Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stranger Things Season 3

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    It’s admittedly a fun Season. A tad too much cutesy fluff that’s too heavily reliant on nostalgia (Dustin’s duet with his GF is cute but just so OTT try-hard moment that it takes me out of the action sett), and not enough of the more intense tone that sold the story of the previous Seasons. And that makes it the weakest Season in terms of its story.

Every 80s-cliche I can think of is thrown in this Season, making it too gimmicky and full-on an 80s-tribute: Apparently even Alexei and Hopper’s “cherry slurpee” fight is ripped off/borrowed from— or an homage to an episode of The Golden Girls… The nostalgic trappings are just too much at times. Hoping that Season 4 will remember its more darker roots and not be so cutesy-fun and reign in the 80s-trope.

(And why is The Cutting Crew’s I just Died In Your Arms Tonight featured in a show set in 1985 when the song was released in 1986???? For a show that’s so reliant on its 80s nostalgia, such a mistake should have been easily corrected. Unless they just didn’t care.)
    I agree with every word. Don't get me wrong, I still greatly enjoyed this season...but it was the weak link for me so far. The 80's pop culture references felt more natural in the first two seasons, organic. This time around, some just felt forced. Like for example, Lucas's Coke commercial (calling it product placement would imply it's at least somewhat subtle like Hopper and co. eating Burger King) or the Neverending Story song. The song totally undercut the seriousness of the scene. Like I said, I would have been fine if it was a LINE of dialogue from the song but...an ENTIRE SPLIT SCREEN BALLAD OF THE ENTIRE SONG?! REALLY?! Prior seasons, they felt like they were inserted into a scene for fun. Now entire scenes feel created just FOR the reference.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 07-10-2019 at 02:40 PM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

^^^ LOL @the blatant product placement… now with added scenes built around the product!

It’s unfortunate that it’s the 80s-tropes that are overriding the story here. Because once the novelty wears off, it’s not that fun anymore. But it really shows what a solid cast, and what a naturally electrifying vibe they all have with one another when they can make such silly gimmicks a fun ride. (Take note Disney when it comes to your SW.)

Now let’s please move on from That 80’s Show come Season 4… (And I'm glad the post-credit sneak peek seems to suggest a return to form for at least one important element of the show, because— this Season’s monster was really… goofy.)

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    ^^^ LOL @the blatant product placement… now with added scenes built around the product!

It’s unfortunate that it’s the 80s-tropes that are overriding the story here. Because once the novelty wears off, it’s not that fun anymore. But it really shows what a solid cast, and what a naturally electrifying vibe they all have with one another when they can make such silly gimmicks a fun ride. (Take note Disney when it comes to your SW.)

Now let’s please move on from That 80’s Show come Season 4… (And I'm glad the post-credit sneak peek seems to suggest a return to form for at least one important element of the show, because— this Season’s monster was really… goofy.)
    Well exactly, like I said...the first two seasons had 80's references that (for me) felt organically inserted into the scenes. Here is just feels like a game of 80's reference Mad Libs. Now granted, some of them absolutely did still work...but this is the first season where I felt some of it also didn't work. It felt like a gimmick.
    Last edited by MysterioMaximus; 07-12-2019 at 12:49 AM.
    'But I don’t want to go among mad people,’ Alice remarked. ‘Oh, you can’t help that,’ said the Cat: ‘We’re all mad here. I’m mad, you’re mad.’ ‘How do you know I’m mad?’ said Alice. ‘You must be,’ said the Cat, ‘or you wouldn’t have come here.’ - Lewis Carroll 'Alice's Adventures in Wonderland'

Loved it, great action, nice mix of comedy. cant wait for the next season. Absolutly nothing wrong for my taste.There was only one tiny thing I was wondering, when Steve and Robin are asking for a job at the videostore, and the guy asks whats Steves favourite movies. Did they really call the first Star Wars movie, A new Hope already in 85 ? I thought this title was attached a bit later

the very first version of SW with "A New Hope" in the title, was released as part of a Double Feature (c/w the Empire Strikes Back 're-release') in 1981.

but most people didn't see it (having already seen the original theatrical releases in 1977 & 1980, it wasn't widely remembered)

the change was cemented into people's minds in 1985 when the original movie was released on VHS.

(for my money, 1985 was the very first time I saw "A New Hope" in the title -- I did not attend the "double feature" re-release in 1981).

so technically, the change happened in 1981. but this was NOT a part of 1980's "pop culture" -- most people still called it "star wars" in 1985
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 07-12-2019 at 09:43 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    the very first version of SW with "A New Hope" in the title, was released as part of a Double Feature (c/w the Empire Strikes Back 're-release') in 1981.

but most people didn't see it (having already seen the original theatrical releases in 1977 & 1980, it wasn't widely remembered)

the change was cemented into people's minds in 1985 when the original movie was released on VHS.

(for my money, 1985 was the very first time I saw "A New Hope" in the title -- I did not attend the "double feature" re-release in 1981).

so technically, the change happened in 1981. but this was NOT a part of 1980's "pop culture" -- most people still called it "star wars" in 1985
    Might be the point though. I mean they're emphasizing two things, the guy is an UBER nerd AND works in a video rental store. If anyone would know, it would be him. But wait...then again...was he the one who said it or did Steve?

^^^ Absolutely. It’s the Butt-Head-looking clerk who asks Steve “Which one? ANH…?… Steve doesn't know/care-- he just says “Star Wars (You know— the one with the teddybears, of course!)”.

The casting director deserves an award for this stellar cast, down to the extras. The Butt-Head-looking clerk at the video store was also working at the arcade in Season 2. He has to come back in Season 4— working at a Toys”R” Us/Comicshop. And Steve— who’s always been this goofy-looking guy trying to act cool, but totally lovable, is just wearing his little sailor costume throughout the entire Season LOL With bigger hair than before. His hair has to get bigger in Season 4...

Steve is totally one of (if not) my favorite characters. A lot of people say he's such a ******bag in season 1, but really you see him beginning to transform even then. But once you get to season 2, he's really the star role for me. He's hysterical, charming, caring, and straight-up ******!

^^^ Every single character is solid. Even if they’re not as good— like Billy or Max, they’re still solid. Not a single character— even the minor ones/extras, that I find annoying and drags the momentum. With Steve being one of the most multi-dimensional and relatable characters. He’s always been a nice guy: In Season 1, it was him that gave Jonathan a new camera for Christmas after breaking it in an earlier episode. But he had Nancy give it to Jonathan. It’s a very real and genuine gesture from someone who cares but doesn’t want the other person to know that he does care. And he was absolutely hilarious in this current Season. Joe’s facial expressions and features and comic timing is brilliant. They couldn’t cast a better “Steve”.

The cast is why I can effortlessly tolerate the cutesy-fluff: the bumbling, high-as-f*ck scene with Steve/Robin that went onfor too long and the Dustin/Suzie duet rammed right into the a more pivotal moment. It’s so silly and would verge on obnoxious for a lesser cast (and director), but they make it work so effortlessly.

Now contrast that with someone like… Prince Charming epitomized, Rian Johnson. Every single character is annoying, obnoxious and a total b*tch in TLJ. There’s not a trace of warmth, charm and humanity in these caricatures— and in the case of POC, borderline-racist caricatures. And that goes for JJ as well. You know, if the Duffer brothers helmed a SW story, with a similar tone to characterization and story beat as Stranger Things, I would still feel it’s the wrong direction for SW, but… it would likely be clever, charming and genuine fun. Because there’s talent there.

(BTW, I adore when they get the soundtrack so perfect for a specific scene. In Season 1, after Jonathan rescues Nancy from going through the hollow of a tree in the forest to lure out the Demigorgon, there’s this fairy tale vibe to it all and the episode ends… followed by Echo & The Bunnymen’s "Nocturnal Me”. Just surreal, Gothy-perfection. Come Season 4 in 1986, they must include Furniture’s "Brilliant Mind”...)

I enjoyed this season although it took me more than half of the episodes before I felt a lot of excitement. It wasn't because it was bad, but rather that there weren't really any mysteries like in the first season. I knew the plot outline for this season from how episode one played out.

I think I would rather the Duffer Bros not make another ST but instead make a horror anthology. That way, it would be surprising each season. This season ended as a good season finale.

I thought the characters were overall pretty good. Will was the weakest (again) but I did like the way he was outed.

I enjoyed a lot of the 80's references and realized that if I was more of a nerd that I probably would have seen even more. 2 high points were the Phillip Glass music and seeing the surfer Gumby Tee I owned in the 80's.

Some were forced and some telegraphed what would happen next. For example, when Hopper was fighting the Russian near the spinning blade, the way he spat and raised his fists made me laugh at the Indy reference. That was great. However, like Dustin's duet, the homage went on too long and I knew how this fight would play out.

Some were great though like Stevie holding Phebe Cates in the video store. Some tied directly into the story although some might only be created in the viewer's mind. For example, they mentioned Gumby and then they had the Tee. Gumby was a surfer, just like the vision of a young Billy. Did I create that connection or did they?

Any guesses as to who the "American" is? (Aside from the very obvious choice)
    Last edited by Utinniii; 07-14-2019 at 09:33 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast