Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: LightSword's Corner: A Tour of my Collection

I like the autographs on figures, even though some of these are the muscle POTF ones. Do you intend to display them in the collection?
    COLLECTION
    Feedback

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    WOW!! Those are SOOO awesome Julian!! Seriously, as someone who also collected that entire line for years just incredible! I always liked that Leia piece, because it was the first re-release and at one point was absurdly valuable. The fact you have them all signed, just so sweet. My other favorites are the Boba Fett one as he no longer does shows and the Jango one, because I am a massive Jango fan as well. But there is not a bad one in the bunch! Thanks for sharing those, just great .
    Thank you, Travis. Despite having such bad resemblance to the actress, which gave her the nick-name "Monkey Leia", I've always found her and the remaining 7 figures from that initial Wave in 1995 rather nostalgic and symbolic. I agree she looks nothing like Carrie Fisher, but it was because of these figures I got into collecting Star Wars. I remember late 1996 going to Toys R Us one day with my wife to buy a toy for my wife's little cousin ( now an Air Force pilot/time flies), and just walking by the action figure isle and seeing an entire wall packed with these orange figures really amazed me. Started looking through them, telling my wife " look at this! R2-D2! ...Vader!" Little did I know they had started releasing them the previous year, so there were more to choose from than the initial eight cards. I remember a 10 year old boy came up to me and asked me if I liked the figures. I said yes, and he rushed back to the pegs and proceeded to put in my cart every Star Wars figure that was out at the time, and vehicle. Not only did I buy the toy we went in to get in the first place, but I also bought all of the figures that kid got for me, and that princess Leia card, which later on I got signed, was among them.

Boba Fett was given to me as work credit by a website no longer operational that, for several reasons, I rather don't mention the name. In those days I was all about errors and variations. I wrote one of the longest guides for these and collected every single one of them I could come across, and added pictures to the Errors and Variants Guide. Besides missing the Mandalorian emblem on some Boba Fett figures, there were a few errors with the black circles on Boba Fett's gloves as well. Besides the normal run of the mill full painted circles, there were HTF Fett figures with: circles not painted at all, one hand with painted circle the other one unpainted, one hand with half painted the other one full painted circle, and circles cut in half in the center (unpainted line) like mine is, so this one had a high rarity and sale value at the time.

As much as I love collecting High-end stuff and some replicas these days, I can openly say nothing brings back such great memories as action figure collecting. It was the beginning of all this for me, and a venue to meet great folks like yourselves across the country and overseas. The figures opened up the doors to share a passion with the rest of the world. You can add to that the Action Fleet line as well, which I still have. Those little ships and vehicles were/are so much fun to collect. So yes, I'm a high-end collector these days but still an action figure guy at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergiu View Post
    I like the autographs on figures, even though some of these are the muscle POTF ones. Do you intend to display them in the collection?
    I hear you Sergiu. The figures from Power of The Force Line from '95 do look muscular and buff; the He-man type. I mean, just comparing later Hasbro releases for Leia to this first one in the orange card is pretty much like day and night, and it is easily noticeable the tooling, likeness and articulation improvements as the years passed. But, I'm assuming due to nostalgic reasons, even today, when I look at the design of these orange cards, I feel I want to buy them all. So many other great designs came out after these, but to me personally, the overall look of the orange and green cards was/is quite appealing. Despite Hasbro having purchased Tonka corporation in '91 which included Kenner, I liked the fact they kept using the Kenner logo (until 1999), instead of the Hasbro one, which to me added more to their nostalgic feel.

The signed cards are all safely kept in Star cases, and carefully placed in a padded box under climate controlled conditions in my storage unit, where they'll remain for a while. After I started collecting high-end stuff, my collection room (11' x 13') really have no space for these figures, and neither do my shelves. I do plan to display them all along with my complete Action Fleet vehicles once we sell this house and move to another one with an extra room for other Star Wars stuff I have in storage. Hence why we will look for new construction so I can design the room prior to the construction, which builders can sometimes add to their plans. That's probably when I'll look for all the MR vehicles I'm missing as well due to lack of space.

Last edited by LightSword; 08-18-2019 at 11:09 AM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

My Feedback , My Collection

I agree Julian, no matter how high end I get like an XM statue, nothing compares to the rush of nostalgia I feel when I see these orange carded figures again!

I do recall all the oddities with the Boba, I had a couple half circle, cut circle ones in college and sold them off for a pretty penny so I could eat LOL. I thought it was so silly people were paying double or triple for them when to me just having the original release was good enough! Until my friends pointed it out to me, I couldn't even tell at first glance.

I also remember the biker scout was insane when it came out, and I keep going back and buying more because every time I got one, someone in my dorm wanted it so I pretty much bought them all out at wal mart.

Lastly, the first time I came across these was at a KB Toys in a mall in Philly. I was blown away and remember I almost got the shakes like a crackhead when seeing Star Wars figures on the shelves again haha. My then GF talked me out of buying them, asking how old was I? But not even a week later I went back and bought the entire wave, minus Leia who I came across in a K-Mart months later by mistake.
    He's no good to me dead!

Hi Julian, I donít want to derail any of this great action figure discussion, as I love reading here about everyoneís nostalgia! But I had a quick question to ask you about the 2017 Celebration cards from Cartamundi. Iím still trying to chase down a deck of the McQuarrie offering (wooden case); which I believe you have, correct? Do you also remember the x4 promo cards given out, x1 for each day?

Do you know what the card was for Day 2? I actually have x2 cards each for Day 1 & Day 3, and was ideally hoping to find a trading partner for a card from Day 2 & Day 4. Who knows where this might lead, might just have to resort to eBay for these. Thanks!
    Last edited by Irish_Jedi; 08-18-2019 at 10:05 PM.

Thank you, Kevin. Don't worry, you are not derailing the discussion. Personally I like discussing all sorts of collectibles, and I know of your interest for the McQuarrie playing card deck, thus I welcome your question. Yes, I still have the full deck of cards in the wooden box and display it with the SSC McQuarrie statues. I really haven't seen any f these on Ebay recently, but don't give up on your search.

The four free McQuarrie playing cards you mentioned were numbered according to the day each one was given away:

- #1 Princess Leia ( Thusday 1 of 4)

- #2 Luke Skywalker ( Friday 2 of 4)

- #3 Darth Vader ( Saturday 3 of 4)

- #4 Boba Fett ( Sunday 4 of 4)

I ended up with just one of each give away card, otherwise I would have been happy to help you complete your set, if I had any extras. I honestly think at this point your best bet would be Ebay. I do see those pop up with certain regularity there. Good luck in your search, and let us know when you find it.

Last edited by LightSword; 08-19-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    - There's some human instinct which makes a man collect what he is not to make any use of - Mark Twain

Hey Travis, for nostalgic purposes I'm showing here some pictures I took many years ago when I was still adding errors and variants to the visual guide. These are from the Original Trilogy Collection (OTC).The entire guide of errors and variants I still have, but everything is in floppy disks!! I can't no longer access them, unfortunately. I had a great Sony camera back in those days that worked only with floppy disks. ...

Last edited by LightSword; 08-19-2019 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post
    Thank you, Kevin. Don't worry, you are not derailing the discussion. Personally I like discussing all sorts of collectibles, and I know of your interest for the McQuarrie playing card deck, thus I welcome your question. Yes, I still have the full deck of cards in the wooden box and display it with the SSC McQuarrie statues. I really haven't seen any f these on Ebay recently, but don't give up on your search.

The four free McQuarrie playing cards you mentioned were numbered according to the day each one was given away:

- #1 Princess Leia ( Thusday 1 of 4)

- #2 Luke Skywalker ( Friday 2 of 4)

- #3 Darth Vader ( Saturday 3 of 4)

- #4 Boba Fett ( Sunday 4 of 4)

I ended up with just one of each give away card, otherwise I would have been happy to help you complete your set, if I had any extras. I honestly think at this point your best bet would be Ebay. I do see those pop up with certain regularity there. Good luck in your search, and let us know when you find it.

Thanks Julian for sharing. As always, such a great wealth of information.

i will have to find a Section here on RS to post about my search!
    Last edited by Irish_Jedi; 08-19-2019 at 09:59 PM.

You are welcome, Kevin. Best of luck getting to complete your set and finding the complete deck of McQuarrie cards. I'm sure it will happen sooner than later.
    Last edited by LightSword; 08-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Those are pretty cool, thanks for sharing Julian!

PS) Sorry you got just a slightly better McQ Sandtrooper, unacceptable. But hey, don't worry! Things will be better on the NEXT release. Or so they keep saying (funny there is another group out there that always claims it will be better the next time around, yet they never are). I am hoping by the Spacetrooper release they FINALLY get it right...but I am already warming up my ebay page for it to sell the way things have gone thus far from Diamond.
    He's no good to me dead!

I'm really concerned about the look of those gifts from last year (that we are supposed to get before the end of this year). I know we've seen plenty of pictures of them, but we haven't been assured they are pictures of the final products. I mean, look at GG's promo pictures of the McQuarrie Sandtrooper and the pictures on the box, and he looks perfect, but when you open the box ... "you never know what you are gonna get" Best thing to do is to expect the worst, so if they come out looking real good you'll be super excited, but if they don't, well, you were already prepared for it.
    Last edited by LightSword; 08-21-2019 at 09:05 AM.

Page 40 of 65 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast