Thread: Why didn't GG retain its value?

Why didn't GG retain its value?

Most pieces have gone down in price and even the rare stuff isn't what it used to be. What happened??

In my view, I'm not sure if I would generalize and say GG items haven't retained their value. There are some mini busts that sell for low prices, as finished Ebay auctions show, because thousands of them were produced and most people have them, but there is also a good number of their product retaining its value rather well and selling for prices higher than its original price. There are people that have lost interest in what GG produces and have focused on products from other makers such Hot Toys, XM, Sideshow, basically because they offer wanted items faster and better likeness. So, I would say interest is not as strong as it once was, while value of their product is still there for the most part, except for some of the product made in very high numbers. The demand just isn't as strong as it once was because there is more to choose from these days, thus prices could go down sometimes when some folks want to get rid faster of what they have.
    Last edited by LightSword; 06-18-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. You've gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

My Feedback , My Collection

I think it actually has less do to with quality and more to do with people lose interest sadly. I think GG's busts of Aayla Secura and Shaak Ti for example are two of the nicest pieces for these two characters, and to this day IMO the best Aayla Secura piece made. However, it's not 1/4 scale, or 1/5 scale, or the "hot" piece at this moment so prices in time start to drop.

Personally, I buy what I like and have recently been playing catch up with many pieces from as far back as the late '90s. That doesn't mean XM or SS aren't making great pieces because they are, but I think newer or younger collectors gravitate towards these pieces and less to mini busts these days. Just my two cents.
    "He's no good to me dead"

Not sure where you're seeing low prices, the asking prices on eBay right now seem to be at an all time high. Not just for the exclusives but also for the busts that would sell for less than retail even a few years ago. For example there are at least 3 auctions listed right now for the Qui-Gon bust for at least $75, that's a bust that could have been had for $30 just a couple years ago.

Iím not sure where these low prices are either as I can honestly say when looking at eBay thereís literally nothing being sold cheaper or the same as I paid for it, I recall all my bargains quite clearly & also when Iím looking at prices of older items all I think is Iím glad I got them when I did as itíd be a lot more expensive to try & get most of them now. The only things I have noticed as a difference is that the new movie mini-busts & the new armless classic line just arenít really selling out..., for most of the time I was buying new items it was always a bit of a stress to make sure you got one as theyíd sell out quickly, it used to be the same for Sideshow items too but that ceased as well so thereís definitely not the interest like there used to be, even with the massive drop in edition sizes. The new movie & classic busts did get bigger numbers than weíve been used to in recent years so maybe thatís the issue with looking like a lack of interest there?
    Last edited by kevb0977; 06-18-2018 at 07:20 AM.
    "Look Sir, Droids"

Quote Originally Posted by LightSword View Post
    In my view, I'm not sure if I would generalize and say GG items haven't retained their value. There are some mini busts that sell for low prices, as finished Ebay auctions show, because thousands of them were produced and most people have them, but there is also a good number of their product retaining its value rather well and selling for prices higher than its original price. There are people that have lost interest on what GG produces and have focused on products from other makers such Hot Toys, XM, Sideshow, basically because they offer wanted items faster and better likeness. So, I would say interest is not as strong as it once was, while value of their product is still there for the most part, except for some of the product made in very high numbers. The demand just isn't as strong as it once was because there is more to choose from these days, thus prices could go down sometimes when some folks want to get rid faster of what they have.
    I think this about sums it up.

Some items are inexpensive now, but others are crazy expensive. The collector base has shrunk with the production numbers and insane number of other things people can collect. I've got about 175 mini-busts and last year I spent an afternoon looking at completed eBay auctions. The math I did said that if I sold my collection, one at a time, and got about what they end at - I'd have ended up with about $16,500 - I don't think that a little under $100 a piece on average is a small or insignificant value, and it had me tempted to start selling.