Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast

Thread: LightSword's Corner: A Tour of my Collection

As an official promotional partner for the May 19, 2005 release of the final Pre-Trilogy Star Wars film: Revenge of the Sith on movie screens, Masterfoods USA and Lucasfilm Ltd. joined forces and engaged fans with the ultimate inter-galactic adventure. The promotion was supported with a full-scale media effort, including national broadcast, print and online advertising, public relations, interactive media, in-store displays and a NASCAR partnership. The highlight of the promotion was the world debut in April of '05 of M&M's Chocolate Candies in dark chocolate. Wrapped around the chocolate core were color mixes that represented different sides of the Force: lighter colors around milk chocolate represented the light side-following Jedi, and darker colors with dark chocolate centers represented the dark side-loving Sith. M&M's Dark Chocolate Candies were only available for a limited time and sold out very quickly, and were not available for purchase via the Internet nor directly from the maker.The product was made available again at the end of September through November 2005. As in the Spring, it was made available in limited quantities at Target, Walmart and Kroger.

The campaign was dubbed "Star Wars Chocolate M-Pire", a nice play on words. For the first time ever, and for those of us more interested in the "plastic" aspect of it rather than the tasteful chocolate itself, those colorful little chocolate candies that melt in your mouth got dressed up as Star Wars characters in all their chocolate glory, made into action figures and Plush toys and distributed by Hasbro, bringing to the collecting scene the Star Wars heroes and adversaries as engaging M&M brand characters. These figures captured the signature looks that have made the characters of both properties instantly recognized and cherished by their respective fans; a distinctive addition to anyone's collection. Walmart was the easiest place for all of these to be found, selling for $6.88 each..

Made of two different waves and sold as 2-packs, these were the characters available and the ones I'm highlighting here through pictures, plus some of the plush toys

1st Wave

- Chewbacca & Mace Windu ( M-Bacca & M-Ace )
    - General Grievous & Obi-Wan ( M-Grievous & M-Obi-Wan )
    - Clone Trooper & Vader ( M-Trooper & M-Vader )
    - Emperor Palpatine & Anakin ( M-Peror & M-Anakin )

2nd Wave

- Queen Amidala & C-3PO with R2D2 ( M-Adala & M-3PO with M-2D2)
    - Darth Maul & Count Dooku ( M-Ooku & M-Aul )
    - Han Solo & Bobba Fett ( M-Solo & Bobba M-Ett )
    - Luke & Leia. ( M-Uke & M-Eia )

In an attempt to match the shape of an M&M candy, and serving as well as the shape of their Death Star backdrop, the figures were placed in circular card backs, protected by a standard clear blister with a J-hook to hang from the pegs. I would say the whole presentation of the package was quite appealing, exhibiting nice graphics of the figures on the front and back of the cards with their corresponding names.

While paint application was not at all the best, with plenty of color bleeding, the figures make up for this issue thanks to their whimsical/cartoonish sculpting, although being pretty much PVC pieces rather than action figures, since they are not articulated, save only two of them having very limited movement. Overall one can tell these were mainly geared towards kids than the average adult collector. Nonetheless if you like to incur every now and then into something breaking away from the ordinary, I'm sure these are attractive enough to have them added to your collection, mainly as novelty pieces and nostalgic ones as the years go by.

Last edited by LightSword; 08-25-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

My Feedback , My Collection

Star Wars Chocolate Mpire Wave 2

Last edited by LightSword; 08-25-2019 at 02:41 PM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

Star Wars Chocolate Mpire Plush Toys ...

Last edited by LightSword; 08-25-2019 at 02:52 PM.

Star Wars Chocolate Mpire: Extra stuff

THE END
    Last edited by LightSword; 08-25-2019 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post
    Yeah. I agree it is a better sample than my previous one, hence why I'm keeping it. Still not free from some issues that shouldn't be there considering in order to get this I had to pay $150.00 for the membership then another $135.00 with shipping for the bust. Maybe I'm too picky , but I feel these things should have no issues at all considering the amount spent to get to them. But yeah, this one's a keeper and I'm sending the headless one, free of charge, to someone that's building a head for it with a 3D printer a few towns away from me here in Florida.

Here is the section on my shelves I have set aside for McQuarrie mini busts, and those shiny mini busts and helmet as well...

Great McQuarrie shelf there! And I like the Sandies too, the Kotos and especially the Riddell/MR Custom Sandtrooper
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

Thanks, Sergiu. I've been fortunate enough to get to all the McQuarrie mini busts ( Luke especially) without any ordering issues, except for the Han Solo one which I won on a raffle at Celebration in 2017, as it had sold out online. Hopefully the line will continue with an emphasis on the quality of the product.

The Koto Sandtroopers are the 1/7 scale I re-weathered myself. If you look at the foot of the Sandtrooper closest to the edge of the picture, you can spot the tip of the desert rose from Tunisia that you sent me.

The GG Sandtrooper mini busts are among my favorite GG releases. The black pauldron one I bought it years ago directly from GG during Celebration III in Indianapolis. The silver and gold one to the left of the picture I don't even want to know how much it was; I know they are very expensive when they rarely come up for bids on Ebay. It was a gift from my wife a couple of Christmas ago.

The Riddell Sandtrooper helmet was a Stormtrooper one I had since the initial release of the Line. It had turned a bit yellow on the top of the dome being so close to a light source above my display unit, before I got LED lighting. So I figured it was an opportunity to weather it and give it the Sandtrooper look . The Stormtrooper helmet next to it was the replacement I bought from Ebay.
    Last edited by LightSword; 08-27-2019 at 02:44 PM.

BTW have you seen the RS Prop Masters Hero Stormtrooper helmet offering? I posted a link in the Fan made props section.
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

I have. Everything that RS produces is fantastic. I mean it does not get any closer to the actual movie props than what they put out. If only I had the space on my shelves for more 1:1 helmets I certainly would have been buying more of these great releases from them.
    Last edited by LightSword; 08-27-2019 at 11:28 AM.

Exactly my thinking. Every time I see in pictures shirts with a certain logo I created being worn by personalities like Steve Sansweet, and sold at conventions for a profit and I never received a dime for it . Same as with one of my complete visual guides when it was given to another website that gave credit to another person for it instead of me. I'll just leave it at that. I've turned the page on a lot of mistakes and unpleasant memories.

I've got this one coming up soon, Trav. Daily life got in the way yesterday, and I'm just finishing it up now
    I feel ya. Pro Football HOF poster designs, Avengers cartoon in the mid 2000s, even a certain comic character all have been stolen from me as well
    He's no good to me dead!

Yeah. I agree it is a better sample than my previous one, hence why I'm keeping it. Still not free from some issues that shouldn't be there considering in order to get this I had to pay $150.00 for the membership then another $135.00 with shipping for the bust. Maybe I'm too picky , but I feel these things should have no issues at all considering the amount spent to get to them. But yeah, this one's a keeper and I'm sending the headless one, free of charge, to someone that's building a head for it with a 3D printer a few towns away from me here in Florida.

Here is the section on my shelves I have set aside for McQuarrie mini busts, and those shiny mini busts and helmet as well...

EVERY TIME I see your collection...wow! Spectacular my friend! I especially love those mini helmets on the bottom .
    He's no good to me dead!

Page 42 of 58 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast