Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Screenplay Daily Reading

Quote Originally Posted by Deak_Starkiller View Post

On a subtle note, the change from Threepio's visage from bronze to gold could be considered a visual change to possibly fit his etiquette demeanor.
    Likely a cinematic one. Gold looked better on film.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Even hearing the word Sith can invoke a certain fear, particularly when its connected to other sounding words like 'slither', which can invoke an archetypical image like a snake, or perhaps even the biblical devil.
    Agreed and I'm certain it's intentional on GL part as it was with other names like Darth Sideous.

I recall pre-Episode 1 interviews with GL were he said the Sith would be further explored in the Prequels and that Sith was not necessarily synonymous with the Dark Side. That a Sith was a cult-like group.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GL felt changing to a bloodline relation for Luke/Leia would provide the highest tension possible, particularly during Luke's darkside temptation and the thought of Vader swaying his attention to Leia to create an even higher elevated response from Luke as the storyline evolved.
    it's well documented that GL just wanted Han to "get the girl".
    he rewrote Luke and Leia into siblings because "nobody buys 'Dead Han' dolls".

it goes back to Harrison's beef with the character.
    Harison wanted Han to fulfil his character arc, from "selfless rogue" to "selfless hero".

((ie: in ANH, Han thought only about himself (like a sith) -- until the very end when he comes back to save Luke (his first 'selfless' act):
    when you project this arc across a 'trilogy' then it naturally concludes when Han sacrifices himself to save his friends -- it's a no-brainer.
    thus completing Han's character arc into a selfless hero (like a jedi) -- AND -- allowing Luke to "get the girl")).

Harrison said , he had this discussion with GL -- but GL wasn't having it -- GL's response was: "nobody buys Dead Han Dolls". period.
    this was the moment when Harrison realized they were NOT making "Art" anymore -- they were only selling toys.
    (this was the moment when Harrison Ford lost faith in Star Wars -- when GL allowed "toy sales" to take precedence over "The Story" -- when Luke and Leia were rewritten as "siblings").
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 07-06-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

279 views today. That's a bump!

I didn't mean to cause a stir with the twins talk. If anything it put my fanfic brain into gear, devising a scene where Luke and Leia discuss their ages with him being two years older than her, only to later discover that Tatooine used "solar circuit" years as opposed to "galactic standard" years so he is not as old as he thinks he is. Maybe it all comes to a head on Hoth when he is celebrating a second birthday before Leia even has one...

But yes, it is well-established at this point that Luke and Leia were not being written as brother and sister in the first two movies.

On to day 6, shall we?

INT. REBEL BLOCKADE RUNNER - CORRIDOR
    The evil Darth Vader stands amid the broken and twisted bodies
    of his foes. He grabs a wounded Rebel Officer by the neck as
    an Imperial Officer rushes up to the Dark Lord.

IMPERIAL OFFICER
    The Death Star plans are not in the
    main computer.

Vader squeezes the neck of the Rebel Officer, who struggles
    in vain.

VADER
    Where are those transmissions you
    intercepted?

Vader lifts the Rebel off his feet by his throat.

VADER
    What have you done with those plans?

REBEL OFFICER
    We intercepted no transmissions.
    Aaah... This is a consular ship.
    Were on a diplomatic mission.

VADER
    If this is a consular ship... where
    is the Ambassador?

The Rebel refuses to speak but eventually cries out as the
    Dark Lord begins to squeeze the officer's throat, creating a
    gruesome snapping and choking, until the soldier goes limp.
    Vader tosses the dead soldier against the wall and turns to
    his troops.

VADER
    Commander, tear this ship apart until
    you've found those plans and bring
    me the Ambassador. I want her alive!

The stormtroopers scurry into the subhallways.
    Here we get some character-building for our Dark Lord of the Sith. He doesn't stand back and let his prisoners be tortured and interrogated, he does it all very personally. This is a guy who gets things done, and already he fully personifies the might and will of the Empire.

Instead of a stormtrooper telling Vader the Death Star plans are not in the main computer, here it is an Imperial Officer.

And the "Rebel Officer" is not identified as the ship's captain.

We will continue tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Muftak View Post
    didn't mean to cause a stir with the twins talk.
    Oh, not at all. The way I'm interpreting that would be like the 'sidekick' getting the 'prize' instead of the 'hero' at the end of the story.
    "From Star Wars To Jedi: The Making Of A Saga" documentary provides some insight regarding GL's decision to relate Luke and Leia biologically.
    As a side note, Luke's sister...NOT Leia, was pitched back during Empire's first draft by screenplay writer Leigh Brackett, holding the name Nellith.
    Lastly, it seems Vader's line 'Ambassador' was changed to 'passengers/them' along the way.

Last edited by Deak_Starkiller; 07-06-2018 at 08:26 PM.
    A special effect without a story is a pretty boring thing. -George Lucas

427 views. Gaining momentum.

Day 7, we've made it a week!

INT. REBEL BLOCKADE RUNNER - SUBHALLWAY
    The lovely young girl huddles in a small alcove as the
    stormtroopers search through the ship. She is Princess Leia
    Organa, a member of the Alderaan Senate. The fear in her
    eyes slowly gives way to anger as the muted crushing sounds
    of the approaching stormtroopers grow louder. One of the
    troopers spots her.

TROOPER
    There she is! Set for stun!

Leia steps from her hiding place and blasts a trooper with
    her laser pistol. She starts to run but is felled by a
    paralyzing ray. The troopers inspect her inert body.

TROOPER
    She'll be all right. Inform Lord
    Vader we have a prisoner.
    A short scene today, not a lot to talk about...continuing the trend of scripted info that the film audience never gets but became common knowledge via the commercialization of the movie itself, here we get Leia's last name which is never spoken in the film but is displayed prominently on her action figure card.

Also it describes her as a member of the Alderaan Senate. I suppose I always though of her as a representative of Alderaan in the Galactic Senate, but perhaps this is not actually that. Maybe she is just a member of the world government, a Sio Bibble level if you will, as opposed to Senator Palpatine.

As an adult I have become a fan of the stormtrooper lines for what they contribute to the story from a "Greek chorus" angle. Here it's all about telling the audience what's going on: "We didn't kill her."

More tomorrow.

The 'Princess' title itself for Leia is an obvious harkening to classic fairly tales, an indicator that her survival is of importance to someone and to the continuation of an institution. The fairy tale concept has been a mindset for GL even up til Jedi when he, Marquand and Hamill have that short 'fairly tale' discussion as shown the aforementioned "From Star Wars To Jedi" doc. Now while Leia's intro doesn't necessarily fall into orderly structure of the Hero's Journey steps, her upcoming peril this early on (i.e. Snow White, Aurora) from a fairy tale motif is a significant impetus for Luke's upcoming 'Call To Adventure'.

547 views.

Here we go with Day 8...

INT. REBEL BLOCKADE RUNNER - SUBHALLWAY
    Artoo stops before the small hatch of an emergency lifepod.
    He snaps the seal on the main latch and a red warning light
    begins to flash. The stubby astro-robot works his way into
    the cramped four-man pod.

THREEPIO
    Hey, you're not permitted in there.
    It's restricted. You'll be deactivated
    for sure..

Artoo beeps something to him.

THREEPIO
    Don't call me a mindless philosopher,
    you overweight glob of grease! Now
    come out before somebody sees you.

Artoo whistles something at his reluctant friend regarding
    the mission he is about to perform.

THREEPIO
    Secret mission? What plans? What are
    you talking about? I'm not getting
    in there!

Artoo isn't happy with Threepio's stubbornness, and he beeps
    and twangs angrily.

A new explosion, this time very close, sends dust and debris
    through the narrow subhallway. Flames lick at Threepio and,
    after a flurry of electronic swearing from Artoo, the lanky
    robot jumps into the lifepod.

THREEPIO
    I'm going to regret this.
    I really like this little scene! We get character development on the droids, a little bit of danger, some world-building with the lifepod restriction information. It's very short and moves the story along without being clunky. Artoo and Threepio bicker convincingly, and I don't need to mention we never really hear what Artoo is saying so that is some accomplishment.

It's the first reading so far to put a genuine smile on my face!

Back next time...

This is really where we start to see the droids' personifications come through. We see that we're not getting the treatment we were use to seeing in previous sci-fi depictions regarding robots. Artoo can be unpredictable, despite Threepio's objections, yet Threepio despite his demeanor is willing to look past the rules/regulations in those situations as well.

Star Wars Daily Screenplay Reading -- DAY 9

645 views. That's nearly a hundred yesterday.

INT. IMPERIAL STARDESTROYER
    On the main viewscreen, the lifepod carrying the two terrified
    robots speeds away from the stricken Rebel spacecraft.

CHIEF PILOT
    There goes another one.

CAPTAIN
    Hold your fire. There are no life
    forms. It must have been short-
    circuited.

INT. LIFEPOD

Artoo and Threepio look out at the receding Imperial starship.
    Stars circle as the pod rotates through the galaxy.

THREEPIO
    That's funny, the damage doesn't
    look as bad from out here.

Artoo beeps an assuring response.

THREEPIO
    Are you sure this things safe?
    Two quick scenes today...they were both so short I didn't mind leaving them together.

Reading the names of the Imperials in the Star Destroyer scene "Chief Pilot" and "Captain" you would almost have to visualize this taking place on the bridge. In my mind this has always been taking place in a gunnery station along the surface...this scene is clunky and convenient to the story, because there is no way the Imperials were conserving power or whatever excuse you want to think of to not just blow this pod up. The dialogue points out this isn't the first, we have to assume the others (with fleeing Rebel Fleet Troopers I assume) were blown up, why not just blast this one? Why does short-circuiting exempt it from being shot? This scene just points out the convenience of letting the droids escape because the story relies on it, and the reason offered doesn't ring true at all. I would argue the scene could be cut and not be missed, except in a few minutes the Imperials need to know this pod made it to the planet.

(And how easy it is to forget we have a Star Destroyer scene in Star Wars! Everyone remembers the iconic Bridge scenes from ESB, but here we are, right there at the beginning of the series getting an SD scene. I can't even recall the environment all that well...I will have to go back and look at it to see why it slips the mind so easily.)

The droids, meanwhile, have their escape scene. I chuckle when watching the film because the Blockade Runner is practically invisible, yet Threepio comments on how it doesn't look too damaged. Today I chuckled at the line "Are you sure this thing's safe" because it highlights Threepio's nervous demeanor. He has the audacity to wonder if a lifepod meant for the living is safe enough for a lowly droid.

And I agree with Deak's sentiment about the droids' strong personalities. Artoo was my favorite character as a 4-year old seeing this movie for the first time because he was brave and daring. Threepio, the counterpoint rule-follower, gained sympathy every time because he so often has to override the rules because of his much-stronger "self preservation" instinct. A droid ought not have that inversion of priorities, but from the overall perspective I can see how Threepio's <ahem> unorthodox creation could have led to the programming difference.

Until tomorrow...

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast