Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Recent Acquisitions - Han Solo Movie (2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklab View Post
    But not a standalone SOLO forum? It's a completely new line look. Every movie of the past three years has gotten one.

And if this is a forum real estate issue? It bears mentioning that there are dedicated forums for at least 4 different podcasts that have not had a new post since 2014 or 2015. One would think that the latest film in the Star Wars franchise and it's associated Hasbro toy line would supercede a podcast that hasn't been discussed in 4 years.

Found an opener Wampa pack from Target today...these are getting picked up quick it seems.

My local Target finally had their Solo merch out yesterday. They were already kinda picked over when I got there. Strangely enough the only basic 3.75" figure they had two of was the Range Trooper. I thought that might be the hardest one to find. One had a bunch of black paint all over its armor, almost like it was painted that way intentionally as battle damage, and a clean one. I just bought the clean one. I'm assuming that's the correct one, and I prefer that it's clean. I had two wants from the first wave, that being the 2nd one. My top want is Qi'ra, but she was already gone. I hope it doesn't take me 2-3 months to find her like it did the FO Stormtrooper and Kylo Ren in 2015. I also bought a TVC Rey and a Target exclusive Han Solo Pop. They had 4 of the Pop, but no commons. I was surprised to see the TVC line already. I assumed they wouldn't be out for a few months, and I had no clue what figures were part of the line, so what I saw was a complete surprise. Unfortunately it looks like mostly repacks from The Black Series. I'm assuming the Rey is the same as the one I already have from TBS, but I loved seeing it on that vintage-style packaging so much that I just had to get it anyway. It's surreal to see TFA and RO on that cardback. It was tempting to also get the FO Stormtrooper and Jyn Erso, but I already have them from the TBS line, and didn't want to spend any more. The $12.99 price tag is absurd. I may only buy one in a blue moon because of it. Rey is my favorite character, which is why I made an exception for her.

On a side note, I think it's ridiculous to not have a single carded figure of Han Solo as part of the Solo line. I understand the strategy of wanting to move those gimmicky force link things and vehicles, but there should be at least something available in the regular packaging for $8. I refuse to buy the force link or a vehicle to get him. I would of bought a single carded Han if there was one. To make matters worse, they did the same type of thing with Lando as well.

Walmart still has absolutely nothing Solo in the toy dept. Just a small sticker pack in a different part of the store.
    "I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett

Quote Originally Posted by GNT View Post
    A new thread has been started up
    Many Solo items still lack their own threads.

I had a de-acquisition. Returned the Range-trooper. He was a spur of the moment purchase, but looking at him for a while I'm kind of 'meh' about the style. Watch though, after seeing the movie I'll probably be all "scored four more Range-troopers today!"

The wal-mart I bought him at was still sparsely populated with Solo product. Target had the full roll out finally. Other wal-mart only had the two packs and scattered TLJ clearance figures.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPete View Post
    I had a de-acquisition. Returned the Range-trooper. He was a spur of the moment purchase, but looking at him for a while I'm kind of 'meh' about the style. Watch though, after seeing the movie I'll probably be all "scored four more Range-troopers today!"

The wal-mart I bought him at was still sparsely populated with Solo product. Target had the full roll out finally. Other wal-mart only had the two packs and scattered TLJ clearance figures.
    It reminds me of a cancelled concept design. I bought one, but I'm not opening any Solo figures until after the movie, to make sure I like it and want to add these to the collection. Its easier to buy it now and return it later instead of hunting for figures a week after the movies release.

Quote Originally Posted by darth_sidious View Post
    It reminds me of a cancelled concept design. I bought one, but I'm not opening any Solo figures until after the movie, to make sure I like it and want to add these to the collection. Its easier to buy it now and return it later instead of hunting for figures a week after the movies release.
    I usually buy very little 'specific to the movie' unless it's something I really like design-wise, prior to seeing the film. The connection just isn't there for me until I see the character/design in context for most stuff. I definitely wanted the Mimban trooper so I just grabbed him (range) at the same time on a whim. I probably would have done the same as you and just tucked him in a corner, but I had something else to return anyway.

Unrelated: I wonder if Hasbro is peppering in OT, PT and ST (Rathtar) with the movie lines now from TLJ on to try to boost some impulse buys from collectors (i.e. us old guys). Like with Force Friday for TLJ, most of my buy list wasn't TLJ related.

My local Walmart finally put out their Solo action figures, so I was able to get the Qi'ra I wanted but couldn't find at Target. They had two of her, but both had some paint issues, but I bought the best of the two anyway. I could of waited for there to potentially be a better one in the future, but they are always extremely slow at restocking, and I was a little impatient.

Something I noticed at both stores is that the 3.75" section has shrunk with each movie release. It was huge for TFA, and an ok size for RO, but small for TLJ, and tiny for Solo. Not a good trend. One factor that played into my decision to get Qi'ra now and not take my chances. I don't have a whole lot of options in my area. There is a Kmart still in my city, but they think it's still 2015. They still have a display full of TFA stuff, and never got any toys for RO or TLJ. Walmart just had the 3.75" figures, nothing for Solo in the 6" line, which is fine by me, because I have zero interest in the 6". I have never bought one. Target did have them, however. Walmart also didn't have any Solo Pops.
    "I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett

Are all these cards showing up bent (with a curve)?
    I hope HASBRO finishes the original 92+ on the Vintage Collection Cards...(approx. 34 needed to complete it, depending on your certain point of view.)

Quote Originally Posted by HaloHawk87 View Post
    Something I noticed at both stores is that the 3.75" section has shrunk with each movie release. It was huge for TFA, and an ok size for RO, but small for TLJ, and tiny for Solo. Not a good trend. One factor that played into my decision to get Qi'ra now and not take my chances. I don't have a whole lot of options in my area. There is a Kmart still in my city, but they think it's still 2015. They still have a display full of TFA stuff, and never got any toys for RO or TLJ. .
    No surprise about this; I've noticed the same thing at my local retail stores. And, though I didn't go to TRU that often in recent years - with the recent demise of that chain, the brick & mortar choices for SW toys has gotten smaller. I myself am not really collecting the Solo toys to any great extent, but have noticed that they've been tough to track down in stores. I bought all that I have so far (very little) online. In fact, when they were first released a couple of weeks ago, so few stores were putting them out that I didn't even know they were being carried at most places.

I think this trend will just more pronounced & that fewer & fewer stores will carry SW toys (and toys in general) in the future. In fact, I think that - for the most part - SW toys will probably only be available online in the near future. This is already happening to some extent, i.e. the recent success of the Jabba's Sail Barge vehicle.

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast