Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Academia"

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Hmmm...Star WARS

Better go tell every military in the world they need to have 50% representation by women. Or political offices.

Just because they can, doesn't mean it's realistic. It's not that way in real life, so why push it into a film?

Ian
    .............. just when I think you can't come up with a less intelligent response....

so you're argument on why they shouldn't have more women in the movie is because it's not that way in real life..... yet ignoring the aliens.... robots, space ships, laser swords and magic powers... because those are real.... right..

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    Better go tell every military in the world they need to have 50% representation by women. Or political offices.
    There are numerous initiatives to address the gender balance in the military and politics but I agree that they should be doing more.
    Last edited by Internets; 06-02-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vicarious_Fan View Post
    so you're argument on why they shouldn't have more women in the movie is because it's not that way in real life.....
    Now we're getting somewhere. In real life, different people like different things. So, by the standards of equal representation, should every form of entertainment be obligated to contain the same demographic constituents of the population at large? Or are we still permitted the freedom to pick and choose what we like without having it dissected by those with a political agenda to pursue? Does it apply in music as well for example?

I'm in the camp that it's irrelevant and people should enjoy what they like without it being picked it to pieces or have to suffer being dictated to about it. One can reasonably assume the author of the academic piece likes the franchise, so why do this and spoil it for themselves and others? It's toxic.
    May you live in interesting times.

Fallacy of reason.

Dont waste your time.
    Last edited by Scissorpunch; 06-02-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Enlighten please? Genuinely interested as this is not my field.

EDIT: Interesting edit!
    Last edited by darthsatan; 06-02-2018 at 11:19 AM.
    May you live in interesting times.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    Now we're getting somewhere. In real life, different people like different things. So, by the standards of equal representation, should every form of entertainment be obligated to contain the same demographic constituents of the population at large? Or are we still permitted the freedom to pick and choose what we like without having it dissected by those with a political agenda to pursue? Does it apply in music as well for example?

I'm in the camp that it's irrelevant and people should enjoy what they like without it being picked it to pieces or have to suffer being dictated to about it. One can reasonably assume the author of the academic piece likes the franchise, so why do this and spoil it for themselves and others? It's toxic.
    No one is obligated to, from a business perspective it's equal representation is the best thing you can do. Look at the Fast and Furious movies. While they do not have equal female representation they do have racial pretty equal representation and the series has gone from making 363 mill world wide to 1.5 billion world wide.

So obviously reaching a wide audience is just smart business sense.

as far as women being represented well Wonder Woman has been the most succesful DCEU movie to date so there is clearly an audience for female led super hero movies.

No one is suggesting getting rid of male only superhero movies or action movies just in addition to make ones that have a wider representation.

If you don't like it? Then don't go see it.

Male lead action movies are still being made, Upgrade just came out this weekend and it has been getting good reviews.

edit: It's not toxic btw this kind of thing has been happening since books were first being written. If you don't like deep analysis of the art then don't read the analysis. What is toxic is people sending death threats and demanding people get fired because they don't like X aspect of the movie.
    Last edited by Vicarious_Fan; 06-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post

if/when we see only 13% representation of blacks in the NBA (or roughly 1-in-9, to reflect the US population) then we can talk about "proportionality-of-race" in entertainment.

until then, I don't care about race-in-entertainment -- when I watch an NBA game , it's because:basketball. period. (as it should be).

I don't want everyone else's race-issues brought up in my face, just because I like to watch 'basketball'.

race is irrelevant. and yes: people should enjoy what they like without it being picked to pieces or have to suffer being dictated to about it -- Hear, Hear!
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 06-02-2018 at 12:13 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    when we see only 13% representation of blacks in the NBA (or roughly 1-in-9, to reflect the US population) then I'll accept "proportionality-of-race" as mandatory in Hollywood.

until then, I don't care about race-in-entertainment. when I watch an NBA game , it's because:basketball. I don't want everyone else's race-issues up in my face, just because I like to watch 'basketball'.

I agree. race is irrelevant. and people should enjoy what they like without it being picked it to pieces or have to suffer being dictated to about it -- Hear, Hear!
    ok... explain to me how representation in sports is in any way equivalent to representation in movies
    Last edited by Vicarious_Fan; 06-02-2018 at 12:06 PM.

read the thread. re: "every form of entertainment".

I was responding to darthsatan -- he offered 'music' as his example -- I offered 'sports'
    Last edited by Cobalt60; 06-02-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    "Is there anyone on this ship, who even remotely, looks like Satan?" -- James Kirk, U.S.S. Enterprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt60 View Post
    read the thread. re: "every form of entertainment".

I was responding to darthsatan -- he offered 'music' as his example -- I offered 'sports'
    ........................I can't even begin... I mean this much stupidity is just astounding..... .

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast