Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627

Thread: Star Wars Screenplay Daily Reading

Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 90

If you are interested in the mechanics of Star Wars technology, I urge you to seek out the West End Games "Star Wars Sourcebook" from 1987 or so. It really established a reality for the GFFA, so much so that the EU writers were instructed to use it as a framework for their use of Star Wars technology. It has game stats in it, but they don't interfere with the enrichment.

INT. DEATH STAR - DOCKING BAY 2037
    The pirateship is pulled in through port doors of the Death
    Star, coming to rest in a huge hangar. Thirty stormtroopers
    stand at attention in a central assembly area.

OFFICER
    To you stations!
    (to another officer)
    Come with me.

Now I don't know what they are going for. Here the ship is coming in the room while 30 stormtroopers stand assembled, after the magnetic fields have been dropped. Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of the magnetic fields, and they are intended to keep the ship from leaving once it is out of the tractor beam's grasp.
    Last edited by Muftak; 10-08-2018 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muftak View Post
    Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of the magnetic fields, and they are intended to keep the ship from leaving once it is out of the tractor beam's grasp.

Or maybe it has something to do with the gravity fields inside the bay. When the fields are down, the bay is a zero-gee so as to allow the Falcon to gently enter the bay and rest on the bay floor w/o creating undo stress on the tractor beam emitter. During this time, the bay needs to be clear so that anyone in there doesn't go flying about.

Now these magnetic fields aren't really the artificial gravity fields per se, but perhaps are used to power up the grav plates along the floor of the bay to make them operate. Also, I would imagine these fields help with strengthening the structural integrity of the floor, walls and ceiling as well.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

We see that the docking bay is littered with boxes and barrels so I expect it always has gravity. I always thought the magnetic shield was one that prevents things from entering/leaving. I felt like there were always several shields at play.

Yeah, I thought about the stuff on the floor as well although I figured the pieces would have their own magnetic attachments, but in the end, I guess it's just overthinking the whole thing.

Regardless of the technical merits of magnetic fields; The background chatter of DS air-traffic controllers do a good job of intimidating the audience along with the visuals.

Ralph McQuire's background paintings here are really amazing. Literally they are entering "the belly of the beast" and being swallowed whole.

Anyway, we hear Rebel ships passing through magnetic field(s) later on requiring deflector shields w/o veering off course . I figured those kinds of fields extend further out which are either the result of electromagnetic fields generated from all the hardware on the station itself and/or some kind of repulsive fields when the station travels at sublight to ward off space dust. (Think navigational deflector on the starship Enterprise).

Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 91

In light of all the magnetic field talk, I think I have cobbled together a theory that makes sense. The magnetic field acts as a deflector to keep space-bourne debris from entering the Death Star. (Can you imagine the Death Star blowing up Alderaan, only to be destroyed itself by the resulting meteor shower?) The precaution of clearing the hangar bay is just that, on the off-chance that some cosmic rays or asteroids find their way in...but the precaution is trumped by the orders to investigate the captured ship. The powered-down ship being hauled in by tractor beam requires these fields to be deactivated, else it would be deflected away as well. A ship flying with it's own ion drives or other sublight power sources is stronger than the magnetic field, as we do see when Red and Gold Squadron approach the Death Star later.

INT. DEATH STAR - HALLWAY

Stormtroopers run to their posts.
    I think this is something notable because it is the first time we see a Death Star hallway. And we will soon be seeing lots of those.

More of the 'castle/fortress' motif added here I'd would assert, but this time now showing the 'castle guards'.

Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 92

INT. DEATH STAR - HANGAR 2037
    A line of stormtroopers march toward the pirateship in
    readiness to board it, while other troopers stand with weapons
    ready to fire.

OFFICER
    Close all outboard shields! Close all outboard shields!
    So far these last few scenes have been a way over-the-top massive show of force on the Imperial side. This works for the viewer because the last time we saw our heroes they were talking about alternatives to a head-on fight. It is a different kind of tension being drawn, the kind where we are anticipating the trick but we don't know what it is going to be yet.

Plus it is important for the next segment of the film (to be clear, the Death Star Escape is my favorite part of the Star Wars saga) that we understand the odds against our heroes.

I've typically thought of the description of the troopers' readiness to fire as more displaying 'trained guns' on the Falcon rather than scrambling to assemble in formation as it appears more or less like that in the final cut.

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 17252627