. Wow— what a great, mature attitude… Who’d have thunk?!?!?

I just took it as the punky kids being Eleven trying out a new clique— as many at that age go through. You know the ones— and we’ve all seen it happen in school: When you first meet them they’re the polite, quiet introverted girls, still dressing like their mums do all their shopping; the next year they come back from summer as faux-punk cuz they went to an Avril Lavigne performance at the mall; then the next year they dress like they’re from The Hills cuz they spent the summer in Calabasas… I don’t mind seeing El try all these different attitudes since she is a teen girl, and she’s shown the full spectrum of behaviour; from innocence (Season 1), to arrogant and angsty (Season 2), to her more mainstream teenybopper phase in Season 3. Wonderful characterization.

(There’s a sheepishly clever scene in Season 2, with Jonathan trying to talk to a Goth girl in full Siouxsie Sioux facepaint at a house party, and asks if she’s into KISS LOL …It’s these little flourishes in details that gives the show that extra boost of charm.)
    Yes The_Chosen_1 is spot on, it does say it takes place in 1985, so the Back to the Future viewing is accurate. But sometimes those details are easy to miss, so I get it. Plus I'll be honest though, I'm not a total stickler for like the reference has to be SPOT ON accurate to the actual time. As long as it's close, I can let it slide. It's not the point of the story, by any means.

But yes, Farmer, totally agree that Eleven's growth makes sense as far as a teenage girls development. I can let not pin-point accurate 80's pop culture reference slip, but I can't let character stuff go. I think they nailed it pretty well. I myself and likely most of use went through a sort of identity crisis situation through those years. Heck I even abandoned Star Wars and comics for a time because I was an "adult," that's "kids stuff," right? I think every kid goes through that. So it seemed really genuine to me in how it was written, even if I didn't much care for the punk crew.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Quote Originally Posted by patrickdurfee View Post
    So Season 3 of Stranger Things is supposed to take place during the summer of 1984?

Then whats up with everyone seeing Back to the Future at the theater? the movie came out in 1985.

Duffer Brothers messed up big time
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Chosen_1 View Post
    This season takes place in ‘85.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Quote Originally Posted by MysterioMaximus View Post
    But yes, Farmer, totally agree that Eleven's growth makes sense as far as a teenage girls development. I can let not pin-point accurate 80's pop culture reference slip, but I can't let character stuff go. I think they nailed it pretty well. I myself and likely most of use went through a sort of identity crisis situation through those years. Heck I even abandoned Star Wars and comics for a time because I was an "adult," that's "kids stuff," right? I think every kid goes through that. So it seemed really genuine to me in how it was written, even if I didn't much care for the punk crew.
    Getting minor details wrong— most notably songs that were released a year or so later than the year that they’re supposed to be from, is just a minor nitpick, and doesn’t ruin the show the least. Most, if not all the time, they get their 80s-details spot on. And they definitely go beyond sometimes, so they do know their stuff. (I sort of adore and stan that Dustin is infatuated with Phoebe Cates in 1985 LOL She seems sort of an obscure choice, but that only makes Dustin more real. Although I hope that Suzie isn’t added to the crew in Season 4. She’s already pushing my tolerance level in her very limited appearance.)

You know, JJ’s Super 8 sort of had that charm in the 1st Act… The kids, and admittedly JJ’s direction, were solid, initially. But post-train crash… it devolved into such a derivative mess, I can’t remember what happened, it was such a shame he couldn’t keep it together (and seems to be a pattern of his…). And as much as Stranger Things bears similarities to Super 8, it supersedes it in every imaginable way, keeping the momentum for nearly 30hrs through a span of 3 Seasons. That’s exhaustively impressive. Hopefully they can keep it going for the next Season. And more importantly at this point, know when to end it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast