Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Screenplay Daily Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Muftak View Post
    It doesn't get any better than this, folks!

Action, story development, humor, building tension, it's all here. Especially in this scripted version, where we get a few extra details that the editing of the film glosses over...like Han and Luke intentionally missing Chewie while taking out the alarms. That was a subtle touch that got lost in the frenetic quick-cuts of the final version. Ditto with Han giving Chewie the signal to go crazy. Han takes command, Luke charges off to the rescue, the audience gets to take a breath as things are looking up for the heroes...

And then there is the failed bluff. For all of Han's bravado, all his cockiness, he just isn't good at lying. It's played as an endearing trait here, and always gets a laugh. He gives up pretty easily and reverts to form, choosing to shoot the comlink (how does that help? It doesn't, it's just what he's good at.) And with the shout of "Luke! We're going to have company!" Han gets the coveted button, while also putting the tension right back into the rescue mission.

Absolutely one of my favorite movie scenes of all time.
    I don't think I realized that Han and Luke were continuing the ruse after Chewie "broke loose" until reading the screenplay. It immediately becomes chaos in the final cut. Note Lucas referencing his own films: "Prisoner transfer from block one-one-three-eight." (THX-1138) Han's cringe face after awkwardly asking "How are you?" is one of my absolute favorite moments in the film.

Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- Day 102

I can't believe I forgot to mention the THX-1138 reference! As penance, I will point out that THX-1138 was the license plate number on George Lucas's car, I'm assuming as he drove around with his dog Indiana sitting in the co-pilot's seat a la Chewbacca (okay, geek cred restored!)

INT. DEATH STAR - CELL ROW
    Luke stops in front of one of the cells and blasts the door
    away with a laser pistol. When the smoke clears, Luke sees
    the dazzling young princess-senator. She had been sleeping
    and is now looking at him with an uncomprehending look on
    her face. Luke is stunned by her incredible beauty and stands
    staring at her with his mouth hanging open.

LEIA
    (finally)
    Aren't you a little short to be a
    stormtrooper?

Luke takes off his helmet, coming out of it.

LUKE
    What? Oh... the uniform. I'm Luke
    Skywalker. I'm here to rescue you.

LEIA
    You're who?

LUKE
    I'm here to rescue you. I've got
    your R2 unit. I'm here with Ben
    Kenobi.

LEIA
    Ben Kenobi is here! Where is he?

LUKE
    Come on!
    Technically, the filmed version breaks this sequence down into two scenes: we clearly go from one set-up outside the cell to another with the character interaction inside. Nevertheless, that's just a nitpick. Everything moves smoothly between the two.

I find it humorous that the script describes Luke's "stunned by her incredible beauty" reaction as "staring at her with his mouth hanging open," then has him take off his helmet a bit later. Luckily in the film Mark Hamill pulled this off by tilting his head puppy-dog style.

Leia is true to her character, shooting off a quip instead of being worried by the Stormtrooper showing up in her cell. And totally ignoring Luke's rescue remark--he may be letting her out of her cell, but she hasn't decided if he has rescued her yet at all. (Spoiler--she's right!)

The one little distraction I have always had with this scene is Leia's reaction to the name "Ben Kenobi" though she ought to know him by his real name. (I guess if she was going to retrieve him she would know his alias as well, but this is one of those things that bothered me as a kid, so I don't think I followed the logic all the way through.)

Quote Originally Posted by Muftak View Post
    Technically, the filmed version breaks this sequence down into two scenes: we clearly go from one set-up outside the cell to another with the character interaction inside. Nevertheless, that's just a nitpick. Everything moves smoothly between the two.

I find it humorous that the script describes Luke's "stunned by her incredible beauty" reaction as "staring at her with his mouth hanging open," then has him take off his helmet a bit later. Luckily in the film Mark Hamill pulled this off by tilting his head puppy-dog style.

Leia is true to her character, shooting off a quip instead of being worried by the Stormtrooper showing up in her cell. And totally ignoring Luke's rescue remark--he may be letting her out of her cell, but she hasn't decided if he has rescued her yet at all. (Spoiler--she's right!)

The one little distraction I have always had with this scene is Leia's reaction to the name "Ben Kenobi" though she ought to know him by his real name. (I guess if she was going to retrieve him she would know his alias as well, but this is one of those things that bothered me as a kid, so I don't think I followed the logic all the way through.)
    It's worth noting that this is the first and only time we hear the name Skywalker in the original version of the film (the SE restored the scene where Red Leader refers to Luke by his surname). In a recent interview, Mark Hamill revealed they had to reshoot this scene late in production because his character's last name was changed from Starkiller to Skywalker.

You're right. Leia clearly refers to Kenobi as Obi-Wan in her message. I think through most of this film he is referred to as Ben and therefore cemented Ben as his name in many fans' heads originally, kind of the same way Leia is pronounced "Le-uh" almost exclusively in this first picture and then became "Lay-uh" in subsequent movies. I've never heard an explanation for that.
    Last edited by ZevSenesca; 07-19-2019 at 12:25 PM.

Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- Day 102

INT. DEATH STAR - CONFERENCE ROOM
    Darth Vader paces the room as Governor Tarkin sits at the
    far end of the conference table.

VADER
    He is here...

TARKIN
    Obi-Wan Kenobi! What makes you think
    so?

VADER
    A tremor in the Force. The last time
    I felt it was in the presence of my
    old master.

TARKIN
    Surely he must be dead by now.

VADER
    Don't underestimate the power of the
    Force.

TARKIN
    The Jedi are extinct, their fire has
    gone out of the universe. You, my
    friend, are all that's left of their
    religion.

There is a quiet buzz on the comlink.

TARKIN
    Yes.

INTERCOM VOICE
    Governor Tarkin, we have an emergency
    alert in detention block A A-twenty-
    three.

TARKIN
    The princess! Put all sections on
    alert!

VADER
    Obi-Wan is here. The Force is with
    him.

TARKIN
    If you're right, he must not be
    allowed to escape.

VADER
    Escape is not his plan. I must face him alone.
    Yeah, I don't know about this scene. It almost seems to be a placeholder. It is here so we don't lose track of our villains, but I don't think it has the level of intensity or impact it could. One would infer that with all the information given, Vader would be showing up at the Detention Level pronto, and you could follow that he would be able to track down our band of hapless heroes pretty quickly from there.

Instead, looking at it really hard one can hypothesize that Vader is so preoccupied with Kenobi that he is barely paying attention to the developments around the Princess.

Tarkin, meanwhile, has nothing to do in this scene. Perhaps if he was to have a bigger reaction to the reveal of the rescue attempt, we could gain more insight into his character. As it is, he stays cool and collected, leaving the details of containing the break-out to Vader. Who is kind of fixated on one thing right now, and shouldn't be left in charge.

I do like the filmed version's moving of the comlink call signal to just before Tarkin's line dismissing the Jedi. That way, he is already onto answering the call and the line gets to be Tarkin confidently putting an end to his discussion with Vader. It plays more real than Tarkin just waiting for a call he shouldn't know is coming.

An okay scene, but I'd say it could have been worked on a little more to give us some more character development of these guys.

In hindsight, this scene gives us a small early history of the Jedi (extinct/flame gone out) and mentions Vader's former master (Kenobi). Tarkin also implies that Vader is/was a Jedi.

Some of this was revealed in Kenobi's hut on Tatoine when he presents Luke with his father's lightsaber, but this gives some credentials to old Ben's crazy stories. We find out in ESB and ROTJ that Ben liked to stretch the truth a bit....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- Day 104

12,772 views.

INT. DEATH STAR - DETENTION AREA - HALLWAY
    An ominous buzzing sound is heard on the other side of the
    elevator door.

HAN
    Chewie!

Chewbacca responds with a growling noise.

HAN
    Get behind me! Get behind me!

A series of explosions knock a hole in the elevator door
    through which several Imperial troops begin to emerge.

Han and Chewie fire laser pistols at them through the smoke
    and flame. They turn and run down the cell hallway, meeting
    up with Luke and Leia rushing toward them.

HAN
    Can't get out that way.

LEIA
    Looks like you managed to cut off
    our only escape route.

HAN
    (sarcastically)
    Maybe you'd like it back in your
    cell, Your Highness.

Luke takes a small comlink transmitter from his belt as they
    continue to exchange fire with stormtroopers making their
    way down the corridor.

LUKE
    See-Threepio! See-Threepio!

THREEPIO
    (over comlink)
    Yes sir?

LUKE
    We've been cut off! Are there any
    other ways out of the cell bay?...
    What was that? I didn't copy!
    Here we get a healthy dose of serial-style action. Han and Chewie give up the entrance, because there was no plan in place to try and hold it. Retreating to the cellblock is a spur of the moment decision. Luke actually makes a great choice here, utilizing what "Spider Man: Homecoming" called the "guy in the chair" trope: if this were set in the present Luke would just check Google Maps--since this was made in the 1970s, he does the futuristic sci-fi equivalent.

But for all that, the scene belongs to Han and Leia's first interaction. She calls him out on his retreat, he suggests that if she isn't thrilled about the rescue, she doesn't need to participate. Immediately they have set up the style of their banter for the next 3 movies, and it really helps to develop their characters and keep the action and adventure fun.

Quote Originally Posted by ZevSenesca View Post
    I also think it's odd that these guys in the detention block are just hanging around holding blasters all day long.
    Are you saying that guards are not armed in jail/prison?
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's pretty uncommon for jail/prison guards to carry firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    I was speaking from memory. I rewatched the scene and the Death Squad Commanders actually unholster their guns after the officer signals them over to our heroes. I was thinking they were standing around with their guns drawn, just waiting for something to happen. All. Day. Long. Only to die quickly when something does happen.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast