Thread: Darth Vader TIE Canopy

Darth Vader TIE Canopy

So I've restored many of these, but always have the halves that aren't "open" unlike the TIE Interceptor's which are. I'm trying to confirm whether the open topped halves were used at some point on the Vader TIE or if eBay Seller's are truly trying to pass off Interceptor hatch halves as the proper part for the V-TIE's. If you know the answer for certain, please, fill me in. Thanks.

To the best of my knowledge, the Darth Vader Tie Fighter can be found with both the "closed slots" and "open slots". I'm pretty sure the difference is due to the closed being released in 1978, and the open being re-issued in 1983 as a Collector's Edition. Kenner probably just used the open slot cover because the mold was already being used for the Interceptor.

There is a color difference between the Vader Gray and the Interceptor Gray, and will be quite noticeable if the parts are swapped on one ship or the other.

Aha, that explains it. So in terms of the mold for both the '78 and '83, there's no change then, save the open top canopy, yes? I've also made comparisons with the open top canopy I'd received with the Vader TIE I just recently acquired and there was a marked difference in terms of color compared to the fuselage/wings, much too light for the ship. To be frank, it looks silly and out of place. I then matched it up to the Interceptor in my collection and the color was dead on. That being said, I think it's safe to say that the hatch halves were molded in two colors to match the corresponding ship it was made for, dark grey for the V-TIE and light grey for the Interceptor. This clears the fog in my mind DJ, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by techietaichi View Post
    Aha, that explains it. So in terms of the mold for both the '78 and '83, there's no change then, save the open top canopy, yes? I've also made comparisons with the open top canopy I'd received with the Vader TIE I just recently acquired and there was a marked difference in terms of color compared to the fuselage/wings, much too light for the ship. To be frank, it looks silly and out of place. I then matched it up to the Interceptor in my collection and the color was dead on. That being said, I think it's safe to say that the hatch halves were molded in two colors to match the corresponding ship it was made for, dark grey for the V-TIE and light grey for the Interceptor. This clears the fog in my mind DJ, thank you.
    Correct. The '78 and the '83 share the same mold with exception of the hatch. And very glad I could help!
    Last edited by DJ121; 07-17-2018 at 11:10 PM.