Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucasfilm is threatening to make a Lando movie

Quote Originally Posted by HothHan View Post
    He (Donald Glover) seems to be a talented person. I'm just as annoyed as anyone about the whole PC/over sensitive/etc movement in this country but talent is talent. I've never seen him in Atlanta or whatever his show is but from what I understand the guy has been a successful stand up comic, musician, actor and writer. Whether you can identify with "This is America" (which I don't) or even not agree with the "message" (personally - eh) can't take away the fact that it is a conversation worthy piece of media.

I don't think anyone wants or believes that there will be a Lando Calrissian movie - but I could see additional Han Solo movies with an extended emphasis on Lando. If Glover plays the part well so be it.
    Quote Originally Posted by keknivek View Post
    Conversation worthy it is. Whether you agree with it, identify with it, think it's self-aggrandizing, whatever... it certainly is a conversation that is long overdue.

I'm no SJW and I'm just a simple guy, but if any person feels the way this video feels it's a travesty in this great nation. It's as deep or as shallow as you want to make it, but if you only take it at face value, you probably aren't ready for the conversation.

Talent is a separate “conversation” than the SJ “conversation”.

When that word is used, it usually means group a is going to tell group b how righteous group a is and how bad and wrong group b is.

There are people counting on you being just a simple man. That video is not a “conversation”, that video is an accusation on many different things. And he’s making a nice chunk of change while he’s at it.

no, they clarified it because it was.... fake news. For a month the press has taken outta context some of Howards comments and ran w/ them = there's to be a Solo trilogy, this spun from that, everything's a progression. I knew about IX before VIII was scripted, so yeah planning a film happens years in advance, nothing absurd in that. And, why would they wanna pull attention from the next spin off already deep in pre-production? (as told to me by a model maker last month on all of the current SW films)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissorpunch View Post
    There was nothing that indicated this was “fake news” prior to LFL “clarifying” the statement. The reason they bothered to clarify is because there is an element of absurdity to it, considering Solo hasn’t even hit theaters yet. The reason why it was believed despite its absurdity is because Kathleen Kenneally has made similar “on the fly” decisions before, like giving Rian Johnson an entire trilogy before his first Star Wars movie has even hit theaters.
    Last edited by jpolli666; 05-17-2018 at 11:53 AM.

maybe nothing, but a film that's supposedly not a good idea and terribly unnecessary appears to have some content that's not such a bad idea or unnecessary.
    Not that Im agreeing with you, but if I liked the name(again not that I’m agreeing with that assumption)....what does that have to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    maybe nothing, but a film that's supposedly not a good idea and terribly unnecessary appears to have some content that's not such a bad idea or unnecessary.
    It’s sarcasm. Scissor punch is a horrible name
    Last edited by Scissorpunch; 05-17-2018 at 12:20 PM.

well, I'm guessing it's like Sleazebaggano, a take on the character's actual name that fits more into his behavior/appearance/habits... what he goes by, a nickname. Some alien dialects/names can't be translated into basic. I only recently learned sleazebaggano was a play on his real surname, not that hes an alien, but you get it.
    Last edited by jpolli666; 05-17-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Ok, so what’s your answer to my question? Where do you draw the line?
    They've already crossed my line. So it's moot anyway.

The only way I'd accept a "Lando" Movie, is if it played out as a direct sequel to Solo. And had the same ensemble of characters, with a new Villain and story. But I'm not interested for a Lando movie just for the sake of it, simply because it seems cool.

If they want to use these movies to introduce new characters and springboard new stories, fine. But We don't really need to milk every character for a movie. Otherwise, why not make a TV series set in Wuhur's with a bunch of Aliens sitting around a bar talking about nonsense?
    Looking for:R3-H17, L3-37
    Sale List, Trade List, Non SW trades & Feedback

it's the hip thing to do today for celebs...
    Talent is a separate “conversation” than the SJ “conversation”.

When that word is used, it usually means group a is going to tell group b how righteous group a is and how bad and wrong group b is.

There are people counting on you being just a simple man. That video is not a “conversation”, that video is an accusation on many different things. And he’s making a nice chunk of change while he’s at it.

LOL every episode is a different alien's tale, like the Mos Eisley book
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterfett View Post
    They've already crossed my line. So it's moot anyway.

The only way I'd accept a "Lando" Movie, is if it played out as a direct sequel to Solo. And had the same ensemble of characters, with a new Villain and story. But I'm not interested for a Lando movie just for the sake of it, simply because it seems cool.

If they want to use these movies to introduce new characters and springboard new stories, fine. But We don't really need to milk every character for a movie. Otherwise, why not make a TV series set in Wuhur's with a bunch of Aliens sitting around a bar talking about nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by jpolli666 View Post
    well, I'm guessing it's like Sleazebaggano, a take on the character's actual name that fits more into his behavior/appearance/habits... what he goes by, a nickname. Some alien dialects/names can't be translated into basic. I only recently learned sleazebaggano was a play on his real surname, not that hes an alien, but you get it.

LOL @ not ready for this conversation and somehow Childish Gambino in his infinite wisdom is bringing the light to us lowly commoners… How extraordinary patronizing.

No. This “conversation” is already being discussed— whether by Kendrick Lamar, Solange or even Beyonce in the last few years. Or going back to the roots of hip hop/rap, Chuck D, Grandmaster Flash, KRS-One, Q-Tip etc Childish is not bringing anything new to this “conversation”— other than seeing an opportunity to get that money while those that need to feel superior to anyone that may be critical of such topics and issues are immediately dismissed as bigots. racists etc. to enforce the “us vs them” mentality.

Apologies for straying a tad off topic. But in terms of should he actually get his own feature film, then yes— I absolutely feel he will be injecting his own brand of self-importance. self-righteousness and a whole lot of his ego into Lando, the likes of which were never part of Billy’s portrayal: OG Lando always came off effortlessly charming and casually refined, not this caricature of some Big Daddy Kane-type that Childish Gambino seems to be mugging for on the posters.

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast