Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Academia"

"Academia"

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-44320627

I'm more interested in why Star Wars is being singled out from the rest of cinema in it's entirety myself.
    May you live in interesting times.

So this is a worthwhile piece of research in your opinion? Or are you resorting to a personal insinuation in spite of the fact that I have made no political comment?

I am interested in why SW is being singled out and not other franchises? Trek? Fast and Furious? Alien? Terminator? Predator? Marvel? Bridget Jones?

Or is it quite normal for people to like some things and not others without having to harp on about it? Is this a good use of university money when they are likely researching medical issues in another building down the street?

No aluminium foil required thanks. But the reactionary post is quite telling insofar as you missed the point completely.
    Last edited by darthsatan; 06-02-2018 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    I am interested in why SW is being singled out and not other franchises? Trek? Fast and Furious? Alien? Terminator? Predator? Marvel? Bridget Jones?
    every other franchise has already had articles about this it's called the Bechtel test

So will you add materially to the sought-for adult debate by posting up some results comparisons? Or will you answer the original question posed, as to whether this is all worthwhile in the first place? Or will you you do something silly that reinforces my original decision to have you on 'ignore'? Uh huh.

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious_Fan View Post
    every other franchise has already had articles about this it's called the Bechtel test
    Perhaps, before commenting, you should read the article.

While recent Star Wars films have improved screen time for female roles, Dr Harrison says they still struggle to pass the "Bechdel test".

This test requires a film to include at least two women, who talk to each other about something other than a man.
    I guess words are more difficult than youtube videos, eh Steve?

As to the article, I'm not sure it's really useful for anything other than a statistic. I mean, it can be used to reinforce the notion that Disney has an agenda to push women - but really, the Disney films in question each have a female as the main lead character, so you'd expect that percentage to rise.

I think a more meaningful study would be to somehow quantify that research into a relative study of how much power or authority women have per film.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Perhaps, before commenting, you should read the article.

I guess words are more difficult than youtube videos, eh Steve?

As to the article, I'm not sure it's really useful for anything other than a statistic. I mean, it can be used to reinforce the notion that Disney has an agenda to push women - but really, the Disney films in question each have a female as the main lead character, so you'd expect that percentage to rise.

I think a more meaningful study would be to somehow quantify that research into a relative study of how much power or authority women have per film.

Ian
    facepalm.... yup right over your head as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    reinforce the notion that Disney has an agenda to push women - but really, the Disney films in question each have a female as the main lead character, so you'd expect that percentage to rise.
    It's definitely reinforced the idea that SW still has a way to go in proportionally representing 50% of the population. Hopefully we see that improve in future films : )

Quote Originally Posted by Internets View Post
    It's definitely reinforced the idea that SW still has a way to go in proportionally representing 50% of the population. Hopefully we see that improve in future films : )
    haven't you heard women don't watch Star Wars so there should never be a star wars movie with women in it

•    
    Quote Originally Posted by Internets View Post
    Hmmm...Star WARS

Better go tell every military in the world they need to have 50% representation by women. Or political offices.

Just because they can, doesn't mean it's realistic. It's not that way in real life, so why push it into a film?

Oh, and Steve, no surprise on your response, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ian
    BACK FROM THE DEAD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast