Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keep or Sell UCS Re-DOs?

Boys, don't make any loud noises or sudden movements.

I think we have a conversation in this thread.

HUZZAH!!!

oops
    Staff Reporter: LEGO & AU/NZ Collecting News
    Moderator: LEGO & LEGO: Classifieds

For Sale:
    LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary Archive Sale
    For Fun: LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary Archive Gallery
    For Feedback: Jeremy = AOK

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Boys, don't make any loud noises or sudden movements.

I think we have a conversation in this thread.

HUZZAH!!!

oops
    You jinxed the thread Jeremy!
    Last edited by oneknightr; 07-13-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Chosen_1 View Post
    I lucked out on the price I got for mine. I Bricklinked my 10179 (it's 100% complete, no swapped parts, including all the hard to find elements), with an unused sticker sheet. No instruction manual or boxes.

As soon as Lego posted the first teaser video for the Falcon (last July, I think?) I put it on eBay. The auction ended at an even $1,700.
    Yeah I definitely should have done that, but hindsight is 20-20 and all... I just really never believed Lego would put out a set this large again after having to clearance out the last ones.

My 10179 has been boxed up for like 9 years, but it's (if I remember how they were sold correctly) it's the first edition with the certificate, and it's still in the box. 100% complete and good to go. I feel like I could get $900 for it on the high end since it would ship in the box, but after eBay takes their 10% I'd be around $800 for it.

So I'm super torn up about it, I have almost every OT SW Lego set ever made and that means like 5 small Snowspeeders, multiple Y-Wings, X-Wings, and A-Wings. At least two AT-AT's (I'm missing the motorized one), multiple Slave I's, B-Wings... it just goes on and on. And while I have this dream that I'll have a huge basement in the not-too-distant future and will be able to display all this, I also have a massive Hasbro collection, and a really enormous collection of 1990's Lego Castle, Pirates, and Space.

I'm just starting to envision a scenario where I hang onto all this stuff and then never manage to display it. If I started selling off some of the (especially the larger) duplicate sets that are just not-as-good versions of new sets, I could free up space and dump some extra funds into savings or whatever.

I hate selling stuff, but thinking back over 20 years of collecting, I can't think of a single thing that I sold that I wish I had back. I'm either good at deciding, or I just don't miss it when it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneel_Before_Zod View Post
    Yeah I definitely should have done that, but hindsight is 20-20 and all... I just really never believed Lego would put out a set this large again after having to clearance out the last ones.

My 10179 has been boxed up for like 9 years, but it's (if I remember how they were sold correctly) it's the first edition with the certificate, and it's still in the box. 100% complete and good to go. I feel like I could get $900 for it on the high end since it would ship in the box, but after eBay takes their 10% I'd be around $800 for it.

So I'm super torn up about it, I have almost every OT SW Lego set ever made and that means like 5 small Snowspeeders, multiple Y-Wings, X-Wings, and A-Wings. At least two AT-AT's (I'm missing the motorized one), multiple Slave I's, B-Wings... it just goes on and on. And while I have this dream that I'll have a huge basement in the not-too-distant future and will be able to display all this, I also have a massive Hasbro collection, and a really enormous collection of 1990's Lego Castle, Pirates, and Space.

I'm just starting to envision a scenario where I hang onto all this stuff and then never manage to display it. If I started selling off some of the (especially the larger) duplicate sets that are just not-as-good versions of new sets, I could free up space and dump some extra funds into savings or whatever.

I hate selling stuff, but thinking back over 20 years of collecting, I can't think of a single thing that I sold that I wish I had back. I'm either good at deciding, or I just don't miss it when it's gone.
    I am dealing with this now. I've been collecting Lego and Star Wars prop replicas for the past 10 years with the dream of being able to display them all one day. We moved into our forever house a little less than a year ago. While our house is a decent size (2200 sf), Iíve come to realize that there is just no way I am ever going to be able to display all the sets and prop replicas I have. Iím mainly a big set collector (UCS Star Wars, modulars, etc) so the sets will take up a decent amount of space once displayed. Iíve started the painful route of deciding on what sets stay and what sets go. Iíve been selling sets off slowly and while it does hurt, it takes the weight off a bit. I still have a lot of sets to sell, but itís getting easier to let them go. A set sitting in the box is a sad thing to see. It feels good knowing that the sets I sell are going to be built and hopefully played with instead of sitting in my storage room for years.

On a brighter note, I am looking forward to building and displaying my UCS sets that have been boxed for years...UCS SSD, Slave I, Imperial Shuttle, Tie Fighter, Sandcrawler...and the Falcon!

Yeah, I get that. I've been in the same apartment for like 9 years, I've been buying and holding SW Lego in the boxes for a long time and am kind of over it. I took this photo a year or two ago...

Since then I've added the UCS Snowspeeder, Y-Wing, and Falcon as well as a few smaller sets like the small Cantina add on.

One other thing I'm going to have to consider is whether or not to sell some of these sealed up items (the older more expensive ones) and re-buy used sets. I figured I could extract a decent amount of money out of this pile before building everything.

Commander

Let me know if that tumbler is going for sale. I never got one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kneel_Before_Zod View Post
    Yeah, I get that. I've been in the same apartment for like 9 years, I've been buying and holding SW Lego in the boxes for a long time and am kind of over it. I took this photo a year or two ago...

Since then I've added the UCS Snowspeeder, Y-Wing, and Falcon as well as a few smaller sets like the small Cantina add on.

One other thing I'm going to have to consider is whether or not to sell some of these sealed up items (the older more expensive ones) and re-buy used sets. I figured I could extract a decent amount of money out of this pile before building everything.
    I remember you posting that picture. If space allows and you are sure it's a set you want to build and display, I would definitely go that route with the sets that have skyrocketed in value. That Black Pearl has jumped in value way more than I would have guessed. I would definitely sell that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayghost2482 View Post
    Let me know if that tumbler is going for sale. I never got one.
    It's not.

I'm not really downsizing, just starting to wonder if it's worth it to keep two different versions of some of the UCS sets.

Quote Originally Posted by oneknightr View Post
    I remember you posting that picture. If space allows and you are sure it's a set you want to build and display, I would definitely go that route with the sets that have skyrocketed in value. That Black Pearl has jumped in value way more than I would have guessed. I would definitely sell that one.
    I got two Black Pearls on clearance at Target for like $60 or $70 each. I kept one and sold one for maybe $120 shortly after to recoup what I spent. It looks like they sell for like $600 now, I should have hung onto it! But that's exactly the kind of thing I mean, I could get $600 for mine, buy an open one for $300 or whatever and extract some cash out of this pile that I've been sitting on for so long.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12