Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Solo vs Rogue One

Quote Originally Posted by darthsatan View Post
    Maul was always one of my favourite characters. I'd imagine 95% of the Solo audience will not have watched TCW and be blindsided by the whole thing. I think it's a massive mis-step when we could have instead seen Palpatine secretly pulling more strings as part of his manipulations.
    Yup, woulda been so much better for Palpatine to appear.
    ANH, the best movie ever - ESB, the best SW movie ever
    My feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Ian_C View Post
    I'm really curious to see the general reaction to that cameo. Considering the feelings most fans claim to have of the original source material, so far the response has been pretty positive, which surprises me. I wonder if it'll cause anyone to retract their feelings on that source material.

Ian
    I thought it was a really dumb move and I'm kind of sick of seeing people coming back from the dead in these kind of films. Next up will be most of all of the Avengers coming back to life in the next installment of that.

Look, Maul died. He got sliced through the middle and fell down a shaft. It's pretty simple. Even if he survived getting chopped in half, as Butch Cassidy said, "The fall will probably kill ya".

What should have happened was to keep the character alive for the entirety of the PT (and possibly beyond), as he really was the only antagonist that the audience could truly understand. Kiling him off (or not as the case turns out) in 'The Phantom Menace', meant that George had to come up with less inspired characters like Count Dookula and General Grievous bodily harm. None of whom had the impact that Darth Maul did. It was an imcredible mis-step.

He then found himself written into a corner, as it were, because fans thought he was great. Hence the necromancy.

It's just so, so silly though.

The Avengers die!?
    Princess LE-1A's inauguration speech "Roger Roger!"

Bye bye all! I may still peak in the Merch section.

The things is, Maul doesn't "come back from the dead in films like these". He's been alive for the last 20 years and has already made his reappearance off screen.

I think in terms of in-film cohesion and story; Solo was a better film. It didn't feel like an endless series of trials to take a usb plug it in somewhere, reconnect a fallen atenna, to simply send a signal elsewhere. I agree with a previous poster; it definitely was a movie no one asked for and did not need to be made.
    I'm surprised a lot of people preferred K2 over L3, while I did enjoy both, K2 was turning everything into a joke. L3's annoying behaviour, I think, lent itself well with the love/hate relationship with Lando.

Overall, as much as I like the designs and art more in Rogue One, Solo was the stronger film. For what I thought was going to be a terrible film with a new replacement director well into development. I honestly want more people to see it so we can more civil discussions like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Prequellover View Post
    The Avengers die!?
    So I've heard...

Spoiler:  

Fans raked Rian over hot coals for TLJ but no one’s blaming Ron Howard for resurrecting Maul. I guess Boba didn’t die in the Sarlacc Pit either.
    Last edited by DarthCitrix; 05-26-2018 at 02:41 PM.
    My feedback

First of all, spoilers. Some people may want a surprise.

Spoiler:  
    Second, because Ron didn't resurrect him, George Lucas and Dave Filloni did. Regardless if some like them or not TCW and SWR are considered canon by Disney

Third, I beliee so, ys.
    Last edited by Prequellover; 05-26-2018 at 02:37 PM.
    Princess LE-1A's inauguration speech "Roger Roger!"

Bye bye all! I may still peak in the Merch section.

Quote Originally Posted by Prequellover View Post
    First of all, spoilers. Some people may want a surprise.

Spoiler:  
    Second, because Ron didn't resurrect him, George Lucas and Dave Filloni did. Regardless if some like them or not TCW and SWR are considered canon by Disney

Third, I beliee so, ys.
    I don’t consider the cartoons canon. Darth Maul and Vader existed at the same time? Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.
    My feedback

Quote Originally Posted by DarthCitrix View Post
      Spoiler:  

Fans raked Rian over hot coals for TLJ but no one’s blaming Ron Howard for resurrecting Maul. I guess Boba didn’t die in the Sarlacc Pit either.
      Spoiler:  

Rian Johnson wrote and directed TLJ, whereas Ron Howard came to the project after it was written and already in the middle of principal photography. I doubt he had much say or control over that cameo.

I just came from seeing Solo. I thoroughly enjoyed it every step of the way. The actor playing Solo wasn’t a young Harrison, but he had enough swagger to me to make a young Han. Donald Glover WAS Lando, he owned all the scenes he was in. The characters were all likable enough that it made me actually “care” about them and their story. The movie pulled me in enough that I was truly in suspense and forgot that of course Han lives. It also had healthy doses of fan service that didn’t stick out like a sore thumb.

One the other hand, Rogue One to me was like flat can of Mellow Yellow. It tasted similar to Mountain Dew (which I liked) but still was lifeless from the start. This movie couldn’t get me to care in the least about any of the characters. You knew they would all die, but a good story would have made you care about losing them. At the end it seemed liked the writers had to quickly figure out how to get rid of them so they all went in quick, predictable ways. It also seemed to shoe-horn in fan service that felt a bit unnatural. The only thing that made it tolerable was Tarkin, and the berserker Vader scene at the end.

For me, Solo makes up for (in my opinion) the terrible TLJ and makes me lean towards the Star Wars stories as being better than the trilogy.

For me, Solo>R1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesanshutz
    I think you guys are full of crap about this swapping thing going on. How we do know its not you that you're doing the swapping yourself?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast